ad: elecraft

Inside the Summit-Obsessed World of Ham Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Mar 14, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KI6J

KI6J Ham Member QRZ Page

W0RW was putting summits on the air before there was a SOTA.

AK5B and K6MTS like this.
  2. K0IDX

K0IDX Ham Member QRZ Page

ok... go ahead and make fun of that statement, just remember when climbing in artic or sub artic zones dont forget your turn around time ! i dont think i have been on a cold, windy summit for more that it takes to snap a few pics for proof i was there much less even thinking about pulling out a radio to mess with. yeah yeah I know 99% sota ops will be from mild locals so enjoy !

3. KT4NR

KT4NR Ham Member QRZ Page

Both have passed. See here https://twitter.com/wg0at/status/1248691362716762112

AJ6KZ and AK5B like this.
  4. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Darn. Rooster and Peanut both SH; may they R.I.P.

My tardy condolences to Steve.

Jeff (ex-NH7RO)

5. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

:) Don't worry, I think hikers will exercise good judgment.

6. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't forget that POTA activators also face the dangers of bear, wolf, rattlesnake, buffalo, scorpion and even shark or alligator attacks depending on the area of the country the particular park is located in, too. It's part of the dangers of operating outside of one's cozy ham shack and heading into the wild.

Since we don't have any summits in my hot and humid part of Texas I am faced with confronting pesky mosquitoes, ticks and sand flies when operating outdoors, so my first SOTA activation atop the frosted peak of Mount Everest* will be a refreshing change of pace for me.

* (I'm dubbing my expedition "K2/100 atop K2" in hopes for a possible Elecraft sponsorship) :D

K7GYB and W0PV like this.
  7. K1GC

K1GC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Perhaps, but people have to take responsibility for themselves. Also, quite a few people that I know doing serious SOTA peaks have extensive mountaineering experience and are more knowledgeable than most on the hazards. For the serious climbs, I have found that mostly it is climbers who have added radio to the experience and not the other way around. Of course lots of SOTA peaks are mild hikes with minimal risk, so anyone with that level of mobility can safely participate.

K7GYB, W7ASA, K0IDX and 3 others like this.
  8. N6JPG

N6JPG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great article, Thanks! Whether its for SOTA or just for fun, there is nothing I like more than getting out on a mountain somewhere with my portable gear and seeing who I can reach with just the minimums. Fresh air, blue skies, and ham radio. What more do you need?

G3SEA, K1GC, KI4POT and 1 other person like this.
  9. N5OT

N5OT Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems the list is getting longer all the time.

This author - Chase Brush - who is he and where did he come from? He is an asset to ham radio. As others commented, this piece is better than most.

AK5B likes this.
  10. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

He appears to be this guy: Chase Brush | Universal Journalist (brushchase.github.io)
    In his photos section, he had this photo: Back in February, while hiking around the Angeles National Forest outside LA, @slamgranderson and I stumbled upon some amateur radio hobbyists (aka hams) broadcasting from the top of San Gabriel... | SnapWidget
    Which led to the article we're discussing.

So, he's not AR-aligned per se, but saw something interesting and pursued the story like a journalist should. :)

Chris

N5OT, AK5B, AJ6KZ and 1 other person like this.
  11. HB9EPC

HB9EPC Ham Member QRZ Page

[QUOTE = "AJ6KZ, post: 5799006, membre: 933912"] WG0AT était un chasseur pour mon deuxième sommet SOTA réussi. J'étais trop nerveuse et inquiète pour mon opération pour même remarquer à l'époque qui c'était. Je me suis senti comme un idiot plus tard en parcourant mon journal de bord. C'était probablement même un S2S, mais si c'était le cas, je l'ai manqué. [/ QUOTE]
    C'est les joies des souvenirs lorsque l'on pédale pour exister et que plus tard on se retourne pour regarder le chemin parcouru... Hi

AJ6KZ likes this.
  12. W2KS

W2KS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think I'll pack up my KX3, some wire, and go for a stroll.

K7GYB, G3SEA, WD4ELG and 3 others like this.
  13. KI4POT

I'm leaving to do the same myself in about an hour. Look for me on W4V/SH-021. :)

Chris

G3SEA, AJ6KZ, AK5B and 1 other person like this.
  14. KI4POT

15. K0MGL

K0MGL Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been pleased to chase K0NR, K0JJW and WG0AT many times on 2m and 70 cm FM. With the radio in my office, I can even do it in the middle of a work day!

Greg

WD4ELG likes this.