ad: cq2k-1

Incorrect "Trivia Quiz" Answer?

Discussion in 'QRZ Site Community Help Center' started by N4LSJ, Oct 25, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N4LSJ

N4LSJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hmm. I'm googling and can't seem to find anything that says that someone has to be 16 to become an amateur radio operator in the United States, yet the quiz says that "No age limit" is incorrect. Is this a boo boo or are they playing on some weird technicality I've never known about?

2. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds wrong to me!

3. K8VHL

K8VHL Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

From the FCC. "The amateur and amateur-satellite services are for qualified persons of any age who are interested in radio technique solely with a personal aim and without pecuniary interest."
    https://www.fcc.gov/amateur-radio-service

4. K8EEI

K8EEI Ham Member QRZ Page

It's wrong . There is no age limit . There are a lot of wrong answers in the Trivia Quiz . I passed my Novice exam when I was 12 .

5. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Subscriber QRZ Page

There is a report link for each question to report errors.

N4LSJ likes this.
  6. N4LSJ

N4LSJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Missed that. I'm sure someone has reported it by now. :p

7. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Must be referring to the past requirements, when you needed a drivers license to drive to the FCC office to take the exam. :p

8. KK4GGL

KK4GGL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Still marking "no age limit" incorrect.

9. WA9ZZZ

WA9ZZZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There are many errors in the trivia quiz. That isn't even the only error in today's quiz.

If you looked at the summary page after completing the quiz, you will see that where it claims that "16" is the correct answer, it also states that "No age limit is imposed". That isn't the only one I've seen where it claims that one of the wrong answers is correct, then explains that a different answer is the right one.

The other incorrect claimed answer today concerns harmonics. The first harmonic of some fundamental frequency is the same as that frequency. Double the frequency is the second (not first) harmonic.

I often go through the trivia quiz. It can be kind of fun. But it is also annoying that there are so many wrong answers, poorly edited questions, and other problems.

KD1JT likes this.
  10. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No sir. According to what I have read, you were required to walk to the FCC office----- shoeless---- in the snow----- uphill both ways.

W4KYR, VE6CLG, G3ZBP and 1 other person like this.
  11. KA3CTQ

KA3CTQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Got my license at 12, be it was in the 1970's.

I have had several scouts get there license at the age of 12, 13, 15, and 17. This was in the past couple years.

12. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

I pinged the QRZ Trivia editor and he has now fixed the problem. The person who had submitted the question way back when apparently got confused on which button to click for the correct answer. The "No age limit" being the correct answer had "Age 16" right above it and he selected the wrong one as "correct".

He was very clear in his listed "reason" that there is no age limit - it was simply a mis-click of a button.

Apologies that it got missed over the years by the Trivia Editing team - there are several thousand questions that are "user submitted" and sometimes one or two slip through the cracks of the editors

Of course, when any trivia question gets edited, the system removes it from that day's listings and it is returned to the pool so it's gone from view now. But next time it comes around again, it will offer up the correct "right answer".

ANY time you see a question that's amiss, just wait until the quiz is done then hit "report" on the question you feel has an incorrect answer and whomever the Trivia Editor is at that time will address it and make a correction if it's warranted.

Dave
    W7UUU

N4LSJ likes this.
  13. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I get most of the trivia questions wrong anyways but the correct answers are entertaining.

W7TCT likes this.
  14. KK4GGL

KK4GGL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the change. :)

15. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Subscriber QRZ Page

At least we're not losing out on any prizes now, maybe they can bring that back?