ad: Schulman-1

HR2.0 - Icom IC-705 DSTAR to DMR with the Openspot3 Cross Mode

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Oct 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. AA0KM

AA0KM Ham Member QRZ Page

See what you started QRZ ? Hams using than internet to chat! wow who would have thought that hams would use the internet for radios and other things to communicate. wow such a shame not to embrace new tech. Glad i dont have to break my wrist starting the old model -T...or feed the horse whew...:rolleyes::rolleyes::) oh and get off my lawn!

KC5HWB likes this.
  2. KV5E

KV5E Ham Member QRZ Page

IP linking over private address spaces may be accomplished by RF links using adapted gear. This may be done using Part 97 and Part 15 spectrum. US amateurs just lost their 3.4 to 3.5 GHz allocation with the last 100 MHz to be sunset later and POOF......there goes another Part 97 allocation. USE it or LOSE it! If you are not interested, that's fine, but don't be closed minded. Amateurs can build linked systems without the internet if they choose to. Embrace all of the technology that is here if you want to, but don't be critical of those who want to play in the hot spot/digital VHF/UHF and Mesh Networking aspects of the hobby.

KJ7OMD, KD5BVX and N0DZQ like this.
  3. N1IRL

N1IRL Ham Member QRZ Page

Why would anyone want to ruin DMR with "Death-Star"?

KC5HWB likes this.
  4. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the point is if its good it will get seen more hence cliks. Posting links on many ham websites to generate cliks is promotion. Everyone in the real world (Icom, Yaesu or another manufacturer) has to pay for promotion unless word of mouth takes over if its actually good and worth seeing or using.
    You get all kinds of gear either free or on loan and deep discounts on other gear. Everyone knows this as it is well publicized.
    I can think of many youtubers who were promoted by word of mouth or articles published on their work. I never take issue with that. They worked hard and humbly. This madness that influencers created flips creativity on its head. You no longer have to produce quality but instead pollute every website possible instead absent any expense to promote same. No merit in that. Sadly I remember what QRZ was like before the attack of the influencers. Maybe one day when the 15 minutes of fame rush is over it will return.

K4MRB, KG7HVR and G7DAZ like this.
  5. W5VQ

W5VQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

if it goes through the internet it's not Ham Radio. Call me old fashion but RHR and anything that is connected to the internet is NOT ham radio.

KC5HWB likes this.
  6. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

LOL. Good point.

7. KC5HWB

I don't really agree with this, but for the moment, let's say that I do.
    Even if that is true...DMR/DSTAR/YSF etc...even analog repeaters that are connected over the internet with Echolink or Allstar...this doesn't remove the fact that the radio is producing RF to reach the repeater or hotspot, before it ever makes it to the internet, and all of those radios work very well on simplex. So I choose to think of it as enhancing ham radio - it isn't required to make the mode work...but it adds more features than just using simplex.

KD5BVX likes this.
  8. XV9G

XV9G Guest

Jason, I have criticized you in the past. Your videos might not be the best but, thanks very much for making some of us aware of other ways you can enjoy this hobby. 73's

KD5BVX and KC5HWB like this.
  9. KC5HWB

I can't fault you for an honest reply - thanks for the feedback.

10. XV9G

XV9G Guest

I've been in this hobby since 1990. I am a big CW guy but this hobby is not all about making a 10,000 mile CW contact with a KW. Many different ways to enjoy this hobby and some of us are still stuck in the Titanic era and are not aware of how fast this hobby has "evolutionize".

KD5BVX, N0DZQ and KC5HWB like this.
  11. WM5L

WM5L XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I know Jason (The OP) Personally and while I too got on the DMR wagon a few years ago it has sorta lost its "Zing" with me. More power to those that like using a smartphone or a hotspot to communicate where there is no other way. Heck I even have a DMR repeater on the air on a big tower that covers several counties. I just like the full sound of good old FM when mobile on normal repeaters. its just a hobby and its is ok to not like something new and different

KD5BVX and KC5HWB like this.
  12. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Posts like this are always funny and give me a good chuckle. Fine, if you don't want to use any method or mode that utilizes an internet connection that is fine - YOU don't have to. But when people make blanket statements of "it's not ham radio" when it, in fact, is, I get a little laugh out of it.

Some have pointed out that when FM first came on the scene, there were hams then that said it wasn't ham radio and should be AM or SSB only. Bet you, W5QV, use FM at least sometimes...

Nothing wrong with CW, AM, SSB, FM, or other modes - use what you like. But let's not call another mode "not ham radio" simply because we don't use it or don't like it. Let's be about growing and continuing the hobby, not cutting down certain parts...

KJ7OMD and KI4POT like this.
  13. N1NQC

N1NQC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey All.

I believe that any mode , any way is great. No matter HOW much it is digitized or which end(s) have the fiber optic attached.

Is it really amateur "radio" if it's all or mostly on the net ? I'll let others "debate" that.

That being said, if it doesn't come in AND out of an antenna it ain't for me. That's just me though.

Have at it and have fun.

de N1NQC

14. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup. The service was created with radio in mind because that was the state of the art technology at the time, but the intent was to facilitate communications. It wasn't meant to limit us to just rf over open air forever. I suspect if the tools and technologies we have today existed when the amateur service was created, it would include them as well.

Chris

K2NCC and KD5BVX like this.
  15. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

But it does. There's an antenna on the DMR/Fusion/DStar radio, one on the hotspot, and another on the wifi router. There are other antennas on the satellite earth station and the satellite dish if the route involves those elements. There are antennas galore speaking RF to other devices.

Chris

KD5BVX likes this.