ad: M2Ant-1

Jack Gerritsen Arrested

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, May 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KD8AGU

KD8AGU QRZ Member QRZ Page

I believe that you can refuse to sell to someone as long as there's a valid reason. Like stores that say "No shirt, no shoes...No service." There's a health issue there, obviously.

A bar has to refuse to sell to someone who is obviously drunk, due to liability issues.

Requiring a ham license would be no different than if I were a gun shop owner and wanting to make sure that the guns I sold went to licensed firearm owners only. This limits my overall liability because there's probably already been a background check done with the gun owner.

I know that the analogy is not the best one, because the FCC doesn't worry about background checks for Ham Operators, but, I wouldn't have a problem is I went into a radio store to get Ham equipment and they asked to see my ticket. It's no different than my going someplace else where some form of ID was required.

But, I also understand that a store doesn't have to require a Ham License in order to sell someone some redio equipment. But that person is also running the risk of getting a letter from Riley if the person is caught with the Ham equipment and isn't actually licensed. I've seen several letters from Riley where he advises them that it's a violation of law to operate that equipment w/o a license. Most of these were "caught" when Customs reported to FCC that the person had a 10M rig.

Think about that [​IMG]

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Amen on that! I agree 100%.

Brandon-kc0tkb

3. ab6mh

ab6mh Ham Member QRZ Page

That wouldn't surprise me in the least. I would imagine the bleeding-heart liberals are out there, as we write, trying to help his sorry butt out! (Poor Jack ... he has "issues" ... to coin the buzzword they seem to hold so dear to them!)

4. KB7UB

KB7UB XML Subscriber

Gentlemen, Jack Gerritsen was in Jail on a previous interference conviction until July 28th, 2003, so it hasnt been 4 years or 5 years its only been 22 months. Which is fairly rapid for a Federal Agency to move and make an arrest. Cross all the T's Dot all the I's. dont let him slip by on a mistake

5. K7JBQ

K7JBQ Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

6. K8KQD

K8KQD Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess it's too much to hope that this was the guy on 14,300 last week interfering with the maritime net. This person had a strong accent and spoke profanities among other things. After awhile he moved down the band to harrass other QSOs. It's amazing to me that anyone would do this kind of thing.

7. K8KQD

K8KQD Ham Member QRZ Page

8. KG6VCH

KG6VCH Ham Member QRZ Page

Normally I do not wish bad things on people. Jack has been interfering with radio communications for a long time. If this is the only way to stop him, so be it.

As I understand it prisoners are allowed to take up a hobby and the government will help support it. I hope Jack doesn't decide to take up amateur radio.

9. K4JF

K4JF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry, Frank, no, it doesn't.  He has the freedom to speak, not the freedom to transmit.  Transmitting is a privilege granted by a license.

And anytime I sell ham gear I ask for a license.  There is no law anywhere to prevent me making sure my equipment is used legally.  To have such a law would be self-contradictory.

10. K4JF

K4JF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually, if you were a gun shop owner, a local "license" (even if on the books) is irrelevant. Federal law requires a background check for each and every purchase, without regard to some local ordinance.

11. KA3RFE

KA3RFE QRZ Member QRZ Page

Unless I'm mistaken about Federal law, he only has to post 10 percent of that to get out of jail. That won't take much. Bet he makes bail.

12. N6AJR

N6AJR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My only complaint is that it took SOOOOOO long to do, Why did this not take place a week after he got out of jail and started up last time..

13. N6AJR

N6AJR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It is quoted as a "full price bail, secured by property or cash, no 10 % here..

14. W5MJL

W5MJL Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought that too, but someone already posted that in federal cases the 10% rule doesn't apply. He has to post full bail.

15. KD8AWM

KD8AWM Ham Member QRZ Page

nobody should get away with this and he should pay the FULL price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.