ad: M2Ant-1

NCVEC Files No-Code Petition

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jul 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KE4PJW

KE4PJW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (n8ary @ July 31 2003,10:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I didn't know techs would be able to operate ANY mode on HF. This would be letting General and Extra Class Ops use the same bands as before. Just no cw to get the upgrade.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Remember the novice sub bands? They should get those. They will be on HF, but only in the CW portion of the band. (Except for 10 meters)

2. KD4AMG

KD4AMG Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] UPDATE on earlier post.... e - ham has now dropped this "important " item to # 4 on its list of news items ( down to # 4 from # 3 yesterday ). So it must NOT be as important as some may think, and no the sky is not falling (lol)...so lets all take some words from others on page 3, 16, 22 and 31 of this post and reprint them on this page so it will look original...do it now !! [​IMG]

3. AE2B

AE2B Ham Member QRZ Page

Though im an extra class operator and v.e. as well. I am in favor of eliminating the code. It is a thing of the passed. Still at 5 w.p.m. people have a hard time trying to lern it. I am retired from the Rail road a conductor. And if any of you are fimiliar with emergency break applications or cab siginal hits as well as being next to a screaming 3000 hp diesel all day head end power motors ect. It plays havoc on your hearing. If you have lived it you'll understand. To get a extra class licens with no code is still an acomplishment for those that want to go that high. so I say yes to eliminating the code !!! [​IMG]

4. KX5G/SK2022

KX5G/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (w0dz @ Aug. 01 2003,01<!--emo&[​IMG])</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Just wondering how many of you who are such vociferous anti-code advocates are also Democrats. I suspect that this debate could be a liberal/conservative type schism.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I am a Republican and proud of it.  Calling me a Dem is about as low as calling me a free-bander.

Would someome PLEASE give a technical reason for keeping the code.  So far all I see is arrogant reasons to keep the code.

I passed my 20 wpm, big deal!  It's no longer applicable

DE KX5G
    CW Testing, may it Rest in Peace

5. W6TH

W6TH Guest

QST   QST   QST   QST

My last of posting on this thread, so want to say that:

Fred/W5YI, Chairman
    NCVEC Rules Committee

Had the GUTs to let it be known his feelings as to the code or no code testing, should be kept or abolished.  My hat off to you om.  I have yet to get any aknowlegement from our leading rag publisher ARRL as to whether or not they agree to having the code testing abolished or retained. In my thoughts this is politics. The ARRL is in the middle and not worthy of the Amateur support. ARRL has put the burden on Fred W5YI and is going to sit back and then say and tell all what a great job they have done for the fraternity, in the meantime, poor Fred is going to take it from both sides, but no problem as Fred is a strong individual and can handle this matter in a manly way.

Again Fred, my hat off to you for a job well done, whether or not I am in favor or not, still a great mans job.

73 and hope many won't detest you for your work on the no code. Tough situation ahead  Fred and know you will grin and bare it.

W6TH

6. AG9R

AG9R Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RDAtchison @ Aug. 01 2003,07:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I hope they do get rid of the code requirement. It made sence years ago, but with all the available means of communication these days, why bother. This is all that holds me back from getting my general ticket. I cant hear the tones well enough but dont qualify for a waiver. Learning the code equates to me as having to learn to saddle a horse to drive a car. 73's//W4IXL//[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Dude Ive had 28 Ear Surguries since I was a Baby at 17 and 18 yrs old had one mastoidectomy on each ear with the removal of the mastiod bone, Have Bilateral Ear Drum damage and Exessive scarring on the membrain and ear drum with a 55db loss in the R ear and a 65 DB loss in the Left Ear I passed the 5 WPM we just cranked up the VOLUME, So Excuse Dismissed and Filed in Trash can # 6
    P.S My X-Wife is TOTALY deaf and has been since childhood she can copy and send at about 12 WPM using a flashing light...I cant do it because I didnt have to so never learned it that way but my point is never use someting like that as a excuse there are alot of people that have Hearing disabilities and copy code.
    ** unless you rode to school on a small bus there is no excuse.

[​IMG]  [​IMG]

7. AG9R

AG9R Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KX5G @ Aug. 01 2003,09:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (w0dz @ Aug. 01 2003,01<!--emo&[​IMG])</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Just wondering how many of you who are such vociferous anti-code advocates are also Democrats. I suspect that this debate could be a liberal/conservative type schism.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I am a Republican and proud of it.  Calling me a Dem is about as low as calling me a free-bander.

Would someome PLEASE give a technical reason for keeping the code.  So far all I see is arrogant reasons to keep the code.

I passed my 20 wpm, big deal!  It's no longer applicable

DE KX5G
    CW Testing, may it Rest in Peace[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well Calling me a Republican is about the same there man, besides Im an American First. theres jerks on both sides............

8. N3OMA

N3OMA Ham Member QRZ Page

MANUALLY SENT CW is one of the few things that make ham radio operators more valuable than any other radio operator. CW is not just a radio mode, nor does it require sophisticated equipment to send. It is now even more important since everyone else has stopped using it.

In the event of a major catastrophe manual CW can be sent using any transmitter or any source of RF (such as a high voltage transformer, microwave oven, etc...) Even without having a receiver, an emergency message can be sent. You can send a message via smoke signals or light or banging a drum. CW is a highly versatile and underused mode of communications. It is significantly more reliable than satellites or any communications mode requiring delicate sophisticated equipment to communicate. How well will RTTY work or digital communications when the infrastructure is destroyed? Guess what - even if a nuclear blast hits, as long as I am alive I will be able to fire up my old tube rig and send CW! Let's see if your PC or digital radio will still work!

SSB and digital are great modes, but we need to remember that CW requires the least amount of equipment and will work when all else fails.

There are few things that set us aside as hams and make it worthwhile for the federal government to continue paying for the support infrastructure that allows us to exist. Our worth as absolute communications backup in an emergency is one of the few things that keeps us around. If we loose our value, our spectrum will be taken away and the fun part of our hobby during non-emergency times will cease to exist.

We need to emphasize the value of CW to all hams – code and no code and continue to support it as a valued means of emergency communications.

9. AA5ET

AA5ET Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm seeing a trend in this and other CW forums.  It seems that most (but not all) of the people who are against CW, don't know how to spell!  

Could be two things I suppose.  

One - they could be afraid to use CW for fear of embarrassment.

Two - they are the type of person who is too lazy to learn.

Just an observation,
    Marco, W7WIK

10. K5KDA

K5KDA Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems to me that the 5WPM code requirement is not too much to ask but enought to limit this hobby to people who are serious enough to learn it in order to participate thus keeping it from becoming another citizens band. [​IMG]

11. W7TUX

W7TUX Ham Member QRZ Page

You people dont know how bad your tearing this hobby up. Ive followed this for the last two days.  You have the pro and the con and neither will change the others mind.  
    Im 60 years old and passed my general written test awhile back and will take and pass the code because it is a requirment to get my ticket.  I would have passed the code earler but I was lazy as are most of you that dont want to take the test.  I dont know if I will use it when I get my lic but thats my busness.  Im reading all kinds of reasons why you cant learn the code but its all BS.  Your just lazy and dont need to advance any further.  The code is not hard and it does not take that much time to learn, your just lazy.  

To you guardens of the lower bands, your just as bad.  These remarks you make about the tec"s and the cb'ers just proves what kind of low lifes you realy are. What the hell do you think this hobby is all about?  There's more crap going on down on 80 and 40 meters than on cb.  Whether or not a person wants to use cw doesnt make him a lesser ham. When was the last time  one of you super hams helped a tec or a cb'er that showed an honest desire to become a ham?  

This hobby requires you to learn to advance and I found if your not learning you dont need to be in this hobby.  I also found an unexaustable amount of knowlege from some of the old hams here that are willing to help new people.  

I hope sides will soon get toghether and dont worry about something you cant do anything about.  This name calling is just hurting the hobby.  We and I mean all hams have come into this hobby for different reasons and should not be looked down upon by any group. We should be protecting and cleaning up what we have instead of fighting between ourselves and loosing these bands.

W7TUX  

[​IMG]

12. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey guys, we don't need no stinkin CW! CW pro or con is not the hot button issue. BPL IS!!!!!

I'll bet most of the posters here never filed comments about the BPL disaster but are more than happy to argue about maintaining at all costs, an outmoded obsolete mode. Well ham radio will survive without CW but it most certainly will not if BPL is allowed to go on line.

Wake up you inbred, infighting bunch of panty waist babies.

K2WH

13. Guest

Guest Guest

You know, the way all these no-coders whine and cry about how learning CW is too hard and that it doesn't prove anything anyway, I can imagine what these people must be like to work with... In most professions there are achievements that the elite of the profession earn... These are usually in the form of certificates that the person earns by hard work, study, and more often than not, take an exam to obtain... I have many certificates related to the trade I am in... These certificates really do me no good and certificates for most professions don't really mean much either EXCEPT, it was satisfying to achieve them... The hours of studying, the learning process, and the thrill of passing a tough exam that your co-workers couldn't or didn't try to is part of what makes careers fun and exciting.... Do these certificates get one more money?? Sometimes but not always... Do they make your job easier?? Sometimes but not always... Do they boost up one's ego?? Usually but is that such a bad thing.. Not in my mind... I enjoy learning and knowing as much as I possibly can whether there is an immediate gain from it or not... It gives me a sense of accomplishment and independence... It keeps one's mind open to new and fun things in life and I think others feel the same way....

To me, having to achieve something as challenging as code proficiency and actually gaining something for it (HF privileges) is very rewarding... And to that end, everytime I transmit on HF, I realize that I have that privilege because I put forth effort to gain that privilege even if it was years ago I was tested...

So, if code proficiency serves no purpose, why do professional organizations have programs for earning certificates that typically serve no purpose either?? And why is it that so many people in these professions study for and take exams just to get a piece of paper that says they did it?? And what about sports trophies?? We teach our kids to play sports so that they can get a trophy... For what??? What does the trophy do for the kid?? It doesn't make them money (In most cases)... It doesn't give them anything tangible (in most cases except the trophy itself)... What it does is teaches the person that they can have ANYTHING they put effort into... It teaches people how to be goal oriented and how to learn more and how to put forth effort to reach their goals....

So what's the deal with code??? Why is it that earning a license by having to learn code so demeaning to you no-coders?? It sounds to me like you are so self centered and selfish that you won't do anything unless it provides an immediate return on your time and effort... I imagine people like that would be very difficult to associate with and that it would be very hard to communicate with on an intelligent level as can be observed in this very forum...

14. KD5OET

KD5OET Ham Member QRZ Page

well here is a few cents from a Tech No-Code. I would like to get my general but seem to have a block with the code mabey it has something to do with a high freq hearing loss from Viet-nam?? Mabey a mental block? I have worn out two code tapes and countless batteries studying it. I would like to see code remain for those wishing to use it and they keep their spectrum but there are proficient operators that even with passing the code do not and never would use it. If it is retained I will pass it eventually as I do not quit but if it is not I will be one of the first down to take my general test. My station operation will be well within the part 97 just as everyone elses should be. So Unstead of bashing my fellow hams I say if you passed the code great you have my admiration but for those that do not or havent you are no less of a good operator that is based on your own merit and your own actions. I Vote NO CODE for those that will never use it. Have it a option not a requirement.

15. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kd4amg @ July 31 2003,19:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">[​IMG] i have looked at ehe " e - ham " and the " arrl " websites for more information on this topic, and I found NOTHING at all... if there is any truth to all of this, would not ONE or both of these sites have some information about it ? or did I not look in the right places, go look for your self [​IMG] [​IMG][/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    The ARRL is like a man who has 2 wives that are fighting bitterly. Handling the matter is more dangerous than nitro glicerine on a hot summer day. But if he can get away with hiding in the corner wouldn't it be wise on his part to do so?
    The ARRL is pro code requirement but they can't stand up for that conviction. They will sneak around in the shadows and resist the deleation of code as a requirement but don't want to get caught doing so.
    nocode.org will keep one up on the ARRL's actions regarding the code requirement.
    KC7JTY

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.