ad: GoBoxRadio-1

HRD Software, LLC releases version 5.11a

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6R, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. SM2IUF

SM2IUF Ham Member QRZ Page

I have installed the 5.11 version of HRD on my Windows XP computer with a
    Signalink USB interface. HRD worked a few minutes but then suddenly I got
    a small popup window containing the text "Please wait ..." and then DM780
    froze completly. I had to kill that process and restart DM780.

I have seen this happen sometimes in earlier versions but it's just to kill the
    process and restart DM780. This is probably due to earlier design decisions
    and I hope the new guys that works on this will iron out all the old bugs.

It seems that HRD now operates faster than the older versions so I think
    they are on the right track.

However I have kind of given up on HRD and converted to Logger32 which
    has a more rustic interface with less bling bling but is very stable and have
    not yet failed in any way. I also have used Logger32 on the last CQ WPX contest.
    HRD has no support what so ever for contesting so what is it's purpose?

73 de SM2IUF

2. ON8CB

ON8CB Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, actual structure fo HRD is "component" based.
    Now, I'm NOT using the main interface but I'm forced to run it due to the interaction with Logbook and DM780, if the main interface isn't open they won't work properly.
    Then I have to have the radio switched ON if I want to use DM780, which reports errors and becomes unstable in case there is no radio connected and running.
    Then the resources the 3-pieces-of-software needs to run properly: forget the small-form-factor Atom based PC, it will STUCK even if you have 4GB of RAM and a dual-core Atom.
    You need a proper computer to run it and a dedicated video card.
    Hope version 6 is gonna fix all these INTERACTIONs between different software produced by different team and including third-party DLL and plugins created by other developers...

3. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

No, it will work with the prolific chipset, but we're ran into issues over and over with the prolifics (as other software has).

4. WB4FSD

WB4FSD Ham Member QRZ Page

If it is a hardware/driver problem, then why does v4.1 work on my Win XP 32 and has for years and the new V locks up ???
    Just my 2 bits. 73 WB4FSD Ben

5. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

KA9JLM

I cant believe you even SUGGESTED that! Considering I WORKED for Microsoft for 5 years and I own a software company.

FYI, I have a legit copy of MSDN universal. Would you like my MSDN ID? LOL

I cannot believe some of the comments here.. :(

6. K4EBW

K4EBW Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I cannot believe all you cheap @&&es! You got this program for dfree all these years and it has turned out to be one of the greatest software developments for Ham radio there ever was and you dont want to pay $80.00 one time charge for it? No onder there ase so few, or slow developments in the Ham radio business, no one want to pay for it! I myself think it is a great price for all you get here, and I am not a rich person.
    Eric

7. N4AR

N4AR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey I am the first to admit I am cheap. When QRZ changed the call sign lookup for HRD to a paid subscription, I said I would deal without. It was understandable that they did that, the load on the servers was likley huge. But after about a week it made working digital modes slower, and more time having to manually lookup and transfer info. As soon as I was able to afford to purchase the subscription I did.

Times are tough, and I will not likley be able to purchase the software off the bat, but I will eventually do so if it provides me with the software I need to run the shack. The price is not all that high considering the amount of options the software provides, I think the large disconnect is most people like me use less than half of what the software is capable of doing.

Here is an idea, has anyone there thought about an HRD lite, provide the radio control, DM-780, and logging software, at a lower price. Then allow other options to be purchased ALA cart? This may not even be feasable, I am not a programmer!

Anyways I look forward to seeing the software expand. Personally I would like to see JT-65 on the DM-780 waterfall:)

8. ON8CB

ON8CB Ham Member QRZ Page

This thread is confusing me...
    What's the plan for the 6.x version???

A subscription based software or a pay-per-version software?

According to your web portal: "1 Year phone and email support for HRD 5.1 and get a upgrade to 6.0 at no additional charge!" for 59.95 USD.

You should clarify this, using QRZ forum as an "advertising portal" without providing details on your website and after 25 pages would be interesting if you could explain in a single page what I'm gonna get with my 59.95 USD.
    Version 6.0 isn't available and actually I don't need any kind of support for HRD 5.x, it works... why should I pay NOW 60 bucks and maybe get the version 6.0 as a bugfix for the 5.1?

'73

9. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

I had done that earlier the thread so here we go.

1. 5.1x will be bug fixes and will always be free

2. 6.0 will have new enhancments including the 5.1x bug fixes.

3. If you purchase now for $59.95, you get 1 year of support and upgrades from the date of the 6.0 release, which is planned for May 2012

4. If you purchase after that, you get 1 year of upgrades from the day you purchase.

5. After that 1 year, you can renew for 1/2 of retail for 1 year of upgrades or you can use the current version you have forever without upgrades.

So you can purchase now and get upgrades to May of 2013 and never pay again, if you want.

10. W5EN

W5EN Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm still using ver 5.11, it works great for what I need and is a powerful piece of software. When I get a radio new enough that 5.x doesn't support then $80 seems like a fair price, especially with remote desktop help available. Well at least I think that I read that type of support will be available, forgive me if I'm incorrect. Try calling in a support incident to Microsoft and see how much $$$$$ they want before you get to talk to anyone. I work as an IT professional in a small school district and a number of our software vendors want 1k to 1.5k per year for tech support that includes remote desktop help. In the world of software a one time fee of $80 is not bad for a software that does so many tasks.

73 de W5EN Steve

11. NT2C

NT2C Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for that clarification.

Consider it as being indicative of just how hard the soon-to-be $80 price tag hit some hams. I've seen it before, with other products, where a huge price increase went beyond making the consumer wince a bit and straight into the realm of outright dislike and distrust of the manufacturer. Most consumers, while not happy about it, are at least resigned to and accepting of price increases. We know it's inevitable. We know it's "business" and nothing personal. We know there's rising costs that have to be passed on. But when consumers start to see those increases as grossly excessive (in their eyes, if not in the reality of the actual production cost) they react strongly against the manufacturer.

12. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think it's quite right to use the word subscription.

You buy version X for $Y which gives you the use of the software forever plus "free" updates for a year. That's not really what I'd call a subscription.

There's no perfect price so I'm not going to get into that but my only comment might be...

I would have preferred the "free" updates to be version based rather than time based. By that I mean you'd get free minor (mostly bug fix) updates (6.0 to 6.1 etc) "forever" which means until the vendor declares that version to be end of life and therefore unsupported. You would have to pay for major upgrades with new features like going from version 6 to version 7 with the upgrade price being less than the new user price. I think that sort of deal is more common with software than time based and is probably just as good for everyone but gives customers a better feeling. That way, if the vendor fixes a bug 18 months after release then they can give it away for free to existing users. The users feel like they haven't been forgotten. The vendor has some motivation to come up with new killer features but hopefully has happy users of earlier versions ready to pay for the new features and sing the praises which brings in new customers. I'm not quite sure how you manage how much "support" comes with that.

I'm sure it's a balancing act to figure what works best. I haven't run a software business so I'm just throwing ideas in the air here.

13. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I do not use HRD as a main interface to my rig.
    I did object to ownership “transfer” since the development was originally supported by volunteer contributions. But I got over it.

But I do object that new owners are copying business model from well known software house.
    It seems that the owners collect information about HRD deficiencies from various web sources for free and than have the guts to charge for “bug fixes” either directly or indirectly. ( Just “contributed “ myself to this scheme. Check “Scanner” stop!)

To put it directly – the consumer is doing the “R” in R&D. That is 50% work in theory, so 50% price cut should be in order. HI HI HI

HRD is nice, but as I said many times – it is like “Swiss army knife” ( pun intended ). KISS would be more acceptable to me.

73 Vaclav

14. KN4DS

KN4DS Ham Member QRZ Page

To further clarify... on Vista or Win 7 64 bit, the Prolific drivers are dodgy, at best. And that's not an HRD issue. Nor a Microsoft issue.

It crops up most often (for hams) with HRD because of all the data constantly being polled from the radio... other software that only sends/receives a few bytes at a time, with a significant pause in between, will take longer to show any problems, or maybe never show a problem.

I had Prolific (genuine or not, dunno) USB-serial converters, and kept getting BSOD when running HRD v4. A bit of research and I discovered the problem. I ordered converters with FTDI chipsets and I've never had another issue.

15. K5RCD

K5RCD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The problem with the Prolific chipset in the USB/Serial Converter interface is not unique to Windows 7. It does not necessarily manifest itself in all cases in any event, regardless of which OS is used.

It is not only HRD related either.

I have a Windows 7 laptop PC interfaced with a Prolific chipped converter. I don't know the name of the manufacturer, but it shows up in Device Manager as Prolific Device. It has worked perfectly for me since I installed it about a year ago. I use it for HRD and JT65 HF.

In my travel trailer however, I have a laptop running Window XP. It periodically caused the BSOD when running HRD, or when running JT65 HF, even with HRD closed. It often happened when I would click to transmit. It was a Belkin model with the real Prolific chip, not a counterfeit. I also was using the latest and proper driver for the application.

I recently ordered a new interface device, from US Converters, their Ultimate model, with FTDI chipset. It now functions perfectly.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.