ad: HamHats-1

Icom IC-705 Price Is Icom targeting the KX2 Market?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Dec 18, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. W8BYH

W8BYH Ham Member QRZ Page

Or the Vertex Standard (Yaesu) 1210. Yes, these fill a niche market, but I tend to think the interest among people willing to spend to get the capability is actually higher today than it was 20 years ago.

2. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

So far only on paper! I'll be trying a demo out at HRO once ICOM catches up on meeting the early orders. That may be a while.
    I find it interesting that folks put money down on a Tranceiver they have never seen for a price that is unknown?

3. K8HIT

K8HIT Ham Member QRZ Page

It's just a spot in line for $35, you can get out of line at anytime. $35 is refunded or store credit.

4. G1XXV

G1XXV Ham Member QRZ Page

On only 10 watts on HF in this area I'd be lucky to get to the nearest town 3.5 miles away. Not my kind, or idea of a radio.

K0UO likes this.
  5. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Given it doesn't exist, how do you figure?

WW2PT likes this.
  6. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

For laughs, I went back and looked at some of the forum posts from 2008 about the K3 just after its release. Same arguments we see today, just substitute “K3” and “IC-756PRO3” for “KX2/3” and IC-705.”

Fanboys are forever.

K0UO likes this.
  7. K5TED

K5TED Ham Member QRZ Page

And this is why I still use my SG-2020 as primary portable HF rig, and the 817ND as secondary.

8. KI5KT

KI5KT Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone try the Xiegu G90? No internal battery, but for just over $400, it's an amazing little HF rig.

9. KY5G

KY5G Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

ICOM can swing as hard as they like.... They aren't going to connect solidly in the KX2/KX3 market.

Looks like a plastic case... ugh. I won't buy one.

The hardware must be exceptional to drag money out of my pocket, but that's not the half of it. I want great support and a welcoming/helpful community.... Elecraft has spoiled me in this regard.... :D

WW2PT likes this.
  10. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

My KX2 metal case barely protects it. Afraid to drop it, probably game over.

My FT818 has a plastic case, it's polycarbonate, weatherproof.

WD4IGX likes this.
  11. K5QE

K5QE Ham Member QRZ Page

What is JS8????

K0UO likes this.
  12. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

13. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Lack of any real filtering will kill it for me, here in Seoul (HL1ZIX). I had really good luck with the front-end on my former KX2. My Icom 7300 was a barn door on 40m, so I sold it.

If I were still interested in mostly mountaintop operation and being away from city noise sources, I'd go for the new Icom. I have learned my lesson about low-end Icoms and filtering, though.

14. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Sadly, not seeing any JS8 activity here in Asia. FT8 is all over the place, but JS8 doesn't seem to be taking hold, yet. I have yet to make a contact on it, or see anything from it at the designated frequencies. Would like to try it, but no luck. I have been making a few Olivia contacts, though.

15. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think you'll find it has good filtering through the SDR, remember it was designed for the Japan Market.
    I find a lot of people with the 7300 are running preamps on 20 to 160, with this particular SDR it's signal-to-noise and you may want to put attenuation to tghten it up, also they're ignoring IP + function or don't understand how it works.
    I'm not endorsing the 705, I certainly won't be a buyer of a QRP rig! I hoped that the K4D would be out by now from elecraft but that hasn't the first said the last part of 2019.

Also about FT 8, I have worked a number of South Korean stations as well as numerous ones from numerous JA stations, you may have some issues

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020