ad: MLSons-1

NASA confirms; the Earth magnetic field is declining

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE7DXW, Dec 12, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. AE0IT

AE0IT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If a government agency said it, then it must be true. After all, the government would never lie to us. ;)

KN4SKF, K9NUD and N5AF like this.
  2. HA3FLT

HA3FLT Ham Member QRZ Page

FT8, number of QSO's and partners, and everything... It's aggravating that you are trying to _measure_ something in this way. Like if we didn't have a great infrastructure, the Reverse Beacon Network. A lot of times there is an outstanding propagation, RBN stations receive me from around the globe using 100 W but there is nobody in the bands to make a single QSO with.

VK3UA likes this.
  3. W8VIJ

W8VIJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Baloney! Nothing more than a distraction by the Deep State Cabal.

4. VK5OHR

VK5OHR Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

W9EBE likes this.
  5. N6JSX

N6JSX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Science has conclusive proof that the poles have flipped per rocks from the Atlantic Rift, about every 250K years, with the last flip was ~42K years.
    https://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/2012-poleReversal.html
    We are measuring the magnetic North Pole location moving (confusing Santa's navigation to return home - ha ha).

What we do not know is what happens to Earth/when the Geo-magnetic field weakens/collapse prior/during a flip or how long it takes to complete a flip. Or what happens to the Van Allen magnetic protection from the Solar winds/Sun CME/EME's; a mini-ice age? Dangerous (to mammals) Solar radiation for a few hundred years during the flip?
    https://www.npr.org/2021/02/18/9690...en-the-earths-magnetic-field-last-flipped-out

The good news is none of us will be alive when the poles flip a few thousand years from now (wake me so I can watch). We truly need a working Jules Vern, Time-Machine so we can help the Eloi's and obtain conclusive measurements. Otherwise it is all Scientific hypotheses (making for some wild Las Vegas odds). Much like the recent Domesday-Clock change from 2minutes to 100seconds - reasonable guesses per the strained world politics.

I'm more wondering about the Hubble revelation that our whole solar system moves up and down from the mean center of the Milky-Way disk; does position changes allow for more Asteroid/Comet hits leading to an ELIE? (again, wake me so I can watch) My bigger question is - will I ever see a return to the HF HAM bands of the 70's - where I was able to daily shoot-skip on 10/15m with 5-10W to VK/ZL/DU/LR/ZY?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2022
    KI8CO and W7USD like this.
  6. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Santa is not alone.
    Runways are being renumbered to reflect the wandering North Pole.
    How Changes in Magnetic North Are Impacting Airports | NBAA - National Business Aviation Association

And those TOPO maps you have, you should annotate the new offset for declination.
    Magnetic Declination (Variation) | NCEI (noaa.gov)

related - What is declination? | U.S. Geological Survey (usgs.gov)

N6JSX likes this.
  7. N6JSX

Actually the magnetic pole movement is VERY relevant to Southern California T-Hunters - IF they miss plot a degree or two can cost them (a lowest-mileage) WIN, as the miss plot can put them on the wrong road adding miles.
    In the 80's the Los Angeles area (if I remember right) we added 14.5degrees to get true north for map plotting , it's now 12degrees (11.5degrees near San Diego) - we use the latest FAA Sectional chart.

KI6BTY likes this.
  8. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Can't be THAT bad yet, I can still work Australia on 4 watts.

9. K5CO

K5CO Ham Member QRZ Page

WE Know that the Earth's magnetic field has reversed periodically, no one knows why. But it seems reasonable to assume that the field might decline in strength for some (unknown, of course) period prior to the change. Let's hope that we do not have to go for long without the protection of the field. That would have a serious impact on roughly 8 billion bipeds.

10. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

The path to reversal of field polarity requires passage through the ZERO axis.

Should be possible to plot the present and known historical field strength and derive an estimated time ( or DATE) of probable ZERO magnet.. . .

( How deep does my ZERO Magnet bunker need to be ? )

11. K5MO

K5MO Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh NO! Magnetic field problems!!!

Meanwhile, I wonder what's for dessert....

12. W4BUZ

W4BUZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There is nothing or nobody on this planet that can can destroy the magnetic field.
    The maker of it would not give anyone or anything the ability to do so.

Sadly, there are people that actually believe this Qauckness.

The sky is falling, look out !!!

13. N6JSX

An oldy but goodie....
    Ice Age 1978 Leonard Nimoy

AB9TX and W4BUZ like this.
  14. W7ASA

W7ASA Ham Member QRZ Page

We need the UN to make it illegal to have refrigerator magnets - to save the magnetosphere. //sarc//

de Ray ..._ ._

Ps. At my age, I've been through SO many 'Ends of the World (tm)' that it's all just down in the noise.

K9ATS and N6JSX like this.
  15. W4BUZ

W4BUZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No telling how much the clowns paid Spock and others to spew that propanganda in 78, it`s unreal that so many believed it back then and believe the same lies about it all over it again today.
    They did the very same thing back then, paid so called scientists to say what they wanted them to say. LOL

DL7ACA, AC0OB and N6JSX like this.