How Did QSL Cards Become a Thing?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K0LWC, Feb 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. K2DFC

K2DFC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Even technicians can listen anywhere.

And for the record, that's a 7300 not a 706.

2. K8BBE

K8BBE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

[​IMG]
    My Dad W8KYK created this QSL card. The model was my cousin Marsha. I am now the holder of his old card and still use it. My personal card is K8BBE Great show. Chuck K8BBE

W3MDS, N0NB and W6SAE like this.
  3. K0LWC

K0LWC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nothing against monitoring.

I'm active on 40m CW when it comes to HF.

4. N3MCO

N3MCO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm new to the hobby, so collecting physical cards still has a lot of sheen. Makes going to the mailbox a lot more exciting. I had an artist friend make me a vintage inspired card, and I'm really happy with it.
    [​IMG]

N0NB, KV6O, W6SAE and 1 other person like this.
  5. K5YJB

K5YJB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

6. N2AE

N2AE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I did enjoy your video. Nicely done. Active here for 63 years except for 5 college years. I have always enjoyed receiving QSL cards and have a thousand or more in my collection, dating from 1967. I presently design and print my own cards using a program called QSL Studio for Mac. I print them on heavy matte photo stock. My logging program, MacLoggerDX automatically uploads QSO info to LoTW, eQSL and Clublog immediately after the contact is logged. The front of my card is old school, just my call, city and state and can be seen on my QRZ.com page. While I do not send a QSL card for every QSO, I always send a card when one is requested, either hard copy or digital.

vy 73, Jan N2AE

7. KY8D

KY8D Subscriber QRZ Page

QSL_KY8D_Small.png So then, here is mine, 3rd change of design since 1981. Featured is Aplonis Mavornata, the Mysterious Starling. I send a QSL card to each station on 1st contact. They my reply back or not, as they choose. Cards on my wall gain precedence more according to aesthetic merit than rarity of DX ... except for UK9HAD, which is at once among my furthest DX today ... and bar none, the ugliest.

8. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I can tune my car radio to AM 1000 and FM 102.5 yet I'm not a commercial broadcaster... I can listen in to 118.500 but I'm not a pilot.

What's your point? I don't see him transmitting - did I miss something?

Dave
    W7UUU

9. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

My current card, made soon after I moved to Colorado:
    KV6O-QSL-QRZ.jpg
    Front
    KV6O QSL BACK.jpg
    Back
    Others I have sent out over the years...
    St.Thomas IguanaQSL.jpg
    AlcatrazQSL1 copy.jpg

The one above was taken in 2003 from the balcony of a girlfriend I was dating at the time who lived on Russian Hill in San Francisco, about a block away from the famous Lombard "crooked" street. Ahhh, memories... :D

I used this one for a while while I lived there - took it just down the hill on a walk one night:
    CableCarQSL1 copy.jpg

N0NB and W7UUU like this.
  10. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Man, I forget how photogenic San Francisco is...