ad: elecraft

HR2.0 - YouTubers Hamfest, Updated Info and Dates

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, May 1, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. G7DAZ

G7DAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Kerrrrrrrrrrchingggggg $$$$ ;);)

2. VE3GCX

VE3GCX Ham Member QRZ Page

What ever gets young blood into the hobby

VE3GCX Graham

KD0QKK, KN6IHC, KG5ZZB and 2 others like this.
  3. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No there will not be anything for sale during the Hamfest we are streaming.

4. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I read through all of the comments here, and I thank everyone for your opinions, even if I don't agree with some.

The video I posted in the OP on this thread is not monetized. Most of my other videos are. I don't believe there is anything wrong with making money in general, or selling a product, etc. In many other forums, this post and off of this site completely, I have heard some people comment about making money with Ham Radio and how they are against it, and to them I must ask - did you build your own radio? Or how did you get that Icom or Yaesu sitting on your desk? You know that company makes a profit selling radios, right?

The entire reason vendors go to Hamfests is to make money by selling their products.

Lastly, anyone wanting to get famous on YouTube isn't going to do it with a channel about Ham Radio. Most people in the general population still don't even know what it is.

You can choose to believe this or not believe it, but I do Ham Radio videos because I love Ham Radio. I don't believe there is an issue with making money on the videos either. If you disagree, that is OK, you have the right to your opinion like everyone else does. Also most of the products and radios I've reviewed were purchased by me. As the channel grows, then yes - I do get free products to review, and many times I give those away with promotions, after I review them. I get lots and lots of comments, thanking me for the reviews and info that I provide, so I will continue doing so.

K4GDJ, WA3TVH, W5MDB and 8 others like this.
  5. KI6NAZ

KI6NAZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As you can probably tell from my videos, I am really passionate about bringing in a new generation of Hams. The future of the hobby depends on more operators becoming licensed and the content I produce is geared towards educating people who are new to the hobby, integrating new technology to make the most of ham radio, home brewed fun projects that people can build themselves, supporting ham radio and accessories manufacturers with product reviews and community connecting streams that answer people’s questions.

Yes, all my videos are monetized by default. Note, what ads are displayed are not controlled by the creator. Please don’t assume we back those brands when you see ads. And to be clear, what Youtubers specifically make off YouTube ads is not a lot. There are not many advertisers that profit off marketing to our niche. But in order to do things like interactive streams in a seamless, pleasing watch way, I pay for different services and equipment for video production with the ad money. The vast majority of ham radio items I review are things I purchased, rather than things that were gifted to me, in order to avoid people questioning the authenticity of my reviews. And when I can, I ask that the manufactures that want to give me something allow me to give them away. I love the IC-7300 I purchased so much I contacted Icom to purchase one to give away to my viewers and they offered to give one away as a sponsorship instead in a recent stream.

K4GDJ, WA3TVH, KU4X and 8 others like this.
  6. W0MSN

W0MSN Ham Member QRZ Page

The YouTube producers that have a good following put a lot of work into their videos. They often create videos based on suggestions in the comments. They only have high numbers of subscribers if they put out good content. For the ones that are producing videos weekly, it’s a passion and just another facet of the ham radio hobby. It’s great if the can make a few dollars from YouTube. Maybe I’ll watch the videos twice so they get more page views?

K6UDA and KC5HWB like this.
  7. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

I was just answering the one commenter that railed on about monetizing and then threw your name out there as someone he liked. That struck me as odd. That's why I commented your channel is monetized and how a viewer can quickly tell. You're not one of the used car salesmen I mentioned. You do a fine job.

KC5HWB likes this.
  8. KI6NAZ

KI6NAZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I understand, sorry if my reply came across as directed to you specifically, it was to hopefully answer questions people have in general . I didn’t think you meant me other than when I was mentioned.

Thanks!

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    KC5HWB and K9GLS like this.
  9. K4NGD

K4NGD Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough–my apologies–I am fully aware that the videos are monetized and I have no problem with it because video creators are getting the reward they deserve for the effort they put into making quality content. My intention was acknowledge the fact that there are people out there to make the whole Youtube thing into a money making scheme.

10. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

You weren't very clear at all. You were commenting to a post that started "If this video stream is monetized, I have no interest in watching. "... you follow with I agree with everything you say (reread the sentence you were agreeing to). Then you bounce back and forth a while. Then you say it's okay if they monetize their videos in moderation. It's honerable if they didn't and you give an example of Josh. That led me to believe you didn't know how to tell if a channel is monetized where I jumped into the QRZ cesspole of recreational outrage. Apology accepted. 73

K4NGD likes this.
  11. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice turn of phrase. But no need to be coy. Tell us how you really feel...;)

12. NS4WT

NS4WT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I wonder if the group creating this also extended an invitation to Julian (OH8STN). He is a gold mine of information for field/off-grid operating.

KE0WUC, KD0QKK and K4NGD like this.
  13. VE2CY

VE2CY Ham Member QRZ Page

Allow me to jump in at the tail end of your conversation - If I read quickly, we have a ham of "Elmer" age and a younger ham? .. as a regular reader of youtube comments (I'm a boomer), I get quite often disgusted at the conflict that goes on in the comment section of youtube, so it is very refreshing to see you two recognize your differences amicably in the first two "comments", and then carry on an online "qso" lol. As to monetized and non-monetized, is there a way to know before viewing the video? I will watch both, but knowing up front will allow me to judge the video accordingly. 73's

KC5HWB and K4NGD like this.
  14. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Note if the presenter is donning brown lipstick. That's usually a dead giveaway...;)

15. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The first couple of posts were deleted, so my first comment may have been confusing to some. It appeared as though I was the first commenter but actually I was the third in line.

KC5HWB likes this.