ad: Mountaingoat-1

HR2.0 - Icom IC-705 DSTAR to DMR with the Openspot3 Cross Mode

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Oct 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Why use a hotspot or OpenSpot? Because there may not be any DMR, DStar, or whatever, repeaters that you can hit locally. These hotspots allow one to access that mode and that area of ham radio that they otherwise can't.

I do appreciate that you said "but that's just me" because that's true - it's not for everyone. Too bad everyone doesn't realize that their opinion isn't the only one that matters. The short answer is it helps many get on modes they otherwise couldn't; others may not be interested in those modes or have repeaters they can hit locally and solve the problem of no access.

K0OP, K8XG and KC5HWB like this.
  2. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

To each their own, of course. I've certainly dabbled in echolink, C4FM and other digital modes when I'm bored or on the road. I will say that any modes that require an internet backbone don't hold my interest. This is especially true when you need a 300USD Hotspot, a 1300 radio, and an internet connection as well. I'll just use echolink or a cheap Chinese DMR or DStar radio instead...but that is just me.

KT5OT, KG7HVR and KC5HWB like this.
  3. WA6VVC

WA6VVC Ham Member QRZ Page

The or this digital age was coming like a storm. For the voice modes, was it a race to test or sell all the different schemes / modes ? One thing for sure in my view... it has fragmented the ability to communicate as a group like good old FM radio. Now, I am not the emergency, want to be radio rescue guy... but how is this going to work and be "one to one" "peer to peer" on site of that BIG hams to the rescue day? Where was the committee to have a ham standard to the headache I see coming. If commercial users (with standards) want to go at it fine. Ham radio sales for digital dominants again makes no sense to this operator. Where are all the modes going to find repeater pairs and who is going to move over? How many different mode radios can one get to fit on a old guys belt, LOL

A little static or sound like a robot, I'am missing something?

4. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

When SHTF digital will be the first to fail (internet). Then everyone goes back to analog. Problem solved.

NN6D, KK9W, KT5OT and 1 other person like this.
  5. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Except for the fact that, just like analog, digital doesn't need the internet to work. Echolink and Allstar disconnecting due to internet outages don't keep analog from working on simplex just like the digital modes on Simplex.

KD5BVX likes this.
  6. KC5HWB

I don't disagree with anything you have said, but these are questions/topics that have been raised before...

Ham Radio is quite useful for SAR situations but that is 1 aspect of the hobby out of many.
    As mentioned earlier, you don't need a repeater to use a digital mode, anymore than you need a repeater to use FM analog. Also Ham Radio has different Digital HF modes..not all are useful for Emcomm and none are "standard" Should we eliminate them?
    Much like listening to SSB, it takes some getting used to. When I first heard digital, it sounded weird to me. Nowadays it is commonplace.

KD5BVX likes this.
  7. WA6VVC

WA6VVC Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes the hobby does have many aspects to it. Like I said, Not a fan to turn the bands into public safety volunteer radio. If it happens OK, but the Titanic sunk a long time ago.

Most real search and rescue units have the equipment to out pace the ham guys and for the most part are on scene way before the volunteer are activated. Got to be activated or you become part of the problem. And having a walkie-talkie doesn't make it automatic. Now, if a ham just happen to be first to the action... then by all means do what you can.

Repeaters... Try and explain simplex when 20 miles apart... OK 5 miles. And hopefully the local repeater boys have got your mode covered. Standards make for interoperability given the fact commercial user have been working for 40 plus years to get it right and still coming up with plans. Lots of technology and money dumped there. Maybe hams are just catching up???

As a hobby go in the direction one likes. Burn solder, build antennas, tear it up and build it better learn, test, research and have fun.

Rescue work, life saving, everyone needs to be on the same page (mode) to say. One popular ham digital mode and other and add another P25, Fusion, D-star, Wires, etc. How's that going to work, back to conventional FM ?? Ham operators with all the buttons and menus can't figure it out on the fly are now the problem.

Yes all thing new take a bit of getting use to. After forty years in the business of radio, I too am still getting used to it. Not giving up, but in some situations one or two channels, PTT, on and off works best.

To add from my local perspective, the cost to run right out and get the newest flavor radio mode is out of the ball park, just to tinker to talk locally. Were not comparing AM to SSB well sort of.

So if I missed the subject to connect one radio to internet to talk around town or the world... well got a cell phone for that. Stay safe...Do your thing...The radios on.

WA6VVC - WA6CAM

8. JO3XPH

JO3XPH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the demo, Enlightening and good to know!

KC5HWB likes this.
  9. KI4UYA

KI4UYA Ham Member QRZ Page

What is Ham Radio?
    Amateur Radio (ham radio) is a popular hobby and service that brings people, electronics and communication together. People use ham radio to talk across town, around the world, or even into space, all without the Internet or cell phones. It's fun, social, educational, and can be a lifeline during times of need. This is the definition of Amateur Radio from the ARRL website. There are a lot of different aspects of the hobby now-a-days for sure. I got intrigued with the idea of hotspots many months ago. I fond Jasons channel while searching You Tube. The idea of taking a Handie Talkie and hooking it up through a hotspot to talk around the world was intriguing at the time. To be able take a line of sight mode ( VHF/UHF ) to talk to people around the world, peeked my interest. I watched his videos & purchased a hotspot and a Yaesu FT-70D. Total cost at the time was less than $150.00. I can now say "I've been there & done that". The interest wore off quickly considering that with messaging & Zoom, I could do the same thing. If I had to guess, The technology is here to stay. Especially in this "me me me" world we live in now. In times of emergency, I can use the FT-70 & Ft-991A with a battery to communicate. Seems like the Icon 705 can do just about anything.

10. K7CB

K7CB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Perhaps the issue some take with these videos are the perks and/or sponsorships that the owners of these videos receive. It used to be QRZ had articles one could read that were posted by others simply because they wanted to share. Unfortunately, at least to me, it appears it's become more about getting the most views on YouTube to become "famous" and make money. That's just the way I see it and most of that opinion comes from the videos my kids are constantly watching. The other part of it, for me, is that I pay a subscription to this site and more and more of the site has become links to videos on other sites where it appears to me the people posting the videos are making money off of them and it all seems a bit like a conflict of interest to me.

KG7HVR, N1IPU, KC5HWB and 1 other person like this.
  11. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am not a prepper, but in a serious SHTF scenario, I wouldn't dare use analogue as it could be monitored by anyone. Have digital with encryption at the ready.:)

Also, there has been at least one occasion where mains power and water were out at my house for a couple of days. The internet worked the whole time.

Different pathways deliver each service, and one is as likely to fail as the other.

KD5BVX likes this.
  12. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You may be right on some of that. Of course, no one is forced to watch any video or click any link outside of QRZ so there's that, too.

I look at QRZ as a hub for all things ham radio - whether it's info from the ARRL or something from a ham YouTuber (a lot of people learn ham radio things from these videos, by the way...this leads to enhancing the hobby IMHO) or just a regular operator, QRZ is kind of a hub of that information. Whether we choose to click on the links or view the videos is up to each of us and none of us are forced to. This is why I don't have a problem with it.

KC5HWB and KC9ONY like this.
  13. KC5HWB

You aren't wrong. However, I must question why trying to get clicks on YT is an issue. What is the problem with that? Are we not ALSO getting people to watch videos about Amateur Radio, and promoting the hobby? How is what we are doing different than Icom, Yaesu or another manufacturer advertising their product and trying to get people to buy it? So yes.. getting clicks and getting our message out ther eis

N1ONE likes this.
  14. K4WNY

K4WNY Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Tempest in a teapot...

15. KM4KGN

KM4KGN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Internet chat rooms were popular when I was a kid...I guess they are making a comeback.

K0UO likes this.