ad: UR5CDX-1

Lab599 Discovery TX-500 Deep Dive & My Review

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KI6NAZ, Aug 13, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm still unclear why I should care. I certainly can't afford to go out and buy all these radios and test them for myself. Most "unbiased" reviewers quite frankly suck for one reason or another. If someone can deliver information and entertainment effectively so I can not only learn about a piece of equipment but not feel like I've wasted my time doing so, I don't care what motivates them to do so.

I don't begrudge any benefits you might get from these videos (and the podcasts!). They're informative even when I'm already knowledgeable about the subject and entertaining. Via you and other new generation of ham radio youtubers, I get virtual access to equipment I wouldn't otherwise see around here or have the funds to buy sight unseen.

Nothing I saw made me think you were anything less than objective. I think a lot of that type of criticism is the result of sour grapes, not demonstrable fault.

Me too. QRP and portable have been my one and only interest in amateur radio, so seeing more and more QRP rigs hit the market warms the cockles of my heart.

Chris

OLDARCHER, W6AKA, AD8BM and 1 other person like this.
  2. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This reply isn't about the OP. I have no issues with the video.

However, for influencers that give reviews and don't disclose that they were paid for positive feedback or paid to produce content about a product, you should care because:

1) subjectively, it is unethical

2) objectively, it is illegal in the U.S. and some other countries

3) it could give false impressions for new and prospective amateur radio operators who don't know how to distinguish between shilling and sound advice.

3. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, if you had checked out their web site, you could have seen that all the cables are included, with even more standard connectors on each other end or open wires for power.

OLDARCHER, AD8BM and N4MMI like this.
  4. N0ZNA

N0ZNA Ham Member QRZ Page

I will keep my ft818nd

F8WBD and W5CJA like this.
  5. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry, don't play avoidance.

6. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, more in detail: The other end of the supplied data cable is USB. Standard. The other end of the power cable is open leads. Standard. The other end of the audio cable is 3.5mm headphone, 3.5mm speaker, button for PTT. Standard. The other end of the keyer cable is 3.5mm. Standard.
    If you drop a radio on a 3.5mm plug, the plug breaks and worse, the socket breaks off the PCB. Not with this radio. All connectors are screwed to the housing. So these standard connectors are rugged as hell and the other end of the supplied cables also have standard connectors which won't break if you drop the radio. And it gives you the opportunity to change them to your own needs.

Now look at the connectors/sockets on the IC-705: All sockets soldered onto the PCB, accepting plastic plugs. On drop of this beauty and you're in for a hefty repair bill. Same on the Xiegu G90. There's nothing rugged about these two examples.

So, now I've spelled out the obvious. Better now?

OLDARCHER, KM4WRQ, M5RJC and 5 others like this.
  7. KC2BNW

KC2BNW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the info. I stayed with the hea ier and bigger rode wireless filmmaker and newshooter kits as they use either usb or aa batteries and last a lonv time. The delay is also 5ms compared to the 20 something of the go. I use an old panasonic gh2. That sony you have is nice. I review camping and hiking gear and do ham radio stuff as well. It would be great if you did a video on what you edc carry into the woods or just in general. Thanks josh!

OLDARCHER and KI6NAZ like this.
  8. KI6NAZ

KI6NAZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Last year I did a video on what I take out when I do a SOTA activation. I have since swapped out the Xiegu X5105 for an Elecraft KX2, but everything else is pretty much the same.

OLDARCHER, AJ6KZ, KC2BNW and 2 others like this.
  9. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been doing YT reviews for over 5 years, and I can tell you this -

Almost no one is "paid" to review a Ham Radio product on YT. It has likely happened at least once in the history of the world, but it is very, very uncommon. Most of the reviews are done with equipment that was either purchased by the reviewer, or loaned/given to the reviewer by a vendor. I have had cases where I was given equipment myself that was so sub-par I didn't review it at all, and told the vendor I couldn't do an honest review about it without bashing it. So instead of destroying a relationship with a vendor that could have future positivity, I decided to just not review a certain item.

10. KA4TMT

KA4TMT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well hold on a minute!!! An honest review is where you tell if something is good OR bad, a winner or a loser. An honest review is bashing the sub par and praising the gems. If you tell me you will not give a bad review for fear of hurting a relationship with the vendor then you are not giving a review you are plugging the items you like?? So if you are not paid why worry about the vendors feelings unless future positivity means deep discounts and preferential treatment which means basically PAID in fringe benefits. You will not warn fellow amateurs if something is a complete sub par dog?(A shill, also called a plant is a person who publicly helps or gives credibility to a person or organization without disclosing that they have a close relationship with the person or organization.) Not reviewing to not destroy a relationship....

KM4WRQ, WN1MB, W5CJA and 1 other person like this.
  11. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You need to re-read that last paragraph you wrote. Then, you will understand why there is distrust of many YouTubers and influencers. Fear of losing a relationship with a vendor is why many opinions are witheld... and that is problematic for the integrity of some content creators.

Related question: if you receive discounts on products in exchange for producing videos or reviews on products, do you think it is important to disclose that in the video? Isn't that no different than being paid to do a video?

KM4WRQ, WB4NQF, WN1MB and 1 other person like this.
  12. VK6TY

VK6TY Ham Member QRZ Page

Why is everyone so intent on shooting the messenger.?
    Those saying that the connectors for USB are nit terminated
    etc should read the manual, see page 29.
    I appreciate the two reviews.
    Many thanks again.

OLDARCHER likes this.
  13. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for pointing that out!

Declining to do an honest review under such circumstances is akin to doing a dishonest review. It's a variant or distance cousin of lying by omission.

Discounts on products in exchange for producing videos or reviews on products is income. Ask your accountant or the IRS.

WB4NQF and W5CJA like this.
  14. VK6TY

VK6TY Ham Member QRZ Page

I think Peter displayed his honesty saying what he said.
    I think this has become a case of he who is without fault
    throw the first stone.

M0TTQ likes this.
  15. DL5RBW

DL5RBW Ham Member QRZ Page

And then be QRV with 2 junk radios in stereo = doubling the junk?