ad: Schulman-1

NASA confirms; the Earth magnetic field is declining

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE7DXW, Dec 12, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Good grief. There are so many problems with this I’ll just point out the most basic:

Band activity is NOT the same thing as ionospheric propagation.

N0AW, W7ASA, K7ZCZ and 8 others like this.
  2. VE7DXW

VE7DXW Ham Member QRZ Page

That is exactly what we are experiencing... as the trade winds stop and you get these large N/S weather systems and very little W to E movement. So are they caused by the declining magnetic field or global warming. Are the trade winds changing direction once the shift has completed!
    Either way that is not good! We do not have time to blame, we need to change the way feed ourselves quickly or it will be a big food crises!

The change in propagation and the observation in the sky is another wake-up call that we can not ignore!

DO1FER likes this.
  3. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Good Grief !
    My Magnetic Souvenirs will be falling off the Fridge :cool:
    G3SEA/KH6

W7ASA, N6EY, DL7ACA and 7 others like this.
  4. K8PG

K8PG QRZ Lifetime Member #333 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

must be Global Warming !

G4HBY and AA3C like this.
  5. K4NXS

K4NXS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

6. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

From the papers and monographs I have examined, it would seem that at least in some areas of paleointensity minima of the geomagnetic field remained at least 10% of the prior intensity, so it would seem be to be sufficient to save the atmosphere - to some degree.

Many of the papers found online are somewhat dated (2006 to 2077) - and others have math hard enough to hurt when read. :eek: (19960022789.pdf (nasa.gov))

Several fairly recent papers have been published looking at the greater dataset of Paleomagnetic records and are quite informative. Like this
    Extending Global Continuous Geomagnetic Field Reconstructions on Timescales Beyond Human Civilization (gfz-potsdam.de)

Rather academic, to say the least, as there is nothing I or anyone else can do other than study what has already occurred and try to puzzle that data into understanding what might come in the future.

7. DL4QB

DL4QB QRZ Lifetime Member #719 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

LOL... :) I need Popcorn :)

DL7ACA and K8PG like this.
  8. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I noticed recently that my magnetic compass is off. It no longer points straight north.

And my toilet is draining in the opposite direction than it used to. And the sun seems to crawl across my local horizon every day.

I wonder if earths weakening magnetic field is causing what I see.:rolleyes::D

K0UO likes this.
  9. KM4FVI

KM4FVI Ham Member QRZ Page

K0UO likes this.
  10. K8DO

K8DO Ham Member QRZ Page

(yawn). Just another end of the world disaster prediction.
    I'm on my eighty third trip around the sun. Heard it all before.
    When the current "the sky is falling" disaster poops out the Henny Penny bunch will just start a new one.
    I'm hoping this time I will at least get a Tee Shirt with the logo, HENNY PENNY IS A BIRD BRAIN
    :D

KD9CMP, WA3MNS, WD5GWY and 7 others like this.
  11. K6BRN

K6BRN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Like our global climate, the Earths magnetic field has NEVER been static and is in a constant state of flux, flipping polarity periodically with increases, decreases and migration of the magnetic axes in between. This is nothing new. Perhaps it's just a "The workd is Flat" view by some that the place we are born into does not or should not change. But it does, all the time. And Darwin takes care of the rest.

EI3IBB, K0UO and VK3VM like this.
  12. VK3VM

VK3VM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Last edited: Dec 16, 2022
    DO1FER likes this.
  13. K5RIX

K5RIX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Al Gore science.

G4HBY, DL7ACA, AA3C and 4 others like this.
  14. KA4JAM

KA4JAM Ham Member QRZ Page

Right. 40m is very unusually quiet. I'm not sure if this happens a lot, or this is a very unusual phenomenon.

15. F4JKH

F4JKH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I am transmitting and listening with a MagneticLoop antenna on my balcony. Means, I am anyhow on the lower end of TX EIRP and antenna G/T. 30W - 40W maximum transmission power from the radio is all what I can get in FT4/FT8 communications.

Surprisingly for me, I have had very good connections in the higher HF bands over the last weeks - especially 10m was sensational with good and steady band openings from Europe to the Americas.
    On the other hand, I rarely get a 40m connection working in these days, no matter how hard I try and how persistant I am.

No idea why it is like that, but I was able to work loads of grid square "firsts".

What I was able to see, on the other hand, was a relatively high SFN of 160 in comparison with summer and a pretty quiet magnetic field (A & K values) over the last weeks.

73!

W4HM likes this.