ad: Retevis-1

K1MAN Responds

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jun 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K7JAZ

K7JAZ Guest

You can't always hear everyone, due to propagation, etc. Maybe they can't hear your peanut-whistle to a dipole station. That goes even for Baxter too although in his case it's pretty clear he doesn't care if anyone's on freq. or not.

As for the transmissions themselves, as has already been stated over and over again including by the FCC, Baxter transmits content including promotion for his own business. Yes the ARRL sells stuff too but doesn't promote it in their transmissions. That's a difference. W1AW transmits code practice and news items pertaining to ham radio. Baxter transmits promotional BS for himself and businesses. W1AW inadvertently occasionally steps on someone's QSO. Baxter does it with delight. How can some of you not understand there is a difference here?

As for the guy who said we "old farts" need to re-take our ham exams, fine, bring it on. I passed my Advanced over 20 years ago. I don't think there'd be too much problem with today's exams. "Extra class: What does SSB stand for?" If we're "old farts", then some of you "young brats" need to have a little more respect for your fellow hams. When I was a novice, most of us had a lot of respect for the "old farts" who were there in the days when hams built their own stations.... and developed much of the technology we all use today. I think, at least I hope, that the guy who said that isn't typical of most young hams.

One thing I don't understand at all, is why the FCC has become such a department of wusses.

One of the questions in my Novice test years ago was regarding illegal transmissions and the penalties. The answer was "punishable by fines of up to $1000 for every day of the illegal operation, plus possible jail time and confiscation of equipment". That's paraphrased but the gist of it. It was enough to make me think I didn't want to do anything illegal. Now it seems you can do just about anything on air and get away with it for years with nothing more than a few notes like, "we have reports that you have been transmitting without a license, interfering with police, federal and amateur transmissions, running power apparantly above amateur limits, causing interference to television sets within a 3-mile radius. We respectfully advise you to please stop this activity". In another 5-10 years they might even fine you, like K1MAN. No wonder Baxter has no respect for them, it's hard to respect an authority that acts like a childrens TV-show host.

What happened to the FCC???

2. KH6TY

KH6TY Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry, Larry, but couldn't help noticing that your misinformation is very misleading and should not go uncorrected!

From the CMBO Traffic link at:www.winlink.org/status

Last Month's Traffic (May)  
    Telnet Messages Received or Delivered  = 23222
    Telpac Messages Received or Delivered  = 0
    WEB Messages Received or Delivered = Not Available
    VHF Messages Received or Delivered  = 578
    HF Messages Received or Delivered  = 131068
    HF Minutes Air Time (All Stations)  = 288402
    HF Average Minutes Air Time Per Message  = 2.20
    HF Average Message Size (Characters)  = 1703

Total Messages Received or Delivered = 154868

The Winlink site reports that the "vast majority" of Winlink traffic (99.5%!) is on HF, not on VHF, contrary to what you say.

Don't feel bad - you are not the first person who has spread that propaganda without checking first! The other was a member of the Executive Committee (who should have known better, since the Executive Committee has had the special privilege of receiving that information directly from the horse's mouth (i.e., Winlink)  - Check the "RTTY at Contesting.com" archives for April.

Next time, you just might want to check the accuracy of your information BEFORE making a post, because posting such extremely inaccurate and misleading information seriously undermines your credibility! [​IMG]

Uhhh - ever try to contact a mainland Winlink VHF PMBO station from a $250,000 yacht from the middle of the Carribean?  [​IMG] You can do it on a LEO UHF satcomm frequency, but that will cost $1.25 a minute, whereas using the ham bands is free![​IMG]

Just think, if the vast majority of Winlink traffic (95.5%) really was on VHF, there wouldn't be any significant QRM problem from Winlink stations, like everyone is complaining about on HF, would there! [​IMG]

3. AF4K

AF4K Ham Member QRZ Page

HOW? Because it is OBVIOUSLY germaine (sp?) to the discussion. If it wasn't, then why the heck do you think
    so many people thought of it? When it comes to careless
    QRM there are a number of sources. It's just that the
    three we all thought of were (in this order) - K1MAN,
    W1AW and Winlink/Pactor. We could have added some of
    the 75m QRMers and potty-mouths, but they are less
    active now that Riley has appeared on the scene!

If Pactor QRM doesn't bother you, fine, but please
    stop being so defensive of Winlink and
    pooh-poohing the comments of numerous
    other amateurs who are concerned about it.

Everyone always thinks the opposing viewpoint can't
    deal with "facts" etc. It's just so much rhetoric and
    no substantive argument.

"Have you PAID for this argument?" - Monty Python

4. AF4K

AF4K Ham Member QRZ Page

LOL - of course - how stupid of us to think that
    the REAL primary use for Winlink is to circumvent
    paying for internet access on commercial satellite
    channels in contravention of FCC Rules!

No, those folks on their yachts would never DREAM of doing that - he he!

5. W5MJL

W5MJL Ham Member QRZ Page

I disagree. Winlink, K1man, and W1AW would be the correct interference order. [​IMG]

6. AF4K

AF4K Ham Member QRZ Page

There are no unattended robot operations, and the
    moon is made of green cheese too...

See you on "CB" - the new mode: ECE
    (Earth - Cheese - Earth" also known
    as "CHEESEBOUNCE" - LOL!)

7. AF4K

AF4K Ham Member QRZ Page

Problem? His comments do not "prove" anything...
    unless of course you begin with the assumption that
    your viewpoint is the only right one.

How does listening to both sides automaticaaly make someone "biased?"

8. AF4K

AF4K Ham Member QRZ Page

Hear-say, hear-say.

Since when was our speech so restricted on ham radio?

Do you think U.S.A. radio amateurs can't legally
    discuss religion, sex or politics on the ham bands
    either?

Stating an opinion is not illegal even if it irritates someone else.

"Derogatory editorials" that you say you HEARD
    that he was sending (not that you even heard them)
    are not illegal either are they? Which FCC rule prohibits someone stating an opinion such as that on the air, please?

9. AF4K

AF4K Ham Member QRZ Page

LOL - I hope the FCC doesn't get THIS guy to be their prosecuting attorney or they will lose for SURE!

10. AF4K

AF4K Ham Member QRZ Page

Please tell us exactly WHEN did they fine K1MAN?

11. W5MJL

I said broadcast amateur radio news.  All broadcasts are restricted to amateur news and events.  Editorials commenting on why Riley is a moron does not fall into amateur radio information.

12. AF4K

AF4K Ham Member QRZ Page

Wrong again. Of course articles about Riley have to
    do with amateur radio! He is a licensed radio amateur
    (and incidentally has done a lot of godd for amateur radio.)

I just hope FCC has some far better lawyers than you if
    they want to win in court!

This is all SUCH a pathetic storm in a teacup. All it
    shows is that those of us on this thread have a LOT
    of opinions - and nothing better to do (LOL!)
    YMMV - 73

13. W5MJL

Well winning in court is an entirely different matter. Personally, I don't think the fcc will win, but I am sure they will not renew his license. Whatever happens, it's going to take a long long time.

14. NA4WX

NA4WX Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok
    Here I am 15 years old a General class who has 2 nets one local and one on tuesday on 3.9325 at 1900 et. And even I say DUDE GET A LIFE!! Have fun with your law case. May the best federal agency win!!

Jordan Webb, K4AVG

15. 4S7RO

4S7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

XE1/K7JAZ: Sir, you are entitled to your opinion.

However, if expressing an honest opinion makes me "biased" that makes you prejudiced.

You make a statement that I am "uninformed" but fail to say why you think so. Elsewhere you state the value of ARRL transmissions as opposed to the worthless nature of K1MAN's transmissions. That might be your opinion which I respect, but I am sure there are others who disagree (at least in part).

The theory that W1AW is a powerhouse compared to my "peanut whistle 100w running a dipole" also shows how high you are perched on that horse, assuming all DX stations are peanut whistles! It is not for me to tell you what I run when I am at "4S7RO" and also not for me to waste other people's time, explaining to you power gain/loss (in decibels). I just checked your call at QRZ.COM and found it has had 411 hits. 4S7RO had 2558 (even though QSL has always been via DJ9ZB)!!! I think it is fair to say that a DX station and an avid DXer usually knows what it takes to be heard

You can't be serious if you suggest that W1AW ALWAYS checks the frequency, and/or moves away to a clear frequency before starting on their scheduled frequencies!

6Y5/4S7RO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.