Letter to the ARRL... by W6LG - Jim Heath Youtube Elmer

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by KI5MIT, Mar 30, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NN5AA

NN5AA Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm with you on this, Dan.

&3, Vince - NN5AA

WG7X, N3AWS and K3XR like this.
  2. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Hip boots and snorkel at the ready.
    (The S***'s gonna get deep)
    Ymmv

K6VOX likes this.
  3. K6VOX

K6VOX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Throws a "full" body sealed suit @ kd8dey.....I think we will need an upgrade as the high wall of S^%$ is incoming....

4. KB9MWR

KB9MWR Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    N2EY likes this.
  5. KB9MWR

KB9MWR Ham Member QRZ Page

@AC0GT
    For what its worth W6LG, Jim had some modest requests and likely good points like the bulleted list etc.

I was initially annoying having to watch a video vs read. In a perfect world, KI6MIT wouldn't have posted this here and thus I'd know nothing of Jim's rambling and I'd be happier.
    Makes me wonder if Peter, KI6MIT helps this joker pump his youtube channel earning or something. The post here had no intro comments from Peter.

But since I had too watch to find out, I can say Jim comes off as an older crabby guy who thinks the world owes him something or that his shit doesn't stink or something. (Others have made the same observation)

I am not apt to waste any further time to see if Jim has any real content (like anything technical)...

N3AWS likes this.
  6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

The Amateur Radio Service for many is about some sort of emergency or public service communications and there's nothing wrong with that. For others, the Amateur Radio Service is their hobby and that's not a problem.
    § 97.3 Definitions. (in part)
    4) Amateur service. A radiocommunication service for the purpose of self-training, intercommunication and technical investigations carried out by amateurs, that is, duly authorized persons interested in radio technique solely with a personal aim and without pecuniary interest.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/97.3

"These specific exemptions do not apply to the amateur radio personal licenses. Emergency communications, for example, are voluntary and are not required by our rules.64 Further, there is no indication that most or all amateurs solely use their license for emergency communications; even the section of our rules allowing certain amateur operators to broadcast civil defense communications limit such authorization to periods of local, regional, or national civil emergencies.65 As we have noted previously, “[w]hile the value of the amateur service to the public as a voluntary noncommercial communications service, particularly with respect to providing emergency communications, is one of the underlying principles of the amateur service, the amateur service is not an emergency radio service."

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/FCC-20-184A1.pdf

7. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Couldn’t agree more. Way too many Tubers and “save radio” folks out there thinking they need to entice people to engage in a hobby they may or may not be interested in. SMH.

Listen, I’ll keep transmitting as long as someone on the other end answers....if the day comes that there is no one to answer me on the other end....I’ll find something else to do.

Some people just need attention and to feel important I guess.

N2EY, N3AWS, WD4ELG and 2 others like this.
  8. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And I actually like this OM....at least he tells it like is. Too many of these other Tubers placate to the League, the manufacturers and whoever else is willing to throw a dime or “attention” their way. At least this guy doesn’t appear to give $&1+ about all that....I can respect that. I find it sad the CEO dismissed him like he did, at the end of the day the man is a Life Member...the League should at least be willing to talk to him about it.

Not cool...

WQ4G likes this.
  9. KN6KTI

KN6KTI Ham Member QRZ Page

I find it interesting that this curmudgeon’s letter/video complaining that the AARL’s video presentation was scattered and disorganized is also pretty scattered, disorganized and poorly produced.

Pot, meet kettle?

The president’s response was appropriate.

N2EY, WG7X, N3AWS and 2 others like this.
  10. SAMUELRICHARDS

SAMUELRICHARDS QRZ Member

I wasted several minutes of my life watching this video too.