ad: elecraft

K1MAN Responds

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jun 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WA5BEN

WA5BEN Ham Member QRZ Page

When someone else begins to do ONE FOURTH as much for ham radio as the ARRL does, they may have a valid perspective and/or right to criticize the ARRL, and we may start to listen to them.

I have seen nobody - and no organization - that has any agenda other than ARRL-bashing. I have seen no POSITIVE action from anyone other than the ARRL.

Of course, they aren't perfect, but they have one thing going for them -- they aren't afraid to try! If some people would devote ONE TENTH the energy they devote to criticising everyone else to CONSTRUCTIVE actions, we might all benefit.

Gee, I'm sorry I didn't hear someone on the frequency -- but, after the other guy in the QSO finally spoke up AFTER he did not answer my "frequency in use" query (and AFTER my CQ), I STILL couldn't hear the guy. It HAS happened to everyone! It will continue to happen. Get over it! It isn't intentional in 99% of the cases.

2. WA5BEN

No "interference" is being pushed by anyone! There are no "automatic robots" on the air. This is the standard garbage that is being foisted upon those who are gullible.

Little things like FACTS do make fantasy so difficult!

3. KF4FHS

KF4FHS Ham Member QRZ Page

How can you guys ALWAYS find a way to turn ANY topic into a "Winlink Bash"?  (And why can't you deal with FACTS, not fantasy?)[/quote]
    James, WA5BEN

It is a fact that Pactor Robots transmit over QSO's in progress.

It is a fact that Pactor Robots do not identify themselves if they do not connect.

It is a fact that I asked Correnman and Waterman to make a CW id a default setting, in the event that no connect was made.

It is a fact that they refused to do so because " they  felt it would clutter up the band with a bunch of CW id's"

I have the emails and I have the screenshots to prove what I'm saying is fact, not fantasy.

Would you care to enlighten us with some of your "facts" ?

73, Bernie / KF4FHS

4. N5PVL

N5PVL Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that if you quote the part of PART97 that W1AW operates under ( imformation and bulletins of interest to amateurs ) a lot of the confusion related to this issue will dissipate.

Charles Brabham, N5PVL

Director: USPacket
    Admin: HamBlog.Com
    Webmaster: HamPoll.Com
    Weblog: N5PVL's Blog

5. N6BOA

N6BOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow...things have really digressed and gone downhill since earlier today, the way it usually goes with these threads. Goodnight all and enjoy!

73 :rock:

6. WA5BEN

James, WA5BEN

It is a fact that Pactor Robots transmit over QSO's in progress.

It is a fact that Pactor Robots do not identify themselves if they do not connect.

It is a fact that I asked Correnman and Waterman to make a CW id a default setting, in the event that no connect was made.

It is a fact that they refused to do so because " they felt it would clutter up the band with a bunch of CW id's"

I have the emails and I have the screenshots to prove what I'm saying is fact, not fantasy.

Would you care to enlighten us with some of your "facts" ?

73, Bernie / KF4FHS[/QUOTE]
    Item 1: PACTOR stations are not required to give a CW ID. The ID in the frame is sufficient.

Item 2: There is NO NADA ZERO unattended "robot" operation. If a connect is initiated, it is a commanded connect. An unattended station MAY respond to a connect request.

Item 3: Please explain why it is inappropriate for a ham station in whatever location to send or receive e-mail using an HF link. As long as there is no pecuniary interest, it is legal.

Item 4: The primary purpose behind Winlink and the like is to support emergebncy communications. If the systems are not tested and in daily operation they WILL NOT WORK when they are needed to work. Guaranteed FACT!

Item 5: The VAST majority of Winlink traffic is on VHF, UHF, and microwave. VHF, UHF, and microwave offer MUCH higher speeds - and MUCH lower error rates than HF. Why would traffic be carried on anything but the most rapid method?

Item 6: Only 24 "hub" stations are on HF - and they do not communicate with each other on HF. They also only RESPOND to connect requests.

Item 7: The connect sequence in PACTOR carries the callsign of the called station, and of the sender. Quoting: "The calling station ('master') sends special synchronization packets: /head (100 bd)/..address (8 bytes, 100 bd)../..address (8bytes, 100 bd) Normally, the receiver only uses the 100-baud-section to achieve a fast synchronization. The 200-baud-section supplies additional information about the channel quality: if it is received correctly, the first CS will be CS4, otherwise CS1 is sent. After in turn having synchronized a CS4 or CS1, the master will continue with sending normal data packets at 200 or 100 baud, respectively. The first transmitted characters contain the 'system level number' (PACTOR software-version), followed by the master address (callsign)."

7. KF4FHS

KF4FHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Item 1:  PACTOR stations are not required to give a CW ID.  The ID in the frame is sufficient.

Item 2:  There is NO NADA ZERO unattended "robot" operation.  If a connect is initiated, it is a commanded connect.  An unattended station MAY respond to a connect request.

Item 3:  Please explain why it is inappropriate for a ham station in whatever location to send or receive e-mail using an HF link.  As long as there is no pecuniary interest, it is legal.

Item 4:  The primary purpose behind Winlink and the like is to support emergebncy communications.  If the systems are not tested and in daily operation they WILL NOT WORK when they are needed to work.  Guaranteed FACT!

Item 5:  The VAST majority of Winlink traffic is on VHF, UHF, and microwave.  VHF, UHF, and microwave offer MUCH higher speeds - and MUCH lower error rates than HF.  Why would traffic be carried on anything but the most rapid method?

Item 6:  Only 24 "hub" stations are on HF - and they do not communicate with each other on HF.  They also only RESPOND to connect requests.

Item 7:  The connect sequence in PACTOR carries the callsign of the called station, and of the sender.  Quoting:  "The calling station ('master') sends special synchronization packets: /head (100 bd)/..address (8 bytes, 100 bd)../..address (8bytes, 100 bd) Normally, the receiver only uses the 100-baud-section to achieve a fast synchronization. The 200-baud-section supplies additional information about the channel quality: if it is received correctly, the first CS will be CS4, otherwise CS1 is sent. After in turn having synchronized a CS4 or CS1, the master will continue with sending normal data packets at 200 or 100 baud, respectively. The first transmitted characters contain the 'system level number' (PACTOR software-version), followed by the master address (callsign)."[/quote]
    Item 1. A CW ID is not required, but a station IS required to identify.

Item 2. If there are NO unattended robot stations, then I wonder why the real live human person that is "controlling" the station, would transmit on the same frequency of a QSO already in progress ?

Item 3. Didja ever hear of the internet ?

Item 4. I admire whatever value that Winlink has in emergency communicatios. What I don't admire is the fact that the "big guys" of Winlink have pretty much setup their own set of rules.

Item 5.  That's a good place for it !!

Item 6. This one's got me confused. If there are only 24 "hub" stations on HF, and they don't communicate with each other, then who initiates the connect request ? And who do they communicate with ?

Item 7. If the Winlink connect sequence carries the senders callsign, why is the "slave" callsign the only one ever seen ?

8. ND3R

ND3R Ham Member QRZ Page

What is wrong with this picture, you ignorant hypocrites?
    No wonder the Arabs hate our guts so much. No wonder Amateur Radio
    is going down the tubes, led by ARRL.
    Maybe you should go to Iraq and hole up with the insurgents then, jerkwad! Nobody cares about your ads on the air! Use ham radio wisely, like it was intended.:angry:

9. N4LI

N4LI Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, Due Process does apply here, too.

Now, the key is that Due Process can be a fairly rudimentary thing.  And, one can summarily suspend a license, like a DL, pending whatever process is due.

This isn't my take on the law; it's the view of federal courts.  

Peter, N4LI

10. N9LYA

N9LYA Ham Member QRZ Page

Always someone ready to jump on someones typos becuase they have absolutely no other argument, to offer... Attack the email if you cannot attack the content of same. That must be the Ham way.

Huh??

Tells me all I need to know.

73 Jerry [​IMG]

11. N4ZOU

N4ZOU Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't like the broadcasts made by K1MAN and these are no different than the ones made by W1AW. The ARRL has for sale numerous items and insurance. Both should remove their broadcasts from the amateur radio bands. With easy and cheap or even free Internet access these broadcasts are no longer necessary.
    Winlink stations are not the exclusive users of Pactor mode. The ARRL maintains many NTS stations that forward messages across amateur radio frequencies. Winlink is bad and the ARRL NTS stations are even worse and significantly higher in number and frequencies scanned. These station operators are not required to monitor their transmissions when operating and rely on the use of a timer to shut down the transmitter in case of a problem. Any other problem like content or other stations operating in any other mode suffer interference from the Pactor robot. This has been going on for more than 10 years with no relief. There are now thousands of complaints filed but no action is ever taken to stop this abuse.
    Now the ARRL supports amateur to Internet third person traffic and plans on using Winlink to support their emergency traffic requirements. This will require even more Internet gateway stations and an increase in message traffic. Between Winlink, ARRL NTS, and other private Pactor mode mail systems and the ever-increasing use of digital modes of differing modulation and protocol type using cheap sound card equipment and the ever-increasing reports of interference the ARRL is in the process of submitting a major change allowing semi-automatic stations to operate combined digital and phone mode operation in the phone sections of the amateur radio bands. This will become a huge disaster rather quickly. Not only will digital unattended semi-automatic stations start operating in the phone bands, semi-automatic SSB mode stations will also start operations which is not allowed at this time below 28 Mhz. You think K1MAN or ARRL blind broadcasts are bad? Wait till you start hearing grandma on a reverse phone patch calling her son on a frequency he picked out for his semi-automatic voice mail box system (VMB, look it up on google). It's easy and cheap. You can have your VMB call you on your Cell phone when someone on your semi-automatic HF station VMB robot requests it. You can run around and access the Internet via your Cell phone and semi-automatic HF station VMB robot at home. Yes, according to the ARRL proposal this will be legal. No, it's not specific about the above operation but this will happen as an unintended consequence. The software is already available and the hardware required is just stuff you have already, a sound card interface and voice phone modem. Dial-up will work just fine! No need for a high-speed Internet connection at all so the cash outlay will most likely be nothing if you download the free VMB software. This would be even better for emergency communication than the Pactor Internet to amateur radio systems! No special equipment required, no propriety protocols to financially limit access, and no compression software to effectively "scramble" content as it crosses the amateur radio link.

12. K0RFD

K0RFD Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, so when a Pactor station keys up on top of several PSK-31 QSOs already in progress, it is willful, deliberate interference?

That's good to know.

13. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Mark.

By using the term Professional Engineer, he certainly begs the question of what is required to be same. It is a state professional license, similar to other professions and in all but extremely rare situations requires a very stiff, comprehensive exam together with several years of documented experience working for others who are practicing and licensed. And, graduation from an accredited university or college in a specific branch of engineering.

Fortunately for us all, its not easy to achieve registration. If it were, there would be more catastrophies from structure or system failure than typically occur.

Once registered, an engineer is expected, in most states, to adhere to what is usually a rather strict code of ethics and behavior. I'm not familiar with what Maine requires of its registrants. I don't know if Baxter is registered in other states. Perhaps someone else does.

I do know that in the two states that I am registered in, I might have something to be concerned about if I were, for example, to publicly call individuals who are known to be professional engineers Nazis and do the equivalent of sign with my legally-restricted, professional title.

Lee
    W6EM

14. kd4mxe

kd4mxe QRZ Member QRZ Page

15. K3UD

K3UD Guest

Mike,

It would not of hurt my feelings if it was. I typed it out off the top of my head, posted after a quick read without proofing it and logged off. When I saw it this morning with the typos, it was emabrrassing. I wish I had taken that typing course in high school.

George
    K3UD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.