ad: ProAudio-1

Icom IC-705 Update, antennas & portable power

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Apr 10, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

That's why they are so cheap and many true QRP folk don't need those bells and whistles anyway :cool:
    G3SEA/KH6

2. N0KEW

N0KEW BANNED QRZ Page

The 705 is rumored to be water resistant- are the China ones?

3. N0KEW

N0KEW BANNED QRZ Page

I personally won’t be buying Or even considering anything Chinese anytime soon. It’s just a total non-starter for me right now. I’d rather pay more money for the Elecraft or the Icom. That’s just me. Ymmv. Cheers.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    K4AGO, NL7W, KA3YAN and 6 others like this.
  4. WC5P

WC5P Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I would not be surprised if the 705 ends up being made in China or Thailand.

G3SEA and KM6VUA like this.
  5. N0KEW

N0KEW BANNED QRZ Page

I would. Icom makes all their stuff in japan. Yaesu outsources a Small percentage of production. Kenwood I don’t know.

F4HPX and K4AGO like this.
  6. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Including populating circuit boards?

K7GYB likes this.
  7. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks. Yeah the idea is just using low-power radios which has a trickle-down effect. We can use smaller batteries, smaller off-grid sources to charge those batteries and basically just have a more efficient station. Hopefully it works in the long-term
    Julian oh8stn

8. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Same here...
    Based on what little I've read on this rig, I do expect to have one in the future. Looks fun.

KA4DPO likes this.
  9. OH8STN

Yeah I have to admit being a newcomer to d-star. 1 I'm definitely interested in this radio because of its all-in-one HF capabilities. As I understand it though, DMR is cheap because of the commercial side of the DMR market. Anyway, no pony in that race but it's an interesting discussion.
    Julian oh8stn

10. OH8STN

Good discussion guys. Perhaps the only reason many of us haven't jumped on the 7300 bandwagon for portable Ops, is its size and weight. Functionally speaking it's a magnificent radio. If the 705 offers the same advantages in a smaller package, there won't be any going back.

Great discussion.
    Julian

AJ6KZ likes this.
  11. OH8STN

The comparison to the KX to came from elecraft users themselves. I never open that can of worms and didn't see the point too. It's apples and oranges.
    As far as sound chords go, I agree with you. I even made a video on using a sabrent to USB sound card as an audio interface. The only problem with using the sound card in that way is there a different wires one has to deploy. There's also the issue of getting audio levels correct. The goal of many operators like myself is to have only one system. Plug in the antenna, plug in the power supply, start operating. When you are up above the Arctic Circle trying to deploy radio station, the last thing you want to do you start fumbling and fiddling with unnecessary wires to an audio interface.
    As far as resonant antennas and antenna tuners, I agree with you. I mentioned in the video that I wish this radio had an internal antenna tuner. Not having an internal antenna tuner is not a deal-breaker though. You focus on one particular antenna in your comment however I provided a variety of different antenna types which could be used with this radio for Rapid deployment scenarios. We can't pick and choose. If you're going to comment or make a counter argument, du Sol on everything I mentioned. The video is showing how I plan to deploy the 705, from my own personal perspective. Someone else may have a different perspective which is perfectly fine.

Anyway good comment and discussion.
    Julian oh8stn

K4AGO and AJ6KZ like this.
  12. OH8STN

We've known since the beginning, the 705 doesn't have an internal tuner. If I said it in the video, it was an editing mistake.
    Julian oh8stn

AJ6KZ likes this.
  13. OH8STN

100% agreed. I only mentioned the elecraft radios because of the dozens of comments left on my videos from elecraft users.
    Julian oh8stn

AJ6KZ likes this.
  14. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

I liked your thread-starting video. Nicely done!
    This rig will be a game-changer.

AJ6KZ likes this.
  15. AD4CW

AD4CW Ham Member QRZ Page

My poor PFR-3 has a built in tuner.....now I go back in my corner.
    ps: great video!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    WN1MB and US7IGN like this.