ad: wmr-1

HR2.0 - New Ham Radio YouTube Channels You Need To Watch

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Feb 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K7CB

K7CB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

BINGO! Glad to see I'm not the only one to feel this way. I pay for a membership to QRZ for articles and other reasons. I've gotten to where I've considered NOT renewing my subscription in the future because I don't like the idea of paying money for a site/service just to see video links to someone else's YouTube channel who's doing it for the money...which I believe the person who posted the video that started this thread is trying to do judging by the quantity of videos produced. There are also other indicators that lead me to this conclusion. For instance, there are other VERY good amateur related videos out there by the likes of Dave Casler and Robert Nagy. You don't see them posting links to their videos on QRZ and I feel that's because they aren't in it to become "YouTube Celebrities". It also seems to me it would be rather hard to do so many videos working a full time job...but I could be wrong.

HB9GWK, AG5SU, G7DAZ and 4 others like this.
  2. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Some of these tubers actually want what you stated...for YouTube to be their full-time job.

I am also a paying subscriber here and often wonder why these videos are even allowed on the Amateur Radio News threads.

Why not let them post their stuff in the Video & Podcasts section? To boot, many are not even paying subscribers here, but yet get to advertise their stuff for free at will on here.....makes no sense.

And yes, their are a lot of good video content creators that don’t feel the need to post their stuff all over place on here or make stink faces to get folks to click on their content.

G7DAZ, N1IPU, N3FAA and 1 other person like this.
  3. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ham radio 2.0 and KC5HWB has promoted my channel. Is that a bad thing? Absolutely not. I try to post videos that are informative and well-researched. I do like people watching my videos because I’ve always been about sharing the knowledge. I am an EE and I also give back to the ham community in many ways including giving presentations to clubs for free on zoom about 5-6 every month.

Honestly most of us do it for the love of it. Many of the big YouTubers help stream and record ham radio events and give back to the community outside of their channels.

W7UDI, KG5THG, KI6NAZ and 3 others like this.
  4. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

More influencers and promoters?

N3FAA and WN1MB like this.
  5. VK7HH

VK7HH Ham Member QRZ Page

Call me when we stop getting whingers on this forum.....

KD5BVX and KC5HWB like this.
  6. VK7HH

VK7HH Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for this initiative Jason. Good to see many different facets of the hobby and we can learn so much from them. Excellent to see, I have subscribed to these channels.

KD5BVX, KC5HWB and W9FL like this.
  7. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Reminds me of Pink Floyd's Nobody Home: "I've got thirteen channels of sh*t on the T.V. to choose from"

KK9W, G7DAZ, KE0GXN and 2 others like this.
  8. N3FAA

N3FAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't subscribe to QRZ for the site or forum, honestly. That's just an added bonus to me. I do it because they have an incredibly good database and QSL system that I use very regularly. That's worth the price of admission to me. I don't think it would be fair to QRZ to cancel my subscription simply because of the videos.

Well...if I have to endure their spam (which is exactly what it is), they can endure a thumbs down from me on Youtube. I see it as a fair trade.

At the end of the day, I don't have a problem with people putting content on Youtube. It's a great resource. Knock yourself out. What I have a problem with, is these people constantly spamming their nonsense as news. How is this video, specifically, Amateur Radio News? Perhaps tomorrow, I will make a video of me making the balogna sandwich I'm planning for lunch, and post it here in the Amateur Radio News section. It would have just as much merit being there as any of these other Youtube videos. And an unfortunate side effect of posting in the Amateur Radio News section is that it shows up on the front page. The page where real amateur radio news should be, is cluttered with pictures of these people making idiotic faces and spamming their Youtube channels. It's obscene.

There is a subsection of the forum for videos, masterfully titled Videos and Podcasts (https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?forums/videos-and-podcasts.114/). I know nothing is going to happen, but I'm going to report this video post to the moderators for being in the wrong section. We'll see what comes of it. My guess is nothing, sadly.

G7DAZ, KE0GXN, WN1MB and 1 other person like this.
  9. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe I'm using the forum the wrong way, but I don't feel as if I'm made to endure anything. If I see a post or video I'm not interested in, I don't click it. Maybe I'm missing out on the compulsory "view everything" rule.

Forum Management as repeatedly stated they encourage these videos to be posted to News. More than once they've said they specifically asked the poster to do so. Ergo, this activity not only has their support, but their direction. The only way to influence that is to not give the entire forum, and other services, the eyes and clicks. But, we all want the perks, amirite?

Chris

K2NCC, KC5HWB, KI5AAI and 1 other person like this.
  10. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

My biggest issue is these prolific look at me videos push down quality content off the main page. Pretty sure many of us know the few posters of truly informative content that don't bother anymore or rarely post anymore. QRZ knows this because look at the number of people who complain about this. These neer'do wells use the "Forum management is ok with it" as a tool to try an silence the large number of users who disagree with their tactics. I for one will look for another database if this continues much longer. Maybe that's the only way now. I am certainly not paying to be barraged by sh## posters over and over.

WN1MB, KK9W, G7DAZ and 1 other person like this.
  11. RAJPUTAMAN04

RAJPUTAMAN04 QRZ Member

I would offer that YouTube is the equivalent of cable or satellite television. Your fellow ham's choice of programming to watch doesn't impact what you choose to watch.

KC5HWB likes this.
  12. KI5AAI

KI5AAI Ham Member QRZ Page

"barraged "

LOL That is so ridiculous. Is it that hard to filter things out that you feel "barraged". Talk about an over-exaggeration.

You would leave an otherwise decent site because you feel "barraged" by something you can easily ignore. Talk about being a snowflake. Just ignore it.

"My biggest issue is these prolific look at me videos push down quality content off the main page. "

Or why not do something actually useful and go to the YouTube channels you feel are inadequate and post comments there and give a thumbs down to them. That would make them go "down"

When I go to QRZ I look at the main page and ignore the stuff I do not care about. It really is not that hard to do.

KC5HWB and W9FL like this.
  13. HL4CYH

HL4CYH Incomplete QRZ Page

14. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

A bit hyperbolic, wouldn't you say? And if those "informative content posters" are leaving because they don't get the attention that the "neer'do wells" do, wouldn't that imply a "look at me" attitude as well and not one focused on advancing the art and science of radio? The latter would continue contributing regardless of the recognition if they were truly in it for the contribution and not the clicks.

Chris

KK9W likes this.
  15. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

So you need to call me names "snowflake" to make your argument? Why don't you try again without violating TOS?

KD1ELK, KK9W, G7DAZ and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.