ad: TinyPaddle-1

Icom IC-705 Price Is Icom targeting the KX2 Market?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Dec 18, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. G3ZPF

G3ZPF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Icom UK are quoting "around £1k + VAT" so that puts it circa £1200 but they have significant numbers on back-order so I think it'll be late in the 2020 before they are available as a walk-in purchase in the UK.

But as Ian said, it will come down to the receiver performance as to whether its worth buying.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  2. KM4CQG

KM4CQG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Impressive QRZ page

K0UO likes this.
  3. VE4MM

VE4MM Ham Member QRZ Page

I already ordered one from HRO months ago. I have aKX3 but this radio blows it away.

W1ND likes this.
  4. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

One cool radio when the propagation heats up but it can always be used on Dstar and VHF/UHF NBFM :cool:

G3SEA/KH6

5. K7LZR

K7LZR Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like a nice enough portable but as I've said before, I just don’t think that Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu or Elecraft get it when designing field gear. What we really need is a more rugged HF/VHF/UHF radio – and I mean military type ruggedness in a class such as that of the Harris Falcon III, Barrett, or Codan radios. And not so many big knobs sticking out – they tend to break easily. Also not so many jacks/wires poking out of the sides. Its too messy and won’t easily fit into a case with stuff plugged in. And a true field radio will have universal power input – it will operate from internal batteries, or accept an input from 10-30vdc, or 110/220vac. All in one box. With today’s power supply technology it can be done fairly easily and keep weight reasonable too. Lastly, dump the touch screens. While okay on your tablet or smart phone, they are a real pain and a big mistake magnet on a field radio. The US Navy just dumped all of its touch screen navigation controls on its destroyers in favor of proven mechanical systems for the same reason. Such a radio would likely cost about the same as a tricked out KX-3 but would be much more value for dollar.

So the ham radio which still comes closer to these goals in this class is the good old Yaesu FT-817/818.

NG9F, K5TED and OH1BOR like this.
  6. W1ND

W1ND Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ditto. It is well with the $35 hold fee at DXEngineering.

I love my KX2 but the 7300 display and controls are so much better. Having a portable 7300 is going to do it for me. The lack of an ATU is something I will get past.

Now, if the KX4 rumors pan out, I will gladly cancel my 705 order and go with the KX4.

K0UO likes this.
  7. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

And then we can start a whole new half-decade of arguments about whether the 705 or KX4 is the Greatest QRP Radio Ever.™️

I can’t wait! :D

K8HIT, K6QAZ and K0UO like this.
  8. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

KX4. I'm still waiting for the K4D!

But fir now, I'm using the a 7300 or 7610 and making QSOs everyday.

9. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

I was spot on the Money then! Shameful the way we are ripped off here

10. WB8LBZ/SK2023

WB8LBZ/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

Some of you guys are asking for expensive features to be included is the bargain basement price for things most won't need. Julian , OH8STN, has has done several videos about building an external battery packs. This radio is marketed for the low power portable crowd, something I most likely won't be doing. It might be interesting to have one for demos to home school and new licencing classes. I might pick up one after the bloom is off the rose and they are still selling like hot cakes. There will be some that buy one then decide it is not their cup of tea and I will 0ffer them an opportunity to unload it.

73, Larry WB8LBZ
    El Paso, TX

WD4IGX likes this.
  11. W8BYH

W8BYH Ham Member QRZ Page

Jason's comment about the Yaesu FT-818 being 'safe' because current street pricing puts it about $500 below the anticipated price of the IC-705 is interesting.

I sure hope Yaesu doesn't feel that way. My hope is that the IC-705 puts market pressure on Yaesu and Kenwood to up their portable HF games.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    2E0TWD likes this.
  12. K8HIT

K8HIT Ham Member QRZ Page

What funny title for this thread. I wouldn't give a KX2 any further consideration, but I will for sure buy one of these IC-705s.

K0UO likes this.
  13. W5APL

W5APL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They say the retail price will be around $1195 for the IC-705 ? Does anyone know if that is true ?

14. W8BYH

W8BYH Ham Member QRZ Page

Based on information released in Japan earlier this month (and assuming we can expect a straight yen-to-dollar translation) it looks like the 705 will come in right around $1,200 when its released in 2020.

K0UO likes this.
  15. KK0SD

KK0SD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Are you looking for something like the Yaesu FT-70G -- https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/ft70.html They didn't sell very well. I have never actually seen one, just pictures.

Joe kk0sd