ad: Sussex-1

Jack Gerritsen Arrested

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, May 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

United States Courthouse
    312 North Spring Street
    Los Angeles, California 90012

From a May 5, 2005 PRESS RELEASE

UNAUTHORIZED RADIO OPERATOR ARRESTED FOR JAMMING SEVERAL GOVERNMENT FREQUENCIES

Los Angeles, CA - A Bell, California man who was convicted five years ago of interfering with police radio transmissions was arrested this morning on federal charges of "jamming" radio frequencies being used by the United States military, the United States Coast Guard, and other law enforcement and public safety agencies.

Jack Gerritsen, 68, was arrested without incident at his residence by special agents with the Federal Bureau of Investigation, who received the support of the Federal Communications Commission. Gerritson is scheduled to make his initial appearance this afternoon in United States District Court in Los Angeles.

The Federal Communications Commission has been investigating illegal radio transmissions linked to Gerritsen for the past four years. According to a criminal complaint filed in this case, an FCC investigation revealed that Gerritsen "often transmits his prerecorded political messages, and real-time harassment and profanity, for hours at a time, often making it impossible for licensed radio operators to use the public frequencies."

Five years ago, Gerritsen was convicted in state court of interfering with a police radio frequency, and he was sentenced to 38 months in prison. Gerritsen was released from prison on July 28, 2003, and soon after the FCC began receiving complaints about his activity on the airwaves, according to the complaint. Because of his continued unlawful radio transmissions, the FCC issued three "notices of apparent liability for forfeiture" for a total of $52,000.

The FCC has received complaints concerning Gerrisens activities from Ham radio operators and various agencies, including the military, the Coast Guard, local police departments and the American Red Cross. The complaint specifically alleges that Gerritsen:

- interfered with, or jammed, a radio frequency being used by the Bell Gardens Police Department on November 6, 2003;
    - interfered with a radio frequency being used by the Los Angeles City Fire Department Auxiliary Communications during a training exercise on July 24, 2004;
    - interfered with a Coast Guard Auxiliary amateur operator, who was assisting the Coast Guard during a search and rescue operation on October 29, 2004;
    - interfered with American Red Cross radio transmissions on January 14, 2005, while the agency was preparing for disaster relief operations at the Prado Dam; and
    - caused the cancellation of Army Reserve homeland security training events on March 10, 2005 when he interfered with the Military Affiliate Radio System.

A criminal complaint filed Wednesday afternoon charges Gerritsen with a felony charge of malicious interference with a communications system operated by the United States and a misdemeanor count of transmitting radio signals without a license. The two charges carry a potential penalty of 11 years in federal prison.

An criminal complaint contains allegations that a defendant has committed a crime. Every defendant is presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty.

This case is the product of an investigation by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, which received substantial assistance from the Federal Communications Commission.

#####
    Release No. 05-070

2. N7MK/SK2024

N7MK/SK2024 Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Couldn't have happened to a more deserving individual. Just too bad it was so long in the making.

m

3. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wonderful News.. sounds like this guy has been causing troubles everywhere. Glad that they are going to put a stop to it. I don't see anyway this guy can possibly walk free.

4. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Glad you posted this promptly, Fred.

Jack is a pathetic example of a few who have gone over the edge.

I would hope that the Federal District Judge or Judge Magistrate who presides over his araignment denies bail, since Gerritsen has amply demonstrated that even after jail time, orders to not possess radio transmitting equipment, etc., that he clearly would continue incessant jamming.

Although his equipment was ostensibly confiscated by the FBI, all of us know how easily he could obtain more.

This guy needs a few years in the cooler.  I'm not sure if 11 would be enough.......

There's more on this on theARRL homepage.

Lee
    W6EM

5. KV4DZ

KV4DZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Glad they busted this fellow, before he crashed a plane or stopped a medical transport.

one time a man,....Twice a child.

6. W5NL

W5NL Ham Member QRZ Page

Good news. Put him away.

Next job: K1MAN

7. KD7WHQ

KD7WHQ QRZ Member QRZ Page

Alrighty then!

This news made my day [​IMG]

8. KD5PMU

KD5PMU Ham Member QRZ Page

Great News Maybe Just Maybe that will give all these other jerks and ya'll know who yall are.
    The Ones Interfering with Ham Radio communications Military communications and public service Comms something to think about The next time they decide to get thier thrills.
    Excellent Job by the FBI FCC and all others involved There just is no room for interference harrasment on the FCC licensed radio frequencies by anyone Zero Tolerance as far as thata goes.Again Great Job Done By The FBI & The FCC.

9. N7SPY

N7SPY Ham Member QRZ Page

Normally I don't like to wish evil and mean things to people...

... but, based on what I've read about Mr. Gerritsen and how much dishonor he has brought to the hobby, I'll make an exception.

I'm dying to find out how Mr. Gerritsen manages to get out of this one.

10. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, then, how about applying this same logic to BPL operators. When notified that they are generating harmful interference to licensed communications, make them cease and desist or throw them in jail as well, since once notified they are no longer incidental interferers.

Gerritsen is a single source. Imagine what BPL's going to do to low band VHF public safety; VHF TV channels 2-6; maritime and aircraft HF, short wave broadcasting, and of course, us........

Lee
    W6EM

11. KF0G

KF0G Ham Member QRZ Page

..my dos cenatavos..  why are we so quick to condemn and so slow to assist?  it seems to me this individual has some issues, other than radio operation.  someone who gets mad and says "see how big my signal is!!" is a case of temporary insanity (violent emotion per Spock).  that to me is a bit funny, human, and correctable.   what is going on with this "dude", is someone who needs some help, not 11 years in jail, with real criminals, and unfortunately, many people with psychological issues.   i play by the FCC rules when i use a radio, but the rules of humanity and compassion covers it also, along with anything else.  this 68 year old ham radio peer should be getting some mental and/or physical health assistance, becase his behaviour seems to be a classic case of a cry for help.  what if it was your brother, uncle, nephew?  or you?  people do tend to lose thier faculties when they get older.  i believe the heat/sun of southern california affects people more than they know.  as far as i am concerned, just keeping him off the air, at least for a while, is more than adequate.  he obviously does not understand the consequences (to others) due to his actions, which makes him not guilty.   by reason of temporary impairment.
    i believe in assistance and rehabilitation over punitive retaliation.  thank you, in all honesty ham radio is the best group of folks i have ever seen.  please keep up the reputation for your generosity to others in need.  
    robert, cm97  kg6pib-9  peace in babylon.  73 all.

12. W5MJL

W5MJL Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, is this Cinco de Mayo Fools day? [​IMG]

13. AE4TM

AE4TM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm glad this dangerous person was removed from the air. However, why did it take five years from the time he was convicted to arrest him? From the way this article was written, he was convicted before Sept 11th and he had to interfere with the military before any arrest was made. Most ham QRM is hams interfering with other hams. Does it take five years to see action in these cases?

Ed

14. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Does this person have the capacity to understand that what he has done could have killed or injured someone or aggravated damage to property?

From what I have heard about him, I think he probably does.

Unlike someone who talks about taking their own life to get attention in what would otherwise be a victimless crime to others in society, this fellow would eventually cause harm to others. One of his alleged former actions for which he was sentenced in CA courts allowed criminals to escape from police. That surely didn't invoke pity or sympathy as I recall.

So, does this look like an individual asking for help? Not in my book. He needs to be kept under some form of confinement to protect the public, IMO.

Lee
    W6EM

15. K7FE/SK2017

K7FE/SK2017 QRZ Lifetime Member #1 Platinum Subscriber Life Member

This arrest was so over due.  It scares the life out of me to imagine how BPL operators could be allowed to operate for years, or decades without enforcement.

Terry, K7FE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.