ad: ProAudio-1

How Did QSL Cards Become a Thing?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K0LWC, Feb 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K2DFC

K2DFC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Even technicians can listen anywhere.

And for the record, that's a 7300 not a 706.

2. K8BBE

K8BBE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

[​IMG]
    My Dad W8KYK created this QSL card. The model was my cousin Marsha. I am now the holder of his old card and still use it. My personal card is K8BBE Great show. Chuck K8BBE

AC2VX, KT4RK, KI7PMQ and 3 others like this.
  3. K0LWC

K0LWC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nothing against monitoring.

I'm active on 40m CW when it comes to HF.

KT4RK likes this.
  4. N3MCO

N3MCO Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm new to the hobby, so collecting physical cards still has a lot of sheen. Makes going to the mailbox a lot more exciting. I had an artist friend make me a vintage inspired card, and I'm really happy with it.
    [​IMG]

AC2VX, KT4RK, KI7PMQ and 5 others like this.
  5. K5YJB

K5YJB Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] [​IMG]

AC2VX and KF4ZKU like this.
  6. N2AE

N2AE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I did enjoy your video. Nicely done. Active here for 63 years except for 5 college years. I have always enjoyed receiving QSL cards and have a thousand or more in my collection, dating from 1967. I presently design and print my own cards using a program called QSL Studio for Mac. I print them on heavy matte photo stock. My logging program, MacLoggerDX automatically uploads QSO info to LoTW, eQSL and Clublog immediately after the contact is logged. The front of my card is old school, just my call, city and state and can be seen on my QRZ.com page. While I do not send a QSL card for every QSO, I always send a card when one is requested, either hard copy or digital.

vy 73, Jan N2AE

7. KY8D

KY8D Subscriber QRZ Page

QSL_KY8D_Small.png So then, here is mine, 3rd change of design since 1981. Featured is Aplonis Mavornata, the Mysterious Starling. I send a QSL card to each station on 1st contact. They my reply back or not, as they choose. Cards on my wall gain precedence more according to aesthetic merit than rarity of DX ... except for UK9HAD, which is at once among my furthest DX today ... and bar none, the ugliest.

8. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

I can tune my car radio to AM 1000 and FM 102.5 yet I'm not a commercial broadcaster... I can listen in to 118.500 but I'm not a pilot.

What's your point? I don't see him transmitting - did I miss something?

Dave
    W7UUU

9. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

My current card, made soon after I moved to Colorado:
    KV6O-QSL-QRZ.jpg
    Front
    KV6O QSL BACK.jpg
    Back
    Others I have sent out over the years...
    St.Thomas IguanaQSL.jpg
    AlcatrazQSL1 copy.jpg

The one above was taken in 2003 from the balcony of a girlfriend I was dating at the time who lived on Russian Hill in San Francisco, about a block away from the famous Lombard "crooked" street. Ahhh, memories... :D

I used this one for a while while I lived there - took it just down the hill on a walk one night:
    CableCarQSL1 copy.jpg

KF4ZKU, N0NB and W7UUU like this.
  10. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Man, I forget how photogenic San Francisco is...

11. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Ah yes - the Powell & Market run - I got pickpocketed to the tune of $600 cash and all my credit cards on that very line in early September 2001 (2 weeks before 9/11).... with my 11 YO daughter. We had to run like racehorses to Union Square to the Bank of America before it closed and plead with them to give me some more cash out of my accounts - fortunately I knew account numbers and approximate balances. We got $1000 to finish our little trip to SFO. And at the airport going home, sans driver's license, the TSA guy just said "well, you got here OK so your ID must have been good in Seattle - you're good to go" - just two weeks later that stance changed for all time!

But yes - it's a LOVELY city and I try to get back every chance I can. I'm just a LOT more careful should I take a cable car to the Wharf!!

Dave
    W7UUU

12. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Ouch! I grew up in NY and spent lots of time in NYC and got a pretty good sense of life in the city.... that heightened awareness thing that kicks in. It still happens to me anytime I am in a major city or big crowd - I just wind up in a defensive posture and watch EVERYONE. So far, nothing like that has happened to me, but it can happen to anyone! My brother lives in Queens (Jackson Heights) and rides the subway into NYC for work... You just adjust to your surroundings I guess!

W7UUU likes this.
  13. W7UUU

Yep - I learned a LOT that day!! It was a couple who just worked us like they'd done a thousand times - engage in conversation with me and my daughter, crowded together in the train car, noisy, lots of tourists like us all around, then the quick move to grab my wallet, and just like that they jumped off the moving trolley before I even knew what happened and they were gone. Bam. Just like that. I'm sure they have done the same trick a thousand times.

So yes - I learned a LOT that day to make sure it never happens again.

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN likes this.
  14. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess you can say you took part in a street (or trolly) performance and had to pay a fee... ;)

W7UUU likes this.
  15. KB3K

KB3K XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Love paper QSL cards! and the pleasure of the opening the mailbox and finding a bunch waiting. So much so that I started designing them and offering the service to my fellow hams.