ad: elecraft

Icom IC-705 Price Is Icom targeting the KX2 Market?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Dec 18, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

2. K0GMK

K0GMK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And the CommRadio CTX-10...

K6SDW likes this.
  3. K1AC

K1AC Ham Member QRZ Page

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing!!

OH8STN likes this.
  4. OH8STN

No problem. I wish I had more information.
    Julian oh8stn

5. WB8LBZ/SK2023

WB8LBZ/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

You can expect the USB cable to have similar features as the 9700, 7300, 7610, 7100 ... that is a built in sound card and serial port for control of the radio. All of the recent radios have this feature. I can hook up a radio for JS8 with only the USB cable.

73, Larry WB8LBZ
    El Paso, TX

OH8STN likes this.
  6. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

875GBP unfortunately it doesn’t work like that here. I think we will see it at 1100GBP or thereabouts. We don’t have the title “RIP off Britain” for nothing.

OH8STN likes this.
  7. OH8STN

Good stuff Larry. This functionality is exactly the reason I hadn't pulled the trigger on other man-portable radios. Elecraft, Xiegu, Yaesu, ...
    I'm seriously looking forward to the 705.

K8HIT likes this.
  8. OH8STN

9. OH8STN

Yeah, I'm sure. When traveling between Germany and GB I would compare prices for equipment. The GB price was disproportionately higher than DE.

I also hope the price won't be artificially inflated by the resellers at the launch of this radio. They did that with the FT-818, which was a travesty.

10. KK6QMS

KK6QMS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I love my KX2 but this Icom is compelling. The KX2 is clunky as hell to connect for digital modes. The Icom has USB, BT, GPS, and that great waterfall/SDR display. Wonder what the current draw on the Icom will be? No tuner in the 705. I find the tuner in the KX2 to be useful even though I strive for resonant/low SWR antennas. 705 has 2m/440 which is awesome. Lot's to compare and consider.
    One last and important thing- support. Elecraft support is awesome. I asked about a way to dim the light and they sent me schematic and info on how it could be done. Never asked me for receipt etc. Access to the folks who are actually designing the radio is hard to beat. I have no experience with Icom support but have heard it is less than stellar.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    W0ZS, KK7AI and AJ6KZ like this.
  11. KM4CQG

KM4CQG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Julian

Thanks as always I guess its really going to come down to the receiver. I'm a DXer and Digital operator I use the KX3 for QRP contest.
    The receiver in the KX3 is very impressive but the input controls are bare bones with minimal digital interface except for 3rd parties.
    Integration of a PX3 band scope into a KX3 or KX2 would have further aided Elecraft. I have asked Wayne and Eric repeatedly for this.
    The Icom IC-705 if the receiver is as good combined with DStar might give a heavy blow to Elecraft sales.

Ian

K0UO likes this.
  12. KD5OM

KD5OM Premium Subscriber

144 & 440 mhz too?

K0UO likes this.
  13. KD0YTE

KD0YTE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I would expect that price to drop 6 months after initial availability. Maybe not to the 818's level though.

S57RW likes this.
  14. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The Icom is in a different League. It's a whole lot better rig than the K2 with Spectrum scopes, usb, and SDR, A totally different kind of ball game. So you can't compare the two other than they're both low power.

KM4CQG likes this.
  15. KJ7WT

KJ7WT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If I had the money (and XYL approval!), I'd snap one of these up. Having had a 7300 for a couple years now, I expect the learning curve would be pretty shallow with the new rig, and it would be perfect for traveling. I'll have to start saving my nickels and dimes (as my grandma used to say!). Nice video, I have much respect for your (OH8STN) views on these kinds of things.