ad: M2Ant-1

HR2.0 - New Ham Radio YouTube Channels You Need To Watch

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Feb 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Which is actually relevant for those of us who operate portable and either hike or bike with our radios (as I do). Weight can be a deciding factor.

Otherwise, I completely agree with the rest of your post.

Chris

2. KI4ZUQ

KI4ZUQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Right now, we have pretty limited data on the Hughes/Dish internet satellite so have to be careful of how much video is watched. Back when I was requesting STEP-BY-STEP instructions from several different sources and getting a lot of "stack gas" answers, a YouTube post was watched intently for an answer. The short version is the youtube "content creator" EASY method of getting WSJT-X to work on an mcHF clone was WRONG! Could have been a lot of reasons, perfectly valid, for why his scheme failed. I stumbled on the reason why I could not get it to work but that one particular step was not mentioned anywhere or I may have missed it. The point is, the step was never mentioned anywhere while I was asking for help. Then after I posted how effective it was employing this particular step then EVERYONE jumped on that bandwagon! Or so it seemed.

Maybe in all this content there will be one who really knows what he/she is talking about or there will be at least one point will be made that is valid. One thing is certain: it is better to have access to lots of sources since the trend is to reduce or restrict sources.

3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not saying it wasn't good information for some...my complaint was it took up the whole show, when the weight comparison could have been done in five minutes, max. But, like I said, not every show is going to be good--or at least to everybody's taste. :)

K2NCC and KI4POT like this.
  4. KQ8W

KQ8W Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed.
    Your comparison to a QSO contest doesn't make sense. Everyone is on a different channel and you have the choice to listen or tune elsewhere. Nobody is competing with you to listen or talk.

I would offer that YouTube is the equivalent of cable or satellite television. Your fellow ham's choice of programming to watch doesn't impact what you choose to watch.

5. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

I have to bow to your experience as I haven't watched television in twenty years. When I have had the opportunity to I came away understanding how this country came to the state it is in right now. Just sad but I am sure Edward Bernays is laughing from hell right now.

6. KQ8W

KQ8W Ham Member QRZ Page

Is your point that essentially all video, YouTube or television, are automatically not quality? I've watched a lot of great documentaries. As in ham radio, you are able to "turn the knob" when it comes to video. ;)

7. N1IPU

Point it television is like youtube. 90% or more junk and maybe a few percent reasonable quality. It's a personal decision if you want to swim in a cesspool hoping to find a pearl no matter how entertainment oriented one is.

8. KQ8W

KQ8W Ham Member QRZ Page

I suppose your point of having "way less content creators" isn't a push for better content, but simply a hope that YouTube will cease to exist. I don't find video media to be a cesspool. Rather, I think of it as a library, just like books.

I have to say, if you think watching video content is swimming in a cesspool, I'm not sure how you handle the Internet at large.

K2NCC likes this.
  9. N1IPU

There was a character named Not Sure in a movie. He was the smartest person in the world. He probably watched a lot of videos too.

10. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Dixie DX hasn't made content in over 4 months...

KG7HVR likes this.
  11. KG7HVR

KG7HVR Ham Member QRZ Page

The real deal is qrz is spammed with a ton of videos by people who pretend or act to have knowledge. Simply for attention, $ or recognition. Almost none of these people have the knowledge or experience that that protray.
    Many people are sick of seeing this front page spam on qrz. However as long as qrz allows them to link their content it will continue because qrz is the best way to get seen .
    The best teacher is experience and practice. Less time on the internet, less time on qrz, less time seeing annoying postings from halfway lids, more time learning. Let these lids make their content while the real ops make and build antennas and test them in the field, fix older radios, amplifiers and make contacts the real way without a computer. Enjoy the hobby and radio while the ones who dont know pretend.
    Get out there and use the bands and stop wasting time on negative bs and pooptube videos.

HB9GWK, W4NNF, G7DAZ and 6 others like this.
  12. N3FAA

N3FAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hear, hear!! That's exactly what it is...spam. Yet these "content creators" just continue to make their idiotic faces for the thumbnails, and spam their wares here. Unfortunately, we're doing exactly what they want. Getting a 5 page discussion on QRZ is just going to drive more people to their videos, negative or not.

In any event, if you are unhappy, go to their video, click the dislike button, but don't hit Play. Not a single cent is earned unless the video is played. That should make up for all the begging and spamming they do for likes and subscribes.

G7DAZ, WN1MB, KE0GXN and 2 others like this.
  13. W4BTH

W4BTH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the info! Those are good channels. I want to see all of it.

K5YVY, N2RJ and KC5HWB like this.
  14. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

I was with ya here.
    Though it's worth pointing out that site management encourages the posting of these videos and have said they support this. Those who feel they are harmed by this should take it up with the folks who ultimately approve the activity, not those told it's acceptable, possibly desired.

Folks who pay for their QRZ accounts should talk with their money if they feel harmed by the posts as it's obvious the site doesn't serve their interests. Otherwise, it's all talk.

You lost me here. It's disingenuous to do this if you haven't even bothered to watch the video and rate it on the merits of the content.

Chris

K2NCC and KC5HWB like this.
  15. KQ8W

KQ8W Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably read a lot of books too. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.