ad: ProAudio-1

HamRadioNow: That ARRL Entry Level License Survey

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Mar 2, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Why?

I know Perry, who I trust to do a fine job.

The problem is the bloated SIZE of the pool, not the CONTENT.

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

3. N5IPA

N5IPA Ham Member QRZ Page

I just thought your time might be more productive petitioning them than here. I see you have all of the answers.

A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

It's an interesting point. I will be down in Newington in a few weeks and have a nice chat with Perry.

Thanks for the helpful suggestion.

Chip W1YW

5. N5IPA

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, but that growth is not happening with the younger demographic.

There is not the 'amateur public safety' and 'prepper' component in Sweden, that leads to the many 'just-in-case' Tech licensees we find in the States.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    WF9Q likes this.
  7. N5IPA

Which reinforces the argument that getting licensed doesn't mean people will use the license. As has been stated many time in this thread there are a multitude of obsticals keeping young people out of the hobby

Cost of setting up a station
    Awareness of the hobby
    Local Elmers to help with station issues
    Active and helpful local clubs
    Transportation to ham events
    Lack of school activities both directly and indirectly related to ham radio.

We have 8 year old extras, licensing is not a major issue until the other obsticals are overcome.

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The 'obsticals' of ignorance are indeed boundary conditions.

Getting and using words correctly is not an obstacle here...at this QTH. Maybe it helps to be a multi-book author and managing editor....but I think it really just takes the volition to work at it and get it right.

When common usage words are used in a new and limited context, they rob the richness and accuracy of communication that society strives for; nothing is gained by vulgar street talk use of common words outside of their standard contexts.

Dictionaries are for always.

Street tongue is for the streets.

This is not a street. One way or otherwise.

The outrageous perversity of imbuing allusions to societal taboos because one prefers 'street tongue' to common usage is a huge disservice to those who use the words correctly without resorting to 'hood talk.

I lay discalced in my disportment.

Ain't nuthin nasty being there bro....

9. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

That is far from the truth, you can buy cheap import stuff for around 50 bucks, even a good Kenwood TM what ever is about 1/3 the cost it was 20 years ago.
    Maybe where you live, the radio clubs in my area are VERY helpful
    That is 100% fault of the parents, not too many people are going to take a some one elses 12 year old child to a hamfest 100 miles away unless they are blood relative.
    I will agree with you 100% on that.

N5IPA likes this.
  10. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I got into ham radio by PARTICIPATING in club activities.
    Since periodically visiting, against my and my XYL better judgment, local club(s) I have found NO ACTIVITY to participate in.
    As I stated many times before - Saturday breakfasts and "presentations" at general meetings are NOT amateur radio activities. In MY opinion of course.
    In last meeting I offered for Field Day use of my experimental delta array ( I cannot do FD this year).
    Out to full "meeting room " , about 40 or so souls , I got NO, NADA, NICHEVO response.

(After my announcement, a discussion about in which restaurant "we should meet " for next Saturday breakfast followed. No consensus was reached. )

"I still haven't figured out why we need to worry about 350,000 inactive Techs (or whatever the secret number may be)."
    Simple , follow the $$ trail.

73 Shirley

AD5KO and N5IPA like this.
  11. N5IPA

This is how we got so far off topic earlier, So my grammar is not perfect, I make spelling errors big deal. You focusing on those mistakes because you can not defend you argument helps no one. Ridicule me all you want, toot your horn all you want, it will not change the fact your argument is flawed.

AD5KO likes this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yet again you missed it.

It's because you don't 'get the words', IMO, that you fail to get the meaning, and the answer I provided multiple time.

You don't deny or reject it--you just don't understand what the words are telling you. That's my opinion--and why repeating the answer, as I have, fails to achieve registration.

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Shirley,

I hear you. Some areas have active and vibrant clubs, but they are rare.

Often these clubs are 'breakfast clubs' for old men who are widowed or divorced and retired. They serve a real purpose--they are legit 'support groups'-- but breaking into those tight circles is usually not worth the effort. Change is avoided.

They are often suspicious of outsiders and really on-edge when someone outside of their demographic enters....we kind of expect the diversity of demographics such as found in a church community, but, again, that is rare these days in ham clubs.

14. N5IPA

Great there are cheap radios, what about the antenna system, or installing it?

Yes club activity varies tremendously area by area, There is a great club 50 miles from my home, but the local club leaves a lot to be desired.

In some cases, but not all.

Great, I am glad we can agree on some things. Also thank you for addressing all of my post.

15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

You have to be committed to the true meaning of communication.

In college, that meant writing words on the back of my hand so I would remember to look them up before I went to sleep; reading vociferously; writing stertorously and then with eventual clarity.

Committment.

Not the narrowing vocabulary and distracted meanings of street talk--and then blaming others on clear communications you apparently do not get. IMO.