ad: MLSons-1

Hams hack $110 DMR radio to allow support for D-STAR, P25 and System Fusion

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA3XFT, Jan 21, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. VA3XFT

VA3XFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hams have reverse engineered or “hacked” one of the most popular DMR radios on the market today – the Chinese made TYT MD-380, allowing for a fully open source firmware to be uploaded into the radio, allowing support for D-STAR, P25 and System Fusion.

FULL STORY

Don
    VA3XFT

KF7PCL likes this.
  2. N4EGA

N4EGA Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, I'll say it: This is seriously bad@$$! Soon as I can find some free time, I got a little project now...

3. VE4AI

VE4AI QRZ Member

Unfortunately, the MD-380 hardware is garbage. It drifts timeslots on TDMA and has no front-end for RX. It will make an OK scanner for those want to monitor commercial DMR systems, but don't know the system parameters. For $110US, it's a very reasonable price for this application.

The firmware/hardware hack itself is a notable accomplishment. It's too bad those who are able, haven't tried hacking the Motorola XTS3000 or ASTRO Saber (now unsupported products) to do the similar things. Now those would make fine amateur radio transceivers which don't cause harmful interference to DMR systems.

Source: http://communications.support/threads/10541-Tytera-radios-junk?p=76334#post76334

KC8YXA, KW6MOT and K5YVY like this.
  4. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Careful reading of the announcement says to me that they have not yet developed the code to do DSTAR, P25, or Fusion. Indeed, it says they are "looking for people" who can do this. So, unless you have some idea of how to program the radio to do those modes, I don't think you'll gain much yet. But, it does look like a promising possibility. I am still hoping we see something from CSI on their multimode radio at Dayton, and I'm aware of other groups who have reverse-engineered the AMBE vocoder, in anticipation of the patents expiring in the near future. An affordable multimode radio might be what's needed to get people off the fence and onto digital modes.

KC8YXA, KF7PCL, K0AVL and 2 others like this.
  5. N4NJJ

N4NJJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The hardware BARELY handles doing DMR correctly. I only see this turn into one big mess.

KW6MOT, VE4AI and KO1C like this.
  6. K4EAE

K4EAE Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess we need to find a decent radio that something like this can be done, or force the B Boys to work together to get this done.

7. N0DSS

N0DSS Ham Member QRZ Page

Is this a promotional ad? ;)

K0CEL likes this.
  8. N0WZE

N0WZE Ham Member QRZ Page

According to the article, this ALLOWS.... but nothing has actually been made to work.... So, yes it sounds like a promotional ad.

9. KE0CAA

KE0CAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes they still havent added the other modes yet however the people working on this are the same ones who are behind the rtl-sdr. I think they are plenty capable and if they feel that the hardware is capable I look forward to what they come up with.

10. W4RLR

W4RLR Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you say VAPORWARE?

KU0O likes this.
  11. KU0O

KU0O XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The price of the MD-380's have gone up significantly after this announcement.

12. KC2DQ

KC2DQ Ham Member QRZ Page

13. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

So far as I am aware, the Kenwood NX5000 series of radios are the only ones that can operate over more than one digital standard (aside from different flavors of P25 like phase 1 and 2, or conventional and trunking which many radios do). In their case NXDN and P25. All others are vaporware at this time. Some people declared it was impossible to have more than one digital standard in one radio but Kenwood is shipping these radios and they are in service. It's too bad that they don't offer other digital standards. Perhaps they will modify these radios to operate with other standards (DMR, D-Star, and Fusion) and offer them as an amateur product. Only Kenwood knows for sure. For the time being we just have to buy more radios. Kind of a pain though to carry four different HT's on your belt. Makes for an impressive ham shack or car install.

14. W8QZ

W8QZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess I'm too cheap to buy into the digital VHF / UHF stuff just yet. Hasn't got me excited about it. Seems like the different standards should be able to be handled by some form of SDR - then, just a matter of licensing the protocals / codecs / etc. - show me a radio that can handle the modes all will get my money.

15. W2MGF

W2MGF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

i just did it but my question how will it work on dstar what else needs 2 be done please email me im good on qrz