Loop On Ground Antenna

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KD5W, Jul 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

M1WML and KK9W like this.
  2. WA7AXT

WA7AXT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

reply deleted.

M1WML likes this.
  3. IU1IPB

IU1IPB Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm using a LoG (according to the schematic proposed by http://www.kk5jy.net/LoG/) experimentally for the 160m band, without pre-amplifier, since three years.
    My QTH is located in a countryside in a very quite area. The antenna is surely very quite, but my general feeling is that it has no real advantage compared to the main "Inverted L" 160m antenna (vertical segment of 14m, 20 radials of about 16m each or more). In a really few cases the SNR increases and helps in increasing signal understandability, but generally the signal is surely better from "Inverted L".

73, IU1IPB Ugo

M1WML likes this.
  4. KD5W

KD5W Ham Member QRZ Page

You took that out of context

M1WML likes this.
  5. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

The physics in the empty desert and suburbia use different formulas.

M1WML likes this.
  6. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

One of my best performing 160 wires is a full size inverted V with the apex at 60' and the ends at 3'.

On N-S paths to the Antarctic region it outperforms phased verticals and a 180' inverted V. DXpedition ops have told me Im often 10 dB+ above the pileups and Im in the log on the first call. When I first used it here after moving thats all I had up and RX was excellent but that was almost 30 years ago.
    I call that some sort of a duct and it is only into that region.

Th same 1200W LK-500ZC amp is still in use since 1986 with the same Eimac 3-500Z's

M1WML and UT7UX like this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

This has nothing to do with a loop antenna lying on the ground.

A loop antenna lying on the ground induces a ground-based out of phase current from the transmission line effect.

What you show is a lossy infinite conductor with a matching system to tap into it. There is no transmission line effect.

KR3DX and M1WML like this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Ground antennas are interesting but depend on resonances afforded by the geometry and composition of the below-ground layer(s). 160M is in a transition region where the effects can be good, but are less universal than at ELF, for example.

This is not crazy stuff, just subject to location.

KR3DX and M1WML like this.
  9. K3RW

K3RW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Now I can do my 2200m antenna--LoG! Its gonna look like a mouse maze though

M1WML likes this.
  10. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

Why are so many people on here quick to anger? If you READ the post, I wrote:

"I wanted to have a go at a 'ground loop', which is a little different ".

The point being that, whilst it has a different means of operation, it is an alternative small plot solution for 160m - as the words:

"but still a large-antenna-in-small-space installation"
    indicate.

As always, nobody forces you to read a post, or to respond to it. I didn't claim it was the same antenna. I clearly provided it to anyone who hasn't embarked on 160m for lack of space as a possible solution. I'm sorry if you can't identify people trying to be helpful.

Maybe you can complain to QRZ.com that the above constitutes a 'political post' or something? You can then have it deleted. Yeee harrr!

WB0DVM, GM4JPZ and M1WML like this.