ad: cq2k-1

HRD Software, LLC releases version 5.11a

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6R, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Works fine on mine also!

2. N7BFK

N7BFK Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been a supporter and a user of HRD for 5 years and have always used it for the logbook and satellite portion. (Someday I will get this digital portion figured out) Was I disappointed when my logger broke and I had to pay QRZ to fix it again. Yes a little, but I understood the cost and it was reasonable for my convenience of auto look up. I could have saved my $30 and logged everything manually instead as I did when I first got my ticket in '94.

I don't mind paying for good software or paying for a service that I want as long as they are reasonably priced. Just my opinion, I believe that HRD 6x is just a little to high at the $80 mark at this time in the development of the software and company start up. I also look at it in a way that the software doesn't just cost me $80, because I have to pay QRZ and additional $30 to complete the HRD package to work properly if I want to use the logbook. So a 1st time user is actually needing to pay $110 (if you don't by prior to Dayton) to get started and $70 each year after for upgrades. I wouldn't bat an eye if I didn't have to pay another company money to make my software complete and work 100% properly.

Right now, I believe that HRD needs to be at the $40 mark to build the trust of the long time users (or new ones), build your ratings of the 6x version and get established as a new company. Looks to me that you have a few bridges to build with the ones that believe you are making money off of someone elses work. Negative reviews can kill a company and I want to see HRD succeed. Slowly build your prices up just like every company does that has been established and proven there product to the end users. HRD is a brand that Simon built and you guys now have to show the Ham community that you have the same goals for the HRD brand as everyone believed Simon did.

One last thing... Making it MAC compatible would be awesome. Myself and a lot of other Hams are MAC users! I have 1 Windows based computer (laptop) and the only thing on it is HRD. When it dies, it is gone for good. What a pain.

Thanks and good luck!

Thomas - N7BFK

3. W5TTW

W5TTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's cheaper than a tank of gas. I'll license it.

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Many of the converters and prone to RFI also.

I use Optical Coupling and that seems to cure a lot of problems.

It also helps the Receiver and eliminates the RFI that the Motherboard Causes.

The LPT port seems to be the worst , when it comes to RFI, and RF can get into the LPT port and cause BSOD, and many times it is blamed on the serial port, But it may only cause problems when both the LPT and serial devices are connected.

Disconnecting any LPT device often solves many problems.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  5. KA9JLM

Much Cheaper, and last Longer...

6. KC2GYU

KC2GYU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How could it be my USB-RS-232 interface if I can't even get to the point of entering what COM port the radio is even on? I'll be sure to go out and just buy a brand new computer with nothing but HRD on it...and pay you 80 dollars so I can sit on the phone for hours trying to sort out a software issue.
    FWIW, my USB-Serial converter is an FTDI chipset, I made sure of that before I purchased it.

Kenwood's radio control software has not one single issue connecting to the radio and operating it from the computer. How can it be hardware or drivers if some software will work perfectly with it, but then comes along HRD with it's 5.11a update, and voila, it no longer works.

7. K7LFY

K7LFY Ham Member QRZ Page

I like HRDLOG. It took me from using my own EXCEL spread sheets to an internet connected logging masterpiece. But it doesn't do a number of things it should if it is to cost $80. For one thing that price puts it in the arena of professionally managed and maintained software - which is isn't as far as I know. Secondly it doesn't do some things it should - like V4, JT-65(X), FSK, and some other modes and it doesn't support contesting like N1MM etc. I also think the waterfall is inferior to JT-65 and its RTTY decode and display is much inferior to N1MM, the Bandmap navigation is non-existant, there appears to be a huge number of setup options not currently available like split and offset memorization if/as desired. Does it support .WAV files in contetsting? and so on. These shortfalls aren't a big deal until you realize that now you have to subscribe to QRZ if you want that data, still use N1MM or? and so it goes. It is a great piece of work but - THERE ARE A LOT OF MISSING FEATURES THAT WILL HAVE TO BE MADE AVAILABLE FOR ME TO SPRING $80.......

Sorry guys I just can't see that price with the existing features as being a good deal.

Bob K7LFY

8. W9MB

W9MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Please make a proper cable available directly from you with support at a reasonable cost. I have run into the hardware guy blaming the software and vice versa.

9. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hogwash!
    Whose "bright idea" it was to have OS connect to peripherals using drivers?
    Ever heard of COM???

Who changed that in Vista and W 7?
    This is not MS bashing, just minor technical facts consumer oriented company like MS does not advertize.

10. KA9JLM

It looks like UAC is a issue on Vista or better, with the new version. 64 bit OS or a Pro Version (and Ultimate) seems to be affected most..

If you disable UAC and then install the new version of HRD it seems to install and work better.

Maybe the New version 6 will have the UAC issue repaired.

Running the Install / Setup as administrator, Does not let HRD set the Win Registry like it should.

Hopefully they will update the Installer to fix that issue. The installer is a old version on 5.0.

Version 6 may have that problem fixed. Or should ... (You have to pay to see)

Don't forget to Re-enable UAC after you make the install.

Don

11. KJ5XX

KJ5XX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have no issue paying for good software, but I think there's a difference between paying say $40 for a piece of shareware, and paying $80 or anything approaching it. If I'm going to pay that amount, I expect 2 things (as someone that worked in the software industry for 30 years):

- I expect it to be bug free, glitch free, and "fluke" free - I haven't had many bug issues with HRD, but I have noticed a few. And let's be clear on the definition of a bug - it is something that causes the software not to work as designed, not minor aggravations that don't align with how a particular user would like the software to work.

- I want to know what new feature sets will be available. Example - when Microsoft announced the the release of Windows 7, it also listed the features that made XP users want to upgrade.

If I can have HRD 5.x for free or 6.x for $80, guess I'd like to know what I'm getting for my money that isn't in 5.x

12. W4PG

LOGic costs $129 dollars and many use it. Maybe it's a "professionally manged and maintained software?" IMHO, HRD is way better than LOGic, but to each his own. Moreover, HRD is *NOT* meant to be a contesting software package! N1MM does just fine for that. I use N1MM and then import my log into HRD, no problem. My version of HRD has a nice bandmap! It's very similar to N1MM and I can click on any call within the bandmap and instantly be there.

Lack of support for .WAV files for contesting isn't a big deal until you realize you have to subscribe to QRZ?? Is there a message there somewhere? WHAT if any is the relationship to .WAV files and QRZ??

Unless I'm missing something, HRD has never claimed fame for being contest software. No reason not to use N1MM for that. To suggest you won't buy HRD because it isn't N1MM is hard to understand, since N1MM is free and meant for contesting, something HRD was never primarily designed for.

But, to each his own. Use what you like!

PS: Neither you nor I have any idea what awaits us in version 6! You just might want to spend $80 for it! Are you really suggesting the new version will have nothing more than what we have now?? REALLY??

13. W4PG

Just curious - what OS are you using??

14. AC4BB

AC4BB Ham Member QRZ Page

Version 5.0 Beta had a very annoying bug in it. The audio would cut out during transmissions. Mine did and I heard someone yesterday having the same problem.? There's still a bug in 5.11 where the logbook sometimes takes several bootings to get it to work,

15. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

Of course, we're tryng our best to get rid of all issue with the 5.1x release. Remember to bug everything at http://www.hrdsoftwarellc.com/bugs and include steps to replicate.

Intermittent problems are the hardest to find as you all know when we work on electronics equipment too. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.