ad: ProAudio-1

HamRadioNow: That ARRL Entry Level License Survey

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Mar 2, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have seen it directly, and then seen the direct turn-off when they see the size of the Tech question pool.

Honestly, why should TODAY's young people be given a TOUGHER path to entry into ham radio than many of us did 50 years ago??

Again: its not the TEST its the QUESTION POOL VOLUME.

2. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

NOT a "dumbed down" exam! But a right-sized question pool and exam that efficiently proves that a candidate has enough practical knowledge to be legal and safe, and, SKILLS that they can operate a radio properly.

It's incredible how many currently licensed "dumbed up" op's apparently can not figure out, and have never been shown how, or tested for competency, on operating their sophisticated rigs correctly. Just about any DX pileup running split will provide lots of proof.

3. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Offer them a ham-radio enabled HT / Smartfone device like described in post #1169 and the kids will pursue clubs / Elmers like rats to the Pied-Piper for licensing and flock into Maker Faire's and/or radio stores to get equipped and OTA.

4. AD5KO

AD5KO Ham Member QRZ Page

That would be great if it were true and the technology is certainly there. But I suspect that when these new smartphone radios become cheap enough that most of this current generation of kids will just use them like they do FRS radios and not care at all about licensing. It goes back to responsibility, like the Scouts.

N5IPA likes this.
  5. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Even if they buy and use them only as FRS radios, that's fine. It will help drive quantities up and price down for those who do get trained and licensed for access to all the other really cool features and freedoms of amateur radio supported open-source wireless comm infrastructure.

Many hams still start by exposure to alternative radio services, ie, CB, FRS / MURS, Marine, Airband, etc, heck, even play with BT / WiFi and Part 5, do eventually get infected with a bigger "radio bug" and eventually move fully into licensed amateur radio.

Obviously, not so much from SWL'ing any more, as so many OOT'ers like me :-(

6. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

You are not kidding about that, it is mind numbing listening to them on split operation.

I see absolutely NO POINT what so ever in having entry level license that would ask more than a couple of questions to verify they know their authorized frequency and few basic rules. This is the year 2017 and all the rigs are off the shelf compliant with emissions and locked to ham frequency only so what are they going to do that is so wrong??????????? Their has been BS on the ham bands for at the last 45 years that I have heard and that was still back in the day when you had to actually have technical prowess and know the code. At least now days the "agitators" are using social media sites instead of Ham frequencies.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  7. AD5KO

AD5KO Ham Member QRZ Page

I started out on CB when I was a kid.

I didn't mean that they would be operating on FRS frequencies, I meant they could operate on ham frequencies with those new smart phones and not care. Which is why I made a reference to the responsible nature of kids such as the Scouts, not everyone is like that. Just because the technology is there is does not mean that it will be used responsibly. Much like some Operators in DX pile ups with sophisticated rigs they don't know how to use, as you said.

N5IPA likes this.
  8. K3HDG

K3HDG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks James, you have proven my point.

9. AB4D

AB4D QRZ Lifetime Member #415 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

You're welcome Eric. You said "go ahead and rebuke my statements", and that's been done by several posters.

Enjoy, and good luck memorizing those questions and answers on the General. No need to comply with the regulations, and attempt to learn the material, when you can resort to cheating.:rolleyes: I do commend you, at least you are honest about it. :D

'73

N5IPA likes this.
  10. K3HDG

K3HDG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Jimmy. Can't wait hear you on the air!

11. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Ham Member QRZ Page

Why is this cheating. You are learning the questions and the correct answers just like it is set up to do.
    Cheating:
    1. 1.
      act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage, especially in a game or examination.
      "she always cheats at cards"
    2. 2.
      avoid (something undesirable) by luck or skill.
      "she cheated death in a spectacular crash"
    If they thought it was cheating to have the questions before hand to study they would not print the questions but just make you learn it from a book.
    So there is no cheating going on. If you wrote the questions and answers on the back of your hand before going into take the test that would be cheating. If you imprint them in your head that is not cheating,
    So enough with the cheating stuff just cause it is done different now then 40 years ago.
    In the technical world I have lived I have taken a lot of open book tests. To much info to learn but you show you know how to find the answers to the questions.

So in Amateur Radio I would have no problem with just putting out study material and then making the test "open book" showing you know where to go for the answers and you know what to do with the info once you find it. I know am not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I don't remember everything I learned to get my Advanced but if I need some info I had in my head back then I know I can go and get the answer and figure out what to do with the info.

I know some of you never forget a single thing that you have learned but that is just not how my brain works.

Just my opinion
    John, WB0MPB

12. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I am an Electrical Engineer.......... and see no basis what so ever to require an entry level test to have any "technical" theory. If someone has enough ambition and a desire to progress further many publications exist to further their knowledge in electronics. So, if they LIKE the hobby and want to chase DX at 14.003 mhz or for what ever reason desire more spectrum access most certainly make them jump through the hoops.

13. AB4D

John, IMO the method that Eric indicated, that he uses to pass the examination (memorization of the Questions and Answers ONLY) is a form of cheating. It cheats the system, by defeating the intent and purpose of the examination as defined in the regulations, and that is to determine if an applicant has acquired the necessary knowledge to meet the implied standards in Part 97.

When someone states, that he does not even attempt to learn the subject matter presented, and "then absolutely trash of all that memorization". Why bother to give them an examination at all? A person that does that, only proves he has good memorization skills, it does not prove he has acquired and possesses the required knowledge that forms the basis of the questions and answers.

The purpose of the examination is not to determine if an applicant has memorized the questions and answers. The purpose of the examination is to determine if the applicant has learned the subject matter, so the applicant CAN correctly answer the questions, in accordance with 97.503, that states..."A written examination must be such as to prove that the examinee possesses the
    operational and technical qualifications required to perform properly the duties of an amateur service licensee".

The regulations do not state, a written examination must be as such to prove that the examinee memorized the questions and the answers in the question pool.

You stated, "If they thought it was cheating to have the questions before hand to study they would not print the questions but just make you learn it from a book." However, in contrast, if they only wanted someone to learn the questions and answers, they would not print books and guides that contain the study material on the subject matter. Organizations such as the ARRL and W5YI/Gordon West, would simply hand everyone a sheet with the answers and questions from the question pool. Rather, they print thousands of books each year.

I agree, things have changed, with the question pools available on the internet. Some people don't even bother to purchase the study guides, they simply memorize the Q and A. However, the questions and answers are printed to assist applicants to study the subject matter. They are not available, so applicants can circumvent the responsibility to learn the subject matter, as implied by the regulations.

No one expects anyone, post examination, to retain every bit of material presented for each license class. However, at the time of the examination, applicants are expected to have acquired sufficient knowledge of the subject matter for the license class they are seeking, to pass the examination. Once someone learns a subject matter. It's usually suggestive, they retain the the ability to reacquire and process previously learned information fairly quickly.

John, I appreciate your point of view, but it's not one I completely share. So we can agree to disagree.

73, Jim AB4D

14. AB4D

So, under your suggestion, there would be no technical theory at all in the entry level examination. That would leave just operational knowledge and rules and regulations, no electronic knowledge to be learned.

Then how do you propose, that examination can still serve the suggested purpose of no technical theory required and comply with the regulations noted below?

"Expansion of the existing reservoir within the amateur radio service of trained operators, technicians, and electronics experts."

"A written examination must be such as to prove that the examinee possesses the operational and technical qualifications required to perform properly the duties of an amateur service licensee."

How do you propose to use a non-technical test, to qualify people for something that for all intended purposes, is clearly defined as a technical avocation?

Jim AB4D

N5IPA likes this.
  15. AB4D

Doubtful, and I never use "Jimmy". :)

N5IPA likes this.