ad: elecraft

How girls can have fun in Ham Radio - Portable or Bust #2

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Apr 30, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

UR5GAW, N5BI, KI5HNX and 20 others like this.
  2. W2SOX

W2SOX Ham Member QRZ Page

I tired to show my girlfriend this video, she's still calls me a nerd, I think if she hears me call CQ one more time I might be finding a new place with my radios lol. Cool video, I need to get myself a QRP setup for field day. 73

KD2UHF, KI5X, NA4RA and 4 others like this.
  3. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You have to start out with a ham radio in your bedroom and break them incorrectly!!

Better yet have one in your car, I had a rig in my Corvette on my first date with my XYL.

N4GST, IZ3QVB, KM9G and 2 others like this.
  4. MM0XXW

MM0XXW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There has to be a joke in there somewhere ...... ;)

KM9G, WA8MEA and WJ4U like this.
  5. W4WTS

W4WTS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Clearly an XYL gets a lot of calls.....seems almost everyone wants to talk to them.

VE3EEI, K3SSB and KM9G like this.
  6. WB4SPB

WB4SPB Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you think it was the rig or the Corvette that got the gal?

N7BDY, IZ3QVB, VK6APZ/SK2022 and 4 others like this.
  7. N5AF

N5AF Ham Member QRZ Page

We have a tabletop shortwave. All cool until Brother Stair comes on...talk about a mood killer. :D

My wife is a newly minted ham. Passed her Tech/General/Extra and promptly became a VE. I'm quite proud. The Extra was a real challenge for her and she passed it first try. She studied hard for several months to not just pass the test, but to understand and comprehend the material. Now it's my job to get her a proper setup in "her" the corner of the shack.

Suddenly it became configuring everything...times two. She wants her own HF rig, her own V/U rig. Oh, and "I think I'd really like to work satellites, the ISS and try moon bounce, can you look into that for me?" "Sure dear, I'll get right on it.."

Many hams out there would LOVE to hear the XYL say "Honey, when are you going to get MY RIG and antennas set up, I really want to get on the air"

Be very careful what you wish for. The "honey-do" list may grow in ways you NEVER imagined! :)

N4GST, KJ4BFH, K0TWA and 14 others like this.
  8. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So called nerds that are educated, intelligent and technically oriented are made fun of nowadays. It's disrespectful to be labeled in such a manner.:(

The WW2/Korean War generation created allot of really neat electrical/electronic stuff that the average person today is clueless about and takes for granted. This generation will have my have my deeply respect.:)

And there are allot of awesome ladies out there.

K0TWA, KM9G and (deleted member) like this.
  9. K4TO

K4TO Ham Member QRZ Page

You need a better way to connect to the battery. The alligator clips don't carry current well and the voltage drops, robbing you of power. But it was a fun video. 73... Dave, K4TO

WW5RM likes this.
  10. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Outstanding Video..! My son, KI5FJE (Adam), who is now 13, loved the video...This is how you inspire young kids into Ham radio!

Very positive, having fun, and yes results..!

Congrats!

NN2X, Tom

KF1P, VE3EEI and KM9G like this.
  11. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the support and the heads up Dave. We will get there. Don't know if you saw the first video in the series, but the goal here was to use up some leftovers we had on hand and show that anybody can get out and go portable with paperclips and chewing gum if they tried.

The antenna was made from some old 12ga house wire, the battery was a "won't start the car left over"

What are your thoughts on the battery connection?

12. KK6NOH

KK6NOH Guest

K0TWA and KD5OM like this.
  13. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

LOL! Fun times!

KM9G likes this.
  14. K4TO

K4TO Ham Member QRZ Page

Pick up a couple of battery post clamps at an auto parts store and wire them to a set of power pole connectors. Then put them on your Radio's power cord also.... de K4TO

KM9G and K0VWA like this.
  15. KC9ONY

KC9ONY Ham Member QRZ Page

Way to get the young ladies involved and interested in Amateur Radio!
    Might consider creating a checklist to go along with your logbook.
    I do have to say, that sometimes one forgets to put items on the checklist...
    gee, how would I know that? :rolleyes: At least it wasn't a long walk back.

Three cheers for Wisconsin, too. :D

KM9G likes this.