ad: Radclub22-1

HR2.0 - M17 Project - New Ham Radio Digital Mode

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Sep 22, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KB9MWR

KB9MWR Ham Member QRZ Page

Its being done, see the Reverse Engineering Kenwood TH-D74 Firmware project:
    https://kk4vcz.com/posts/th-d74-firmware/

It could use a few more talented persons to work on it though.

N0YPD, M1WML, UT7UX and 1 other person like this.
  2. KN6JHT

KN6JHT Ham Member QRZ Page

I also bought my HF rig without any proof of a exam taken. How is this accessibility any different if they will be treated the same way (poorly, with suspicion) by licensed operators?

M1WML likes this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

So, the obvious amd reasonable question remains:

What will M17 offer as a superior digital mode (not already available in extant digital modes)?

Again,

Just curious.

N0YPD, M1WML and KE0GXN like this.
  4. N0VTY

N0VTY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We all ready have digital mode audio software for the PC and ham radio, this is nothing new

M1WML likes this.
  5. UT7UX

UT7UX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Pretty nothing as far as I know.

M1WML likes this.
  6. W3AMT

W3AMT Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess it will not work with my Viking II

M1WML and WN1MB like this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, if you are starting from scratch, then you are not bogged down by the architectures and assumptions of DSTAR and DMR, which are now quite old.

What would you make new and better? You have that versatility....

M1WML likes this.
  8. WA6JJM

WA6JJM Ham Member QRZ Page

I know it's hard to believe, but cw is still a very effective means of communicating with a minimal amount of equipment and power. The KISS principle is as valid today as 100 years ago.

W9EBE, M1WML and WN1MB like this.
  9. AB0R

AB0R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's my opinion that ALL of these digital voice modes are really missing the boat by not using variable data rates to increase quality and throughput as frequency goes up. Digital voice modes should sound better on 1.2 Ghz than they do at 28 Mhz IMO.

As for HEGEMONY, it's a good thing that Linus Torvalds kept a firm grip on his kernel ( and at the same time open sourcing it ) as that has enabled hundreds of companies to build thousands of products based on Linux including the largest phone operating system ( Android ) and most of the systems running the major cloud computing platforms.

It's not always a bad thing.

M1WML and W1YW like this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I am agreeing.

As an inventor I get this silliness all the time, telling me how inventors are a thing of the past and the 'people' are the innovators (read: 'entirely open source'). Inventors are just greedy individuals trying to claim the obvious and 'own' something via patents. Yeh, right.

That was sarcasm on my part -- my point is that ultimately some group calls the shots. But you(others) can't pretend its 'entirely open source'. That just makes no sense.

That group, or any other group, shouldn't hide behind the pretense that the effort is 'entirely open source'-- when a small group calls the shots, does the major thinking, does the major debugging. They should take pride in who they are, rather than insisting that it fit within some socially descriptive cubby hole. MO.

If they want to make it free, well, that is their decision. The point is a GROUP makes the decision. Not 'the people'. Just as you state:)

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    M1WML likes this.
  11. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Why are you asking here?

Use the contact info on the web page.

M1WML likes this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Why are you asking such an irrelevancy?

Use email if you have a limited and personal question.

NK8I and M1WML like this.
  13. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, that is what YOU should do, to get an answer to your question

What will M17 offer as a superior digital mode (not already available in extant digital modes)?

From the M17 project people. Assuming you read the material on their website and it didn't answer your question sufficiently.

KC7ZXY and M1WML like this.
  14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

K6CLS--

Thanks for the lecture in what's "socially" acceptable.

I will use my discretion to now flag your call for 'ignore', because you did not use email --as I requested--for a personal point. Please do not contact me at this point, moving forward. Thanks.

M1WML likes this.
  15. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Holy Mother of Christ! What petty bickering!

G3SEA, AD7SK, M1WML and 2 others like this.