ad: Alphaant-1

HR2.0 - YouTubers Hamfest, Updated Info and Dates

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, May 1, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

To prevent any confusion about our event interfering with Hamvention (which was cancelled before ours was ever created) we have decided to move The YouTubers Hamfest a week later to May 23rd.

We very much support Hamvention and the efforts that DARA takes to put on such a great show every year. We were all disappointed that 2020 was cancelled, but we are looking forward to reconvening in 2021.

Our YouTubers Hamfest is growing to be a huge event. Lots of names you recognize will be in attendance. We've registered a website where our schedule will be posted, once it is finalized. www.YouTubersHamfest.com
    Depending on how it turns out, we might just have to make this a regular thing...done at some other time of the year besides May, most likely. Check the new Promo below.

W1SDR, KG4BFR, DO9YY and 1 other person like this.
  2. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not here to defend the poster you're replying to, but only to share my opinions as his comment does drive home one small point about YouTube streamers.

If this video stream is monetized, I have no interest in watching. Much of the Ham radio related content these days is about self promotion, cross promotion and product promotion. Most of the content I've seen from this group revolves around product reviews (many times where the product was loaned or given for the specific purpose of a review). Manufacturers and sales outlets know what YouTubers are kind to their products as well, and will also withhold further products if reviews are not kind.

Also, another trend I have noticed is that when it comes to the future of HAM radio, many if not all of the members of this group are unified in their opinions (group think) and are quick to label older HAMs or put dissenters into boxes. I've been one of the few dissenting opinions in the comments sections of their videos (especially in regards to online testing) and have watched them pile on to wrongthinkers.

There are TONS of Amatuer Radio content on YouTube that either isn't monetized or isn't about product / self promotion. Literally hundreds if not thousands of videos on how to build antennas, troubleshoot feedline issues, repair radios, etc. Those videos and their respective HAMs are doing things for the right reasons...to help fellow HAMs and grow the hobby. The group associated with the promoted video stream, in my opinion, is only there for money, free or early product access, and promotional purposes. Of course, that's only my opinion and I most certainly could be wrong (I hope I am wrong).

Last edited: May 2, 2020
    WN1MB, OH1BOR, KA8YWB and 12 others like this.
  3. K4NGD

K4NGD Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with everything you said. My intention was not to deny the fact that there are always opportunists that take advantages of trends like these.
    Being a young person in the hobby, I've found that once I get a hold of an old and experienced ham, it is more likely than not that they will do everything they can to impart their valuable knowledge onto me. I will be forever grateful for that generosity. As for the generational clash–that's been happening since the dawn of civilization and will continue to happen in numerous different areas. All we can do is make a conscious effort to bring both sides together to find common ground.
    It is true, however, that the hobby can seem unwelcoming to a vast majority of newcomers–and the new YouTube boom has brought a lot of newcomers into the hobby, which is always welcome (let's face it... ham radio isn't as popular as it used to be, which is a bummer). I think the monetization thing is OK in moderation... if the video creator made the video with genuine effort and passion towards the hobby, and it brings more people into the hobby, then they deserve a reward for their time. Of course, it would be more honorable if they didn't... but it's their choice.

One person that comes to mind is Josh, KI6NAZ... he has a whole Discord chat associated with his YouTube channel HRCC (Ham Radio Crash Course), and it almost functions as an online radio club. Tons of people are chatting about ham radio stuff, and help is right there for beginners like me when I need it. You could say that I "saw the future of the ham radio community" there. It's always possible (though I would be surprised if it were the case) that people like Josh are in it for the money–which would disappoint me quite a bit. Like you, I'm hoping that's not true for most of the YouTubers out there.

On a side note, people like Kevin, KB9RLW, Peter, VK3YE, and many other random people that post about their crazy homebrew radios... are some of my favorite YouTubers that have been putting out some of the best content, even before the current wave of ham radio YouTubers.

KC5HWB, K4GDJ and KR3DX like this.
  4. W5CJA

Thanks for the reply. I honestly don't think we are too far apart regarding our opinions. I'll just say that YouTube as a source for new HAMs is both a blessing AND a curse...to a certain degree.

For instance, YT can energize and excite new and prospective HAMs but when they are bombarded with "best entry level station for $1000.00" videos, it can create negative impressions or false impressions of the hobby. Hell, you can have a good HF radio NEW for 500.00, and great used examples for less than that. But, promoting obscure or used equipment doesn't get you access to free demos or free products to review.

I'll give you another example. One of the guys on the above group recently "reviewed" a $650.00 portable HF antenna that he said would be GREAT for HOA stealth (a ground mounted vertical in this case). He praised the "high quality" coax that was included with the kit...which was a length of low quality RG-59. When they used the same length of coax for the VHF/UHF portion of the demo, they couldn't figure out why their transmit performance was so degraded. That's a head scratching moment for me...because it was obvious as a viewer what the problem was (op later acknowledged this in the comments but the video was never updated to reflect this obvious issue).

Ground mounted verticals from other companies can be had in equally performing packages for far less money. Also, Never mind the fact that end feds can be built for less than 100.00 (coax, balun and wire included)...and those are stealthy as hell.

In conclusion, I don't buy in to the idea that they're doing what they are for any reason other than notoriety and monetary gain. If they cared about the new HAMs they purport to care about, they wouldn't peddle overpriced wares and would instead focus on how to build the same products for a tenth of the cost. That's my view of things, at least.

WN1MB, W8LGZ, KT5OT and 1 other person like this.
  5. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

The last several posts are worth their weight in gold. Thanks guys, for revealing some of the "behind the scenes" reasons why many people post video "reviews" of equipment, antennas, etc.

KG5ZSU likes this.
  6. W5CJA

Well, don't take my word for it. There are good people out there on YouTube. I'm just cynical due to seeing marketing's effects on some content creators. As a man of many hobbies, I've seen many of the tendencies exhibited by some of the above streamers occur in many other YouTube videos related to other hobbies.

KG5ZSU and KR3DX like this.
  7. KK4JHG

KK4JHG Ham Member QRZ Page

Really?

8. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For me, I will take any type of promotion for Ham Radio, if someone makes some money out of it...So be it..

Right now, if you go to a Ham club, just take the average age for a Ham radio operator...I think I made my point already..

My son (KI5FJE) /13 years old, saw the YouTube channel " How Girls can Have fun in Ham radio"

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?th...e-fun-in-ham-radio-portable-or-bust-2.703790/

Youtube channel

That is great, someone his own age having fun, he is actually now learning to be a General!

I remember in 1970's CB craze, which brought many CBers to the Ham club if you will..

Today, if it takes a Youtube channel with some content that attracts new Ham...so be it...

NN2X, Tom

KD0QKK, KN6IHC and KM9G like this.
  9. KC2YMO

KC2YMO Ham Member QRZ Page

Will there be items for sale? Just asking .

10. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

If you see an ad at the beginning of a video..it's monetized. NAZ... his videos are monetized if that's important to you. I agree with you there are a LOT of used car salesman on Youtube. Product spokespersons I suppose is the technical term. Those breathless people that tell you how wonderful a product is and to order it from the best company BIGGYPARTS! Names changed to protect the innocent... Jason doesn't strike me as that type which is why I support his channel.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2020
    G1UFM and KC5HWB like this.
  11. N6KZB

N6KZB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't like...don't watch..

Many do

K4GDJ and W0AQ like this.
  12. ZL2FT

ZL2FT Ham Member QRZ Page

I myself enjoy the content all these Youtubers put out, not to mention all the time and work that is involved to make these videos and presentations...
    I watch and enjoy the live streams (much better than the rubbish that you get on TV theses days), and the content is of interest, also can give you ideas of other areas in this interesting hobby.
    Try and make a video with at the level these guys do and you would understand the amount of work that is involved in producing them.
    It can be a fulltime job 40 hrs plus a week for regular content being produced.
    If you don't like it don't watch there is plenty of other things you can do with your time, but the information they put out is gold and is helping the hobby grow and reach new and future hams.
    Looking forward to the Youtubers Hamfest event as it will be great and worth the watch...(if I am not at work will watch live).
    If they get money from there work they have earned it, as it is a great way of getting the word out about Amateur Radio as a hobby( imagine the cost on proper TV and how much they would charge to produce videos like these).

Just my thoughts on this subject.
    Keep up the excellent work guys and gals your doing a great service for the hobby.

73 from New Zealand
    Jason ZL2FT.

WA3TVH, KM9G and N8PEM like this.
  13. N4ARV

N4ARV Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree 100% with this comment. When I did YT videos they were never monetized. It seems like Ham Radio videos being made on YT are commercials for products that were given to the YT'er. I also think its very much a "group think" mentality with some..not good for hobby.

WN1MB, W5CJA and K9GLS like this.
  14. K4GDJ

K4GDJ QRZ Lifetime Member #614 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I been on a Local ham club for little over a year. And none of the old fart in there have offer to teach me anything. On the other hand I have help some of them using Digital thanks to the info that I have learned from YouTube and this guy's. This hobby is full of bitter old man that need 1500w to ragshew then splatter 5mhz off there frequency. This is my opinion. I don't care what yours is.

G1UFM, KC5HWB and K9GLS like this.
  15. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for showing your true colors.

KD9FEK, WE4B and W5CJA like this.