ad: k1jek

HR2.0 - New Ham Radio YouTube Channels You Need To Watch

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Feb 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

How about the not so subtle title "HR2.0 - New Ham Radio YouTube Channels You Need To Watch"?

I think in the interest of honest advertising, they should change their name from The YouTubers Bunch to The LOOKATMELOOKATMELOOKATME ATTENTION STARVED Bunch.

VK6APZ/SK2022, AG5SU, N0JZQ and 2 others like this.
  2. KI5AAI

KI5AAI Ham Member QRZ Page

I apologize......calling someone a snowflake was not part of the argument LOL I will be careful about that in the future.

N0JZQ, WJ1MK and K2NCC like this.
  3. KQ8W

KQ8W Ham Member QRZ Page

What do you propose as the solution? Should video posts be banned? If not, who determines quality?
    They can name it anything they want. If you don't see it as inviting, scrolling is an option. That applies to all content, not just videos.
    That same mantra can be applied to regular forum posts as well, depending on one's view. I don't see all YouTube posters as being attention starved.

WJ1MK and KI5AAI like this.
  4. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Being a rebel, I elect not to watch them if I'm not interested. I'm a jerk that way.

Chris

N0JZQ, WJ1MK and KC5HWB like this.
  5. 2E0RLR

2E0RLR QRZ Lifetime Member #563 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I was subscribed to Dave Castlers channel KE0OG, he knows a bit about equipment, he was on live once last year and I mentioned that the SFI was above 100, he had no idea what SFI stood for... I unsubscribed!!

G7DAZ, N3FAA, K9GLS and 1 other person like this.
  6. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Limit front page posting to one user a week. Not going to stop the clan but slow them down. Really it takes a while to produce any real quality yet there are several here who do 3-4 and more a week. One not to long ago a part of that clan had 7 vids on the front page at one time. No reason for that as they were all of poor quality and a couple were beyond stupid. I am sure many won't forget the how to solder vid which was wrong on about every level.
    No one is asking for them to be banned as they have as much right to be here as anyone but multiple posts every week is just taking advantage of us and the website.

KK9W, N0JZQ, G7DAZ and 3 others like this.
  7. KQ8W

KQ8W Ham Member QRZ Page

That’s a decent approach I believe.

N0JZQ, G7DAZ and N3FAA like this.
  8. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Or The GIVE ME MONEY LIKES AND SUBSCRIBE TO MY CHANNEL Bunch. :rolleyes:

G7DAZ, WN1MB and N3FAA like this.
  9. N3FAA

N3FAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I proposed a solution a page or two back. Force these people to actually post in the correct forum. Their videos are NOT in any way, shape, or form amateur radio news. They belong in the Video and Podcast forum. But alas, posts in that forum don't monopolize the front page of the QRZ website. They also know that people like me (and perhaps the majority of users) never set foot in that forum. Not going to get the likes and subscribes there.

N1IPU's proposal is great too! I witnessed the 7 Youtube videos on the front page at the same time. You would think you accidentally typed in the wrong address and stumbled across Youtube instead of QRZ. Embarrassing...

Not at all. Put them in the correct forum, and people who are interested in these stupid Youtube videos can go there and click on them to their heart's content. Again, they are NOT news.

Trust me, these ones are.

KK9W and WN1MB like this.
  10. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I’ve read through all 7 pages of replies to this thread and I have not commented yet because I wanted to gather my thoughts and respond in an appropriate manner. This will be my one and only reply to this thread, as I do not wish to participate in an argument with anyone.

Several statements were made thusly “the good youtubers never post here” – let me assure you that we, as YouTubers, often talk to one another. Sometimes in video comments, or over email, or Discord, etc. But we keep in contact with one another, and we work in cooperation with one another often on projects. In fact, in my last 6 years on YouTube, never once have I met or conversed with another Ham Radio YouTuber who was negative or rude in nature. Everyone I have had the pleasure of meeting has been nice, cordial and welcoming.

It is a tragedy that in this day and age, being a Ham for over 25 years, I find more gracious and welcoming people on YouTube than I do on QRZ, a place devoted solely to licensed operators.

Rest assured that I have had conversations with multiple of the “good YouTubers” named in this thread who have told me that they do not post here anymore due to the dripping negativity that lives on these forums. It is far less of an anecdote that folks do not post here because they do not want to advertise their videos, but rather due to a blatant lack of support.

Is it not a conundrum that the voices who complain that the “good YouTubers” never post here are conceivably the ones who also caused them to forego the use of this forum?

Additionally, I find the argument quite tiresome about which articles and posts do and do not get approved in the News Forum and are added to the front page of this website. It has been stated many times in the past, across many posts, that WE – the posters of such articles as this one – have absolutely ZERO control over what does and does not get posted to the front page. Complaining about that here is like driving to the gas station and complaining to the attendant making $14/hr that their entire corporation sets its gas prices too high. What control does a gas station clerk have over the prices set by the corporate office? None. The same amount of control that I, and other posters, have over what gets posted to the front page of this website.

I find irony quite interesting, not only in the fact that those complaining about “good youtubers” are most likely the ones to have run off said creators, but also in the fact that, with as many comments and as much participation that this one thread has received, the fact that it was posted to the front page and responded to in such a manner, makes it more likely – not less – that such type articles will continue to appear in the same place.

YouTube works the same way, mind you. Going to a video and clicking the thumbs down is called “interaction” and YouTube likes interaction with videos, even if it is in the form of a thumbs down. Ignoring the video – which is obviously quite impossible for many of the commenters in this thread – would affect a more negative change in the video than hitting the thumbs down.

However, Angry Thumbs-Down Guy, I am onto you. I have you almost pin-pointed. Thank you for your support, it shows that I, and others, are doing something right!

I will close with these thoughts:

Several YouTubers, whom I consider to be close friends, have asked me, “Jason, why do you continue to post on QRZ with so much negativity and trolling?” My answer is this:

If I stop, then you win. YOU know who YOU are, so I will refrain from naming names, but I am talking directly to YOU right now.

· You are not the Ham Radio I grew up with. You do not represent the Ham Radio I have grown to love for the past 25+ years.

· Your attempts to destroy the hobby I have grown to love – your attempts to discourage those who would show interest in the hobby – shall not discourage me. I am here to stay.

· You are not the future of Amateur Radio – you are the Past.

· Amateur Radio should be a bastion of open communication for the entire world – it should be a welcoming point for those of us who have differences in other areas of life. It should be a brotherhood of men, and women, and younger generations, to all enjoy together. It is NOT a place for bickering, “GET OFF MY LAWN!” attitudes of generations past that no longer have a place in the greatest hobby on the planet.

You will not silence me. I am not going away.

In an odd way, you actually created me, or perhaps just fueled me, so in that regard I honestly thank you. Thank you for showing me that voices like mine – and countless others who no longer post here because you have convinced them not to – are desperately needed in Amateur Radio.

TL;DR – Challenge accepted. Let’s Dance.

73 and good DX.

N0JZQ and KI4POT like this.
  11. G7DAZ

G7DAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Dear ADMIN....i think the majority have spoken. This has gone on now for far too long !! ....Make it so that ALL video's regardless of who made/submitted the video appear ONLY IN THE VIDEO SECTION instead of the FRONT PAGE....that way those that DON'T WANT TO WATCH have A CHOICE !! ...i for one have no intention of going into the video section.

WN1MB, KK9W, N0JZQ and 2 others like this.
  12. N3FAA

N3FAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That would be me! Except I'm not angry at all. Just tired of your spam, like I am all the email spam I get every day. There's no difference between the two. It's just one more annoyance that I have to scroll through to get to the content I actually want to see. Nothing terribly personal. We're all in this hobby together. I'd love to work you on the air. If you're ever out this way, I'll buy you a drink/lunch/whatever.

I understand that you might not specifically have control over what appears on the front page, however, do you also not have control over where you post your videos? I'll call a definitive BS right there and right now. YOU are the one who posts your videos continuously in the Amateur Radio News forum. The admin/moderators aren't moving them there, I'm sure. There is a Videos and Podcasts forum: https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?forums/videos-and-podcasts.114/ It's real easy to find. It's right below this one, in fact. The people who want to watch your videos would easily find them in the appropriate place, and those of us who are sick of the spam won't have to deal with it.

I like Callum a lot. I watch a lot of his stuff for his witty British humor. He reminds me of a good friend of mine, actually. And from a technical perspective, he is pretty darn sharp. But his Lunchtime Livestream (not surprisingly another of your videos) is not Amateur Radio News. It's nowhere close. What is possibly newsworthy about that video? Can anybody point out a single item in any of your latest batch of videos that is somehow important news for the ham radio community as a whole? I sure can't. I mean...you get actual news, like license fees for Australia, Amazon requiring FCC certifications for radios, then you get Lunchtime...and the latest YouTube channels you just have to watch. Seriously......

Like I said, by all means keep making your videos. I'm sure there are people out there who like them. You'll continue to get the attention you crave, maybe you'll learn a thing or two about ham radio in the process, and maybe you can even quit your job and be a YouTube star, or ham radio influencer. I don't know what you're trying to do, but good luck with whatever it is! But for the love of god, stop with the spam.

HB9GWK, WN1MB, KE0GXN and 1 other person like this.
  13. N6TDG

N6TDG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nope, its Dave, KG0ZZ-dude makes mean antennas! Takes you through every turn in wrapping a coil. But somehow I am always fascinated as I watch him drill the hole and but in the bolt and nut... I saved a bunch of his videos. Never know when I need to make a beer can antenna...

14. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A few people are critical out of a site with probably 100,000+ members, in a 750,000+ hobby, and you want to condemn the entire site and entire generations of hams ?

The relative handful of people who are posting are not your audience. It's the people who are reading/watching/lurking you should be trying to reach. You don't realize that far more people read forums than actually post in them? This thread for example, 2450 reads, but only 70 posts. That's a 35:1 ratio.

I wasn't going to say anything specific about your videos, until you decided to play the tiresome "old hams are mean to me and ruining ham radio" snowflake tantrum; but yes I watched (or tried to) a couple of your videos in the past but do not anymore. Why not? Because frankly the funny face and hand gesture thing got old really quickly and really puts me off. I'm sure you probably get thousands of people who love you for it, and that's OK, it just does not appeal to me. Also, the practice of taking a 5 minute topic and turn it into a 50 minutes just for the sake of making it 50 minutes, makes it a waste of my time to watch. I'm sure you get thousands of people who love you for it, and that's OK, but it just does not appeal to me.

So, just because a few people out of hundreds of thousands do not like your videos, does not make it a generational war. It just means that not everyone likes your videos. That's all there is to it. To believe it goes way beyond that, in particular to believe your videos are saving amateur radio from mean old farts, would make you a narcissist, not a hero.

I do agree that entertainment videos such as yours ideally belong in the video forum, not in the news forum. Otherwise there's not much point to having a separate video forum. But, there really just is not very much actual "amateur radio news" to sustain a separate news forum.

HB9GWK, N3FAA, WN1MB and 3 others like this.
  15. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

You may continue to think your being repressed by those bad hams as we would expect that considering your personality but your issue is your own making. I can get what you post everyday on 80mtrs.
    Many of us come here to get real information not entertainment and its a bother to have to deal with you and the other content creators with no real content. Let's break down the term "Content Creators" Content means what it says, Content.
    It can be something new, rare, informative etc. or as in your case none of the above which leaves nothing of value or worth like Tik Tok teens do everyday.
    Creator means just what it says. You either create something like those who build and/or instruct, inform or you fit right into the Tik Tok category of drivel for drivels sake.
    That your face has to be plastered on the opening of every vid leans my understanding down the Tik Tok path. I as many others just don't need that. We want information, creativity and cutting edge in the art of Ham radio and were hungry for it.
    Let say I an looking into satellite. I want someone who has done it, can explain the science and how he or she builds a station to do it. Not some clown with a baofeng holding and antenna on his sidewalk. If its Mesh networks I want all of it, the software the builds and installation. Not some clown unboxing a modem.
    Frankly anyone can do the Tik tok version of ham radio and we can see thousands of barely Ham related video's on youtube. Everybody knows where that is.
    We pay for this website for information not entertainment if that's what you call it. There are to many facets to this hobby to learn over being entertained so I have yet to see what you actually bring to the hobby. I never see you post in the technical side of the forums or anywhere else here. Instead all we see is your face plastered all over the front page. You contribute nothing past self promotion and were kind of sick of it. You spend your time riding others coattails while claiming you contribute to the hobby. This isn't a war your fighting it's your ego with nothing to back it up.

I don't expect you to rethink your position here as self reflection just isn't in your repertoire. I just hope the website owners know that many of us don't like were this is going and would rather see them lean to people who actually create and instruct. That is what will entice the quality individuals this hobby needs, the real content creators down the road.

HB9GWK, N3FAA, WN1MB and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.