ad: chuckmartin

Jack Gerritsen Arrested

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, May 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K0RFD

K0RFD Ham Member QRZ Page

No way I'm gonna interfere when you're exercising your God-given right to be a complete A-hole. However, if you want us to take you seriously, at least learn to spell.

2. VE3MFN

VE3MFN Ham Member QRZ Page

With the Homeland Security and public safety issues, I'm surprised this fellow hasn't quietly been declared the object of a "wet operation" via one of the alphabet agencies. Traditional penalties apparently dont work for some people and he has been given the opportunity to cease and desist............

VE3MFN

3. AB0TJ

AB0TJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why must every thread include talk of BPL. Give it a rest.

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Someone had impact: JG is where he belongs now.

Reminder: don't sell ham gear to the unlicensed. JG was unlicensed (for several years).

Chip N1IR

5. W0LC

W0LC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, I for one, am glad that he is off the air (legally or illegally). I just hope it sticks. He has been a pain in the butt for a long time.

I just hope he stays off the air.

One has to wonder what makes someone do the stuff he did.

6. KD8AGU

KD8AGU QRZ Member QRZ Page

Well, Jack will be off the air for quite a while. Even if he's acquitted, he's still off the air until the trial ends because he'll either be unable to post the bail or, if he does post bail, if he's caught with any sort of transmitting equipment, bail gets revoked and he's in jail.

Everyone in LA can rest easier...the nightmare of the lid is over for the next 6 months, at least...with a conviction, make it permamently as I seriously doubt that if/when he's convicted, he'll make it out of prison alive. There's a good chance that he'd die from old age related ailments. Also, his arrest should keep copycats off the air for a while, so, hopefully you LA posters will be able to throw a "Good-Bye, Jack" party in the next few months.

I wouldn't hope to sit on the jury, though. It's obvious that Hams in the LA Basin want to string Jack up by his {censored!} Given what Jack's accused of...I'd pick a number and hope it's called so I could be the first person to pull the soap out of Jack's hands, especially if "Big Bubba" was there and serving a 20 year sentance and...you get the picture.

7. WB6ANP

WB6ANP Ham Member QRZ Page

From what I understand, by being a member of a club that was often hit by this gentleman, that he had friends buy the radios for him.

8. KD7WHQ

KD7WHQ QRZ Member QRZ Page

NOT hijacking the thread, but;

K4JF, only partially true. I can walk into a pawnshop, or gunshop, and walk out with a Curio and Relic listed firearm with NO background check.

Licenses are a nice thing [​IMG]

9. KG6YTZ

KG6YTZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm guessing - guessing, not stating a fact - that it probably wasn't. I don't recall hearing that Jack had any HF equipment, and I don't think that tiny rental property of his had anywhere near enough space for an HF antenna. Such an antenna would also have been far too conspicuous and a very easy target for those who wished to pull it down, as has been done to his antennas in the past.

Furthermore, I really wouldn't describe Jack's voice as having any kind of strong accent. A little bit of a drunken drawl, perhaps, but definitely not a strong accent. Ask W6DCE for some of his recordings of Jack.

10. VK3USA

VK3USA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

well done

11. K1JWM

K1JWM Ham Member QRZ Page

12. K6LCS

K6LCS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

>>...Why did Ham shops sell Jack new equipment?

He had others purchase for him - which is a difficult thing to predict.

And despite any contrary rumor, Ham Radio Outlet has not directly sold Gerritsen any radio equipment.

Clint Bradford, K6LCS

13. K6LCS

K6LCS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

>>...he only has to post 10 percent of that to get out of jail...

No - the bail amount is $250K - cash or real estate.

Clint Bradford, K6LCS

14. KG6QCI

KG6QCI Ham Member QRZ Page

I see that that hearing is on May 25th.If they have puplic access to the hearing? We aught to pack that place. When the judge looks out over a sea of angery faces? He wont be so light on the "canned ex-ham"

If he dose spring his bail? Keep those radios tuned and the tape recorders ready. Any peep from him should be sent to the fed's. Bail would be nixed and his hide will be back in the whos-kowl. It wouldent fare well with the judge eather duing the hearing.

15. KA3RFE

KA3RFE QRZ Member QRZ Page

Just for my own benefit I'm going to check with the Feds locally and find out. I remember a Supreme Court case a few years back that loosend Fed bail policy.

The only reason I'm going to ask is that a full payment of $250,000 doesn't sound like its correct to me. Bond can be secured by putting up real estate but that's not a full payment. You don't trade the real estate in in return for getting out of jail. You lose the real estate if you fail to show for court, but you don't give it away to the Feds to get out of jail, so it's not a full payment deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.