ad: CQMM-1

Lab599 Discovery TX-500 Deep Dive & My Review

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KI6NAZ, Aug 13, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I consider those goofball faces an early warning system: Danger! Attention Whoredom Ahead. I nearly puked the first time I saw that Brady Bunch motif on here.

KC1DR, N1IPU and WE4B like this.
  2. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed. I still cannot figure out why this site allows this to go on That one bandito had 7 vids on the front page the other day. Down to 6 now (at this moment). Meanwhile posters who have informative content don't post here anymore. Just waiting for the Hams who will post rare contacts on TikTock while dancing in their lazyboy.

WN1MB likes this.
  3. W6AKA

W6AKA Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe you don't need the content. Sounds like you're set. Personally, I'm psyched about the breadth of content coming out over the past couple of years, especially as QRP digital emcomm options proliferate. And while I agree that integrity (don't get me started on the dubious notion of neutrality in subjective content) is important, what I'm speaking to is the kneejerk ad-hominem bashing that happens whenever someone puts themselves out there to share information or a point of view in a public forum. The world may not need another radio unboxing video, but it almost certainly doesn't need another round of heckler trolls in the comments section, either.

OLDARCHER likes this.
  4. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

There aren’t a lot of local ham radio dealers these days, and few of those are likely to have one of these radios for someone to see in operation, so YouTube vids are closest thing to seeing and touching one in real life for most people who might be interested in the Lab599. I watched a little bit of NAZ’s video. All I see is a guy showing off his new rig and demonstrating its features, just like any of us old timers (used to?) do at club meetings. Everyone knows it’s not a Rob Sherwood lab test. There are a thousand other people doing the same thing on YouTube. If NAZ is guilty of anything, it’s being one of the better produced and least cringeworthy of the lot.

OLDARCHER, W2NC, WB4NQF and 1 other person like this.
  5. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

That is another thing I have noticed in many of these amateur radio reviews, a definite leaning towards emergency communications. My QRP answer for QRP "emcomm" is my cellphone... of course there's YouTube videos of unboxing cellphones too... o_O

WN1MB and US7IGN like this.
  6. W7SJP

W7SJP Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you misunderstand my point? I think we're on the same page. Regardless of whether anyone is actually being 'gentle in a review' or not, we should still give each other the benefit of the doubt before we accuse anyone of being biased. Regrettably, this entire tedious, useless thread is a perfect example of how that integrity seems to disappear now and then in these pages.

KC1PQA, OLDARCHER, W2NC and 3 others like this.
  7. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sometimes accusations are credible and based off the creator's own statements / open source information. When nothing is done about it, and worse, enabled by front page exposure on this site, it causes more people to be distrustful of their fellow hams. This distrust certainly isn't fair to those who are acting altruistically and in good faith. However, when the bad seeds openly work with and cross promote with the good actors, I can certainly see why this distrust is spread.

As humans, not just radio amateurs, we should aspire to be better and trust in our fellow man. I'm sorry if my trust and faith is harder to earn...but my skepticism is high because of the verifiable actions of fellow hams, other content creators, and the long list of reprehensible human behavior.

WN1MB likes this.
  8. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure, using a cell phone to call 911 in case of emergency if fine. But in a real emergency, when the cell infrastructure is down, your cell phone is pretty worthless. And I think that is what is meant with emergency communications here on this forum.

OLDARCHER likes this.
  9. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

I hate to delve further off the subject, but videos, podcasts, the ARRL, etc that keep pushing "emcomm" are IMHO, just silly. Yes, amateur radio can be useful, sometimes, in a natural disaster. Where I live we get frequent tornadoes and, during hurricane season, we do get damage from hurricanes and the storms spawned by them. I have never had to rely on amateur radio to be able to communicate during an emergency. If I did have to do so, I don't know what those I would be communicating with could really do to help me.

With all those words said, there truly is a definite "emcomm' slant towards many of the YouTubers. I guess that comes from the fact that the ARRL continues to push that narrative. I don't really watch any of the videos as I feel like so many of them are just like an infomercial. I'll glance at some occasionally but rarely watch a full video, they just aren't interesting to me but I am sure they are for others. I guess as long as people keep watching the videos and those that produce them keep getting paid, they will continue to exist. To each their own, but I think that many people that watch many of the amateur radio YouTube videos truly don't realize that the 'personality' in the video is somehow being compensated. Not only that, but it's not like going to a movie where you have to pay to see the movie. YouTube is free. That's because you are the product i.e. Google collects even more data on you and the person that has posted the amateur radio video is either getting free or discounted products because you are watching the video.

AJ6KZ and WN1MB like this.
  10. US7IGN

US7IGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Unfortunately, the vast majority of YouTubers are pompous and incompetent idiots, watched by even more incompetent idiots. There are only a few channels worthy of attention. I got the impression that those who can really give useful information simply have neither the time nor the desire to do it...

For example, a video about a portable radio from a person who made at least 1000 QSO in the mountains and fields and used at least several similar devices would be valuable for me. What can tell me a noname, who turning the knobs of the radio on his desk in the HOA house?

WN1MB and N1IPU like this.
  11. AD4CW

AD4CW Ham Member QRZ Page

Time for me save up for one, I like it.

OLDARCHER and AJ6KZ like this.
  12. N1IPU

You Said it. A lot of pied pipers out there. Having flown bush planes in remote locations and also sailing single handed I can tell you that simple is the best way. Had to use radio a few times in actual emergencies I know that most of these guys who promote emconn haven't a clue. I keep a couple of kits for emergencies and the equipment is simple. None contain a raspberry pi or smartphone. Both are almost always going to fail and in a real emergency you wont have time to sort them out. Damp is your enemy and in an emergency damp is ever present. Simple and adaptable is key but everyone is being sold on the latest idiot box and qrp rig. When your really in it you will want the ability for more than 10 watts out. You all can keep the expensive toys for playtime.

WN1MB likes this.
  13. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Entirely possible I did. I just get rubbed the wrong way by the assertion that hams are a better class of people than the average person. It's very easy to demonstrate that is not the case at all.

As for youtube "reviews" of equipment, I guess I don't watch them for the opinion, but for the demonstration of the item under "review". That's because my wants/needs, operating environments, and goals don't necessarily align with that of the reviewer, meaning their assessment of the device may not be relevant to me. As a result, any bias caused by how they acquired the kit isn't relevant to me. I want to see the device in use, be informed of its features, and see how those features are utilized.

Chris

OLDARCHER and W2NC like this.
  14. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a pretty high bar even in non-radio pursuits.

Two of my other interests, cycling and firearms (yeah, I'm all over the place hobby-wise) are no more in-depth and detailed than the radio youtubers. If you look at magazine-based reviews of each, the reviewer is provided the item by the manufacturer and might have it in hand for a few days, weeks, *maybe* a month or two. They'll do a few things with it, write a review, then send the item back. If it's a real dog, they'll use language to criticize it without coming right out and saying it's crap (refer to my earlier post about that). The bike folks will take it out on a ride or two, *maybe* race it once, then do the review. Gun folks will shoot a few hundred rounds (about what I can go through in a single range trip) and maybe shoot a single competition if schedules align.
    None go into the relative depth you require (1k field QSOs for example). And those are people who get *paid* to write reviews. You're asking the guy who does it as a side gig or a hobby to exceed that level of rigor.

Chris

WB4NQF likes this.
  15. N1IPU

He speaks to those youtubers who actually go into the field with the radio. There are two I know of. One did a scathing review of the FT-818 after field work. Soon after that a Youtuber who commented on the video having never operated it then got one an made a video in his garage operating it from the bench and praised it. Of course his smiling face took more screen time than the radio itself. Whoose opinion would you rely on?

OLDARCHER, WN1MB and US7IGN like this.