ad: MLSons-1

NCVEC Files No-Code Petition

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jul 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W0DZ

W0DZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Just wondering how many of you who are such vociferous anti-code advocates are also Democrats. I suspect that this debate could be a liberal/conservative type schism.

2. N8CPA

N8CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

W0TUT, Thank you--I couldn't find my copy of Silicone Snake Oil.  That is the passage I wanted to quote.

A very odd time we live in.  I think the greatest thrills in my 24 years of amateur activity are, passing 5WPM, making my first QSO, then 12 years later, when I rediscovered CW.  Through the intervening years, the novelty of being a ham had worn off.  Using CW made it interesting again when microphones became tedious.
    The thrill of using CW lingers long after the thrill of getting a license wears off.  I'll still be in the lower portions of the HF bands, when the upper portions are becoming less and less usable due to overcrowding.  That's where amateur radio will survive.
    Steve N8CPA/20

3. KD8PR

KD8PR QRZ Member QRZ Page

Regarding the elimination of the Morse Code test, I guess my feeling is if I and countless others have been able to at least pass the code test(s) we've had to take at an FCC examination station no less, why can't anyone else who is truly interested in Amateur Radio take a 5 wpm test?  I believe the CW test does a number of things, the least of which demonstrates proficiency and a precursory knowledge of a mode that if needed and could be employed for emergency purposes.  The other important reason for all of us having some command of the code, is it tends to illustrate a sincerity of purpose in gaining one's license.  There use to be a time when an Amateur Ticket was an enormous accomplishment.  Now, if we keep minimizing the test structure, what does that do to nobility of the hobby?

I am apalled at some of the crap I hear on HF now, tuning up on top of a qso, deliberate interferences to qso's, guys literally verbally sparring with each other over frequencies and on and on.

I'm sorry, you can call it a "fraternity" or a "good ole boys network" or whatever you wish, remember, when you start "dumbing down" standards the first thing to deteriorate is quality. Ther isn't a Ham on the air today who minds any newcomer as long as they obey the rules when they get on the air. That means ID when you're supposed to and all the rest of it, common sense things and courtesy should prevail. This is my opinion for what it's worth to people who truly love the hobby as it has always been. This is my sincerest hope.

TNX
    Al -  KD8PR

4. KB3FGC

KB3FGC Ham Member QRZ Page

Belgium drops the code aug 4

5. Guest

Guest Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (NJ1K @ Aug. 01 2003,07:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I wanted to be a ham op ever since I was 7 or 8 years old... Friends and relatives always told me I was was not smart enough to learn code.... Even my own family said that.... In my teens I got into CB but still always wanted to be a ham... Everyone on CB told me the same thing, that I was not smart enough to learn code... Finally one day I decided I was going to get my ham ticket and nothing was going to stop me.... I studied code and the license manuals... 5 wpm was rather easy but really nothing to get excited about... The thing is, I couldn't get to 13 wpm without on the air experience and 20wpm seemed insurmountable... But all the time I spent on the air with CW paid off because my speed snuck right up on me and I was at 20 wpm in less than a year... Then came the 20 wpm test and even I was surprised when I passed it... So in short, making CW qso's is pretty cool, but knowing how much work it took to get that extra ticket hanging on my wall is to me the most satisfying... Oh yeah, and all those people who always said I was not smart enough to learn code??  Well, they are STILL on the chicken band and when family comes to visit, I make sure to point out my degrees AND licenses on the wall....[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Now that you've added some context to your earlier post, I can see how passing the test was a big deal for you.  I am more disturbed by the fact that people told you that you were not smart enough...understandably you felt it necessary to prove otherwise.

I don't think Morse code testing was intended to be used as an intelligence filter, although that is the opinion of many hams today.  I am smart enough to learn code, too, and I am smart enough to know that it has to be mastered to some degree in order to use it...smart enough that a test isn't required to prove it or to prove that I won't abuse the HF privileges.  I know that's a faulty argument, because not everyone out there is as willing to follow the rules and be patient with the learning process as I am, and regulatory intervention is required to try to maintain control.

That's my perspective on code testing.  It's NOT laziness, it's NOT complaining about the work or the "stress" of the experience.  It IS about treating me like a responsible adult with the intelligence to make choices.  Viewing the code test as a filter for lazy people is insulting.  Fortunately the FCC doesn't see it that way, and anyone who makes a rational argument supporting the removal of code testing doesn't either.

Thanks for sharing your perspective as well, NJ1K.

- Doug

6. K9KLC

K9KLC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

7. Guest

Guest Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (w0dz @ Aug. 01 2003,10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Just wondering how many of you who are such vociferous anti-code advocates are also Democrats. I suspect that this debate could be a liberal/conservative type schism.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    The continual liberal/conservative clash is a fundamental manifestation of the modern human mind...it is not surprising that it would be involved in this debate as well.  This concept has been brought up before many times.  It serves no purpose but to further illustrate that people always disagree on something.  Code/No-Code, Liberal/Conservative, Democrat/Republican, War/Peace...it's all the same fundamental conflict of opinion.

Now, how about identifying solutions instead of problems for a change?  Keeping the code test is a possible solution.  Dropping it is another.  Telling the FCC what you think helps in identifying solutions.  As for me, I think the solution is already being addressed with the WRC-03 decision and, in part, the NCVEC petition.

- Doug

8. AB0WR

AB0WR Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps it would do some good for everyone, including the FCC, to review the 1st principle in Part 97 of the FCC Rules and Regs:

"Recognition and enhancement of the value of the amateur service to the public as a voluntary non-commercial service, particularly with respect to providing emergency communications"

I don't believe very many of the other services have a similar charge.

I would submit that there is no other mode that lends itself as well to emergency communications under long-term adverse conditions as cw. You don't need power hungry computers to run digital modes, you don't need powered repeater sites to reach beyond line of sight, and the ability to get a message through is still hard to equal.

Even if it is decided to get rid of cw as part of the testing, I think it is important that the FCC continue to "recognize and enhance" the ability of the amateur service to provide public service in emergencies and this would include providing incentives for cw to remain a viable mode in the amateur service.

Tim AB0WR

9. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

You are absolutely right Kevin! Best of luck in the Oregon Section, I really mean it. You understand why.  [​IMG]  CUL OM 73   eric  

BTW, doesnt Belgium also condone drugs and butt sex too? And some of you want us to be 'just like them'? Flame on you lib losers. Waah waah waah! I say keep Morse at least for Extra, say 13wpm.

ALSO
     No one has yet to explain how banned members still get posts here.....oh well, its up to Fred  I guess. Just like that thread on the Michigan bonehead disappearing suddenly. Dontcha just love the end times?   [​IMG]

10. N8WXQ

N8WXQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

With a small fraction of the effort used to complain about learning Morse Code, one could just pass the test.
    5 WPM is a piece of cake. 25WPM is however a significant effort. The petition sounds like a lot of moaning that could be better directed.

73 de N8WXQ

11. AG4RQ

AG4RQ Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kk7ue @ Aug. 01 2003,08:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">BTW, doesnt Belgium also condone drugs and butt sex too? And some of you want us to be 'just like them'? Flame on you lib losers. Waah waah waah! I say keep Morse at least for Extra, say 13wpm.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Doesn't Belgium also have a leftist government? Aren't they also the ones that want to try General Tommy Franks for war crimes in Iraq?

12. K8JRG

K8JRG Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with n0scc make the questions harder more techy,also consider the newer modes that are not in the questions. i as a no code tech will point out a few things.. no one has mentioned..
    1. i remember back in 1995 when i got my NO-CODE tech ticket. one of the questions was .. what are the 5 basic principals of ham radio. and one of the answers was the the advancement of ham radio. if that means drop cw go for it,,, but lets make the question abit harder.
    one more point....listen to the rasicist on 75/80...and all the rule violators,the swearing,and all that. So there are my comments.. [​IMG]

13. KE4PJW

KE4PJW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (w0dz @ July 31 2003,08:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Just wondering how many of you who are such vociferous anti-code advocates are also Democrats. I suspect that this debate could be a liberal/conservative type schism.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Nope, not me. As I have stated before, Amateur Radio is about the only place you will see people that call themselves "conservatives" advocate MORE Federal Regulation. Heck, the only people in the world that are going to keep the CW testing requirement are former communist countries and the US.

14. K6IRP

K6IRP Ham Member QRZ Page

Look---This is simple------The simple code test is a gate keeper. It keeps folks who are not at least slightly committed to the hobby off the HF bands--that's a good thing. In many parts of the US, VHF is just about like CB----We don't want that coming to HF----kind of a no bariner fellas......Keep the code test-------Make it 4 wpm if you have to, but keep the test......Chris---

15. Guest

Guest Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Worse, their petition prohibits Techs from using digital modes on HF, if I read it correctly. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I didn't know techs would be able to operate ANY mode on HF. This would be letting General and Extra Class Ops use the same bands as before. Just no cw to get the upgrade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.