ad: HamHats-1

Legal obstacle removed to open Titanic, retrieve Marconi radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, May 20, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. WA5GP

WA5GP Ham Member QRZ Page

N2EY likes this.
  2. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The Titanic wireless equipment was almost all in wooden enclosures, not metal. Wood hasn't survived well on the wreck.

Tubes? There were no tubes used!

The wireless set used on Titanic was a 5 kW spark transmitter (with rotary spark gap, one of the very first to go to sea) and a magnetic detector.

The radio was actually in two rooms - the "shack", which is depicted in the movies, contained the operators, receiver(s), and control systems. The "silent room" was adjacent and contained the transmitter, both for safety and to reduce the noise.

Titanic's power system was 100 volts DC with the hull as return conductor. So there was a motor-generator set to convert the DC to AC that could be stepped up for the transmitter. There was no emergency power system, so the engineering officers stayed below in the boiler and generator rooms, keeping steam up and the power on until the very last moments. Not one of them survived.

W7UUU likes this.
  3. G7NFP

G7NFP Ham Member QRZ Page

4. WA5GP

WA5GP Ham Member QRZ Page

Only beat me by seconds :)

G7NFP likes this.
  5. G7NFP

I was expecting that there would be some movement from US or UK governments.

I thought l would be the only one that bothered to check for developments.

I was wrong.

6. G7NFP

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  7. LB6CG

LB6CG Ham Member QRZ Page

Why isnt the states hobby number one stomping on grave sites

8. KD2KNH

KD2KNH Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess that you're also ok with our history being desteoyed by mindless mobs as well. History needs to be preserved for future generations. Lets just close all of our schools & museums as well.

K3XR likes this.
  9. G7NFP

Careful not to get too political.

Although l agree with you on the destruction of our history.

In UK they are destroying statues.
    They vandalised the statue of Winston Churchill.
    Now they want the Robert Baden-Powell statue removed..... WTF?

Before it's even suggested. Yes l am white. My wife is 100% Jamaican & kids 50/50.
    I am against that police brutality we have seen on our screens. But mob rule & mindless destruction is never the answer.

However, The Titanic issue has nothing to do with the above.
    I am a Brit of Irish decent so can understand people's objections.

Some will view the recovery as an attempt to recover & preserve history.
    Others see it as disrespect (grave robbing).

The problem is made worse when we look into the history of the salvage company (RMS Titanic) over the last 20yrs.
    IE: they wanted to cut into the hull to retrieve $300 million in diamonds. To preserve for historical reasons perhaps?
    They have been on the verge of bankruptcy & tried to sell everything they have recovered to date. Court orders stopped those auctions.

So "It's not about money" won't wash.

This recovery is now in limbo.
    Perhaps the best thing that can happen is the US & UK governments buy everything recovered so far.
    Then if the recovery is to go ahead then it should be done by our government's.
    That will be the "only" way to ensure the radio recovery does not turn into a diamond search.

10. W1RC

W1RC Subscriber QRZ Page

You would think that after 108 years at the bottom of the Atlantic two miles down there would be little remaining to salvage. Besides there are peoples’ bodies (or what is left of them) in there. It’s a friggin grave site. Leave it be.

G7NFP and WN1MB like this.
  11. G7NFP

I agree with you.

However, as long as men believe that there are things down there that will remain "as good as new", they are never going to leave it alone.
    I also noted that they didn't simply say that they wanted to recover the mail for historical reasons. They said "registered" mail.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...treasure-inside-crumbling-titanic-706274.html

12. G7NFP

Have a look at this publication & perhaps explain to me what l am missing.

This British newspaper seems to think that recovering the Marconi gear will shed light on the captain's last orders & the transmissions sent & received.

Perhaps they think it will contain a memory card.
    The only record of transmissions sent or received would be scribbled on a notepad, which will be long gone.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1...ceberg-white-line-captain-smith-telegraph-spt

PY2NEA and WJ4U like this.
  13. G7NFP

I had no idea that a bunch of guys have spent thousands of hours researching Titanic's interior in order to produce a 3d game.

They have downloadable demos on their website "Titanic Honor and Glory".

Perhaps the closest we will ever get to the experience of walking around the ship as it was before it went down.

It makes one realise just how much effort went into building that ship in the days before we had all the labour saving power tools.

This video gives an insight. But it's over 2hrs long.

JF1IRQ and AJ6KZ like this.
  14. G7NFP

15. G7NFP