ad: portazero-1

HR2.0 - M17 Project - New Ham Radio Digital Mode

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Sep 22, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. HA3FLT

HA3FLT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, but it is already the past, I think - how many not discontinued radios today have D-Star built in?

M1WML likes this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

You missed W4EAE's point.

D-Star is sited and asserted prominantly in the OP video.

The patent(s) on D-Star are not what is preventing newer and better modifications of D-Star, which can then open the possibility of universal adoption.

To wit:

“The goal here should be to kick the proprietary protocols off the airwaves, replace DMR, Fusion, D-Star, etc. To do that, it’s not just good enough to be open, it has to be legitimately competitive.”

So, why don't you go and modify D-Star, which already has a user base (despite your assertion that it is on the way out...)? Why reinvent the wheel?

M1WML and KB9MWR like this.
  3. HA3FLT

Not without reason. If we speak of the post-FM development, we need not only a modulation but something capable to build a network of, and because of this, things might be better to be reinvented... Manufacturers moved on, now the DMR servers support D-Star radios as a limited compatibility option, they can't be compared. My points and the opinions on the video may differ.

M1WML likes this.
  4. HA3FLT

By the way, I don't know how much original information is really available of the given parts and protocols today that is not reverse engineered and hacked out, but something being (already) not patented, or fully documented and public domain is vastly different.

M1WML likes this.
  5. N3HGB

N3HGB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The other big issue - Is any kind of digital voice infrastructure being built out, or it all talking to a little Pi based hotspot right next to you? If it is the latter, the mode almost doesn't matter and the radio itself is optional.

M1WML and W1YW like this.
  6. AK5CT

AK5CT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Harry Potter and the haunted Nursing Home, Faster and Furious 2058, Rambo 37-Iron Poor tired Blood. When do some things ever end?
    With the average age of Hams these days , even if M17 makes it, I doubt we have to worry about M18.

N0YPD, M1WML, N2GOP and 1 other person like this.
  7. HA3FLT

Do we already have everything to eliminate the radio, take out of the path? Yes. Do hams still use radio? Yes, a lot. So nothing will change by this.

M1WML likes this.
  8. W4HM

W4HM Ham Member QRZ Page

My sentiments exactly.:D

WD4DXQ, M1WML and W1YW like this.
  9. HA3FLT

So, why a new radio had to be developed when the old also can receive stations, and you can't see the difference by looking at the box? There should be no difference. Or...

M1WML likes this.
  10. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm a retro kind of guy and much prefer the tried, tested, trusted, and true M16A4.

NK8I, AD5CL, KB1MM and 1 other person like this.
  11. UT7UX

UT7UX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry. I'm not going on to discuss politics so I'm pretty sure I couldn't accidentally violate Zed rules on politics.

You shouldn't. Still you may. But again, you shouldn't.

From my point of view the answer has been done. So in fact I probably just misunderstood your question. I apologize. Probably that's my poor English.

KC7ZXY and M1WML like this.
  12. W5MDB

W5MDB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My goodness! Based on this volatile thread, one would think that someone is forcing hams to use one particular mode to the exclusion all others. I suggest if you don’t care to use M17 (or any other mode), then stick with AM, FM, SSB, CW—whatever you like. No need to get into the hate mode. Just my 2¢. 73 Mike

KC7ZXY, M1WML, KD5BVX and 1 other person like this.
  13. N4LSJ

N4LSJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The proprietary nature of the protocols is precisely why I have not become interested in VHF/UHF digital voice.

M1WML, WN1MB, KC7JNJ and 1 other person like this.
  14. N6KZB

N6KZB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wish the developers well. May you be successful. :D:D

SP5WWP and M1WML like this.
  15. KB9MWR

KB9MWR Ham Member QRZ Page

This is true, and the problem is we don't have a good open source working AMBE implementation. We need someone talented to address and work on that. The legal barriers are gone.

More backgound here:
    https://www.qsl.net/kb9mwr/projects/dv/codec/ambe.html

M1WML likes this.