Inside the Summit-Obsessed World of Ham Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Mar 14, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

At least one of them has passed away. A fall IIRC.

Chris

2. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the update, Chris, albeit a sad one.

Jeff

3. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Not mentioned in the article is another intrepid ham from Colorado whom I think also deserves a shout-out in this context.

Paul, @W0RW, has been frequently active as a true Pedestrian Mobile, another variation of this genre' of adventurous field radio activity. He's even made it onto the cover of CQ magazine.

[​IMG]

Here's a link to an audio clip of one of our SSB QSO's (caution - high audio volume) which was closely followed by W├śRW/PM working CT1ASM, pretty good DX considering Paul was running 1 watt off his back!

QSL's

[​IMG]

AK5B and AJ6KZ like this.
  4. K0IDX

K0IDX Ham Member QRZ Page

i don't know about this sota thing. I fear it will lead to somebody staying on top to long and ignoring turn around time with bad consequences. No problem in warm weather but could be a killer on some high peaks.

5. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Shucks! What a party pooper!

I was just about to print out my boarding pass for Katmandu until I read your sobering post just now... I was actually planning to activate Mt. Everest next weekend to kick off my SOTA career with a real bang....:oops:

KM4FDM, K7GYB, W0PV and 1 other person like this.
  6. KI6J

KI6J Ham Member QRZ Page

W0RW was putting summits on the air before there was a SOTA.

AK5B and K6MTS like this.
  7. K0IDX

K0IDX Ham Member QRZ Page

ok... go ahead and make fun of that statement, just remember when climbing in artic or sub artic zones dont forget your turn around time ! i dont think i have been on a cold, windy summit for more that it takes to snap a few pics for proof i was there much less even thinking about pulling out a radio to mess with. yeah yeah I know 99% sota ops will be from mild locals so enjoy !

8. KT4NR

KT4NR Ham Member QRZ Page

Both have passed. See here https://twitter.com/wg0at/status/1248691362716762112

AJ6KZ and AK5B like this.
  9. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Darn. Rooster and Peanut both SH; may they R.I.P.

My tardy condolences to Steve.

Jeff (ex-NH7RO)

10. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

:) Don't worry, I think hikers will exercise good judgment.