HF Signal Propagation Reporter, Where Is YOUR Signal Going?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KJ4YZI, Aug 16, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KJ4YZI

KJ4YZI Ham Member QRZ Page

In this video I will show you all about the site PSKreporter, and what you can learn about your signal, and the band conditions. Did you just build an ugly antenna? It may have tuned up, but are your signals traveling the globe? Check out the video to learn more.

SUBSCRIBE to HamRadioConcepts
    LIKE and SHARE on Facebook.

Attached Files:

N7CGV, YD3BHT, AC7DD and 2 others like this.
  2. VE7DXW

VE7DXW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Is this based on WSPR???

3. NS8N

NS8N Ham Member QRZ Page

I like your videos man, please keep them coming. I'm totally new to digital modes so can use all the help I can get. An idea for your next one is how to properly setup a rig so it's not splattering, etc. I read somewhere that ALC indicator should not be coming on at all?

My Ten Tec Jupiter is prob creating a terrible digital signal because I've only ever really worked SSB and CW. I know how to set it up for those modes but not digital.

4. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

PSKReporter is very cool. I have been using it recently to test the performance of a receiving antenna.

PSKReporter actually supports a number of different modes. If you visit the site [pskreporter.info], you can easily flip through the selector for the displayed mode to see which modes are shown, and get an idea for how many people are reporting each different mode.

5. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

From my experience, Zero ALC is not necessarily the ideal setting. Read the radios manual to determine what you should see. Example, TenTec says the ALC light should just flash on peaks, FT-857 says eight bars, KX-3 manual says four bars..... you get the picture. Usually, if you raise the mic gain slowly until power out just ceases to increase you should be below the splatter point, but YMMV.

KB9WVK, AC7DD, NS8N and 1 other person like this.
  6. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed. The goal is to avoid compression artifacts that are created by overdriving the transmitter.

AC7DD likes this.
  7. NI4TG

NI4TG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ive made psk31 contacts in Europe, but have only seen my signal reported in the us. This technology is great though to verify your transmission. And yes, I have found the mic gain to be most helpful in adjusting the power out.

8. 2J0COQ

2J0COQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I love PSK reporter, I leave my transceiver on RX when I am not using it, and can monitor from anywhere I have wifi what it is receiving. Also great for working out what times of day that rare DX is active and workable for you.

regards

MJ0LEL

KK5JY likes this.
  9. KG5THG

KG5THG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Great tool without a question. Nice to be able to select by mode. The show logbook selection is great for a quick view of where you are being heard and who you are hearing. The distance chart selection is great for a nice quick graph to see the primary range you are operating in within the given interval. Mr. Gladstone also does the CWOP charts. He is one of the best at statistics and charting I've seen in a long time. Very user friendly presentations.

10. VE7BPB

VE7BPB Ham Member QRZ Page

No, PSKreporter will show most of the other digital modes, but not wspr. That mode is left to wsprnet.org.

regards,
    Roy