ad: HamHats-1

I am not allowed to embed a Youtube video on my page.

Discussion in 'QRZ Site Community Help Center' started by M6VMO, Feb 6, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. M6VMO

M6VMO Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all,
    When I try to embed a Youtube video onto my page I always get the message "The code does not seem to be valid", this happens whether I copy the URL straught from the address bar or the URL from the"Share" option on Youtube.

I have tried all sorts of things to get around this, no luck, though.
    Has anyone managed to overcome this, please help me outif you have.
    Thank you in advance.
    M6VMO.

2. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I know you are not allowed to post a video that starts automatically when someone accesses your page.

Never saw that msg though but, I have quite a few videos on my page further down in my bio with no issues

3. W0AQ

W0AQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you use the manual editor, it should look something like this:
    Code:
    <p><iframe frameborder="0" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABC1234567" width="640"></iframe></p>

4. M6VMO

Thank you, but when I do that (using "Source", I assume that's what you mean by "manual editor", the iframe appears, but when you click on the Play button, you get taken straight to the Youtube page.
    In the other case, as I said, when I pastethe URL in "Paste Embed code here", the editor won't let me save the film, and when pasting in "Paste Youtube Video URL", when I click OK, the screen appears on top of the screen saying "The URL you've entered doesn't seem to be valid".
    So, confusion galore, as you can imagine.

Tjank you.

5. M6VMO

I think I know what the problem was: the YT video was a short. So it did not give me the right URL unless I right-clicked the video and selected "Copy VideoURL" or "Copy Embed Code". I didn't know that made a difference.

The only problem left now is to get the video to stay on my QRZ page when played. When I click the Play button,my QRZ page changes to a sort of YT page with on the bottom left "Play on Youtube", however, I'd much rathe have the video toplay on my QRZ page. Also, when I inspect my QRZ page afterwards, the embedded URL has changed to an iframe.
    Amy suggestions/solutions,please?

Thank you everyone for your help.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
  6. W0AQ

W0AQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think that would make a difference.

7. VK5OHR

VK5OHR Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems to be working...

Code:
    [MEDIA=youtube]oMgns-939ks[/MEDIA]

8. M6VMO

Yes, it does seem to now, except for the fact that, when I play the video, the page goes away from QRZ.com and plays the filmin a sort of Youtube page that has the text "Watch on Youtube" at the bottom left. So, every time a visitor plays a video on your page, you risk losing him/her.

9. VK5OHR

Yes because you are hot linking to a youtube page! Here we embed the link so it plays here on site... the little 'film strip' button up there on the text editor toolbar...

[​IMG]

...is the popup box needed to paste in the youtube link to embed video here. ;)

PS: to get the link hit the 'share' button on the youtube page, copy the link and then paste that using the above instruction... done!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
    K8VHL likes this.
  10. M6VMO

Isee, yes I remember that film strip icon.
    However, I have not got that one available, maybe you are using a previous version of the editor?

Thank you for your help.

VK5OHR likes this.
  11. VK5OHR

I think you have to select >> Show Full Editor << in the site account options for it to show. I think you might not have done that... easy to change.

12. M6VMO

No, I'mafraid it's not in the account options.
    Thank you anyway.

13. VK5OHR

...well yes it is on the toolbar... >>> More Options <<< button may help.

[​IMG]

14. M6VMO

15. M6VMO

Ah, I see now.
    It appears my editor is quite different to what you are using:
    [​IMG]