ad: Retevis-1

Ham Talk Live! Episode 209 - How Hams Can Help COVID-19 Research

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9VPG, Apr 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

2. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It can replace the SETI @ home software no longer being run.:D:rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    W1YW likes this.
  3. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is a link to a more technical FAQ regarding clotting with COVID-19.

https://www.hematology.org/covid-19/covid-19-and-coagulopathy

Note in particular the last Q&A - "Prophylactic dose LMWH is recommended for all hospitalized COVID-19 patients despite abnormal coagulation tests in the absence of active bleeding ... most European and North American ICU patients receive routine LMWH/UFH (heparin) prophylaxis regardless of diagnosis."

The pathogenesis of this awful disease is quite a mystery to unravel. It seems to spur many potential complications and perhaps the clotting may be brought on by other parallel comorbidities, secondary infections, cytokine storm, septic shock, etc. Review of this fairly recent StatPearl from clinicians in Italy sums it up pretty well,

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK554776/#_article-52171_s4_

My XYL reports that COVID-19 treatment protocols are changing daily at her hospital with lots of innovative hands-on thinking and rapid wide based feedback (WWW)

Chip, being a reader of your posts over years I am sympathetic to any extra personal concern regarding a thrombosis threat. Stay vigilant.

73, John, WØPV

NY4I and W1YW like this.
  4. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Old proverb - "Generals are always prepared to fight the last war" Will this ever change?

Soldiers "maimed by IUD's" ... when as yet unborn? :rolleyes:

OTOH, the threat of effective IED's did spur the rapid innovation of new tactics and countermeasures, the MRAP, etc.

W4HM likes this.
  5. W4HM

I abhor conspiracy theories and unfortunately there are plenty of them circulating around about COVID-19. But as one with "some" intellect I feel that the whole COVID-19 thing is being over sold and is causing people unnecessarily to freak out.

And I'm not a doctor and didn't stay at Holiday In Express.

BTW I have a cousin who lives in Rochester, VT, that is. I had my own place up there as an escape from Florida's summer heat, humidity and bugs but illness forced me to sell it.

N8ZI likes this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Tom,

I absolutely agree its approaching time to open business again, and for the time being, wear a mask. Maybe a week to re-open? Certainly not more than two. Depends on whether you are in a hot zone--apparently I am smack in one of the hottest ones at moment.

We just have to find some reasonable therapy. This 'suddenly go from recovery of flu (-like) to on a respirator(ventilator) in two hours' situation is what is driving everything into the ground.Corona is an outrageous death sentence for health workers in particular.

IF we had some therapy (without cure), that didn't stop flu-like symptoms, but stopped the other grave aspects, I would probably be WILLING to get Corona in order to create the antibodies....

My opinion on the matter.

BTW, its mud season and the cow poo is overly redolent, so you would NOT like to be in Rochester VT right now;-)

I go frequently to Waitsfield, but none so far this Spring....they are re-opening VT this week:)

I bet you miss cow pie bingo! KEEP VERMONT WEIRD:)!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    W4HM likes this.
  7. AA1PR

AA1PR Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool, Rochester in a nice area, know it well

I usually monitor Killington 88 repeater

Dave ka5vva an old blue angel pilot is up there too last I knew

W4HM and W1YW like this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Some folks may not know what (LMW)heparin is...good for them! They aren't heart attack patients:)!

(Just kiddin') :).

I think we are going to find that low dose aspirin has some benefit for those who have Corona in early stages, on this clotting issue. Yes, that is my pure speculation, without an extant basis of fact. Call it a hunch.

The problem is that the public will latch onto that ( if the aspririn proves beneficial), and OD; cause shortages; and so on.

9. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Political post deleted.....?

10. W4HM

Moo poo.:D

My oldest daughter is an RN at a local hospital and came down with swine flu-B earlier in the winter. It really kicked her butt.:( But no COVID-19 cases so far.:)

N8ZI and W1YW like this.
  11. W9JEF

W9JEF QRZ Lifetime Member #571 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

It is time , almost, to re-open, with certain reasonable guidelines.

I will assert sufficient intelligence to have formed that opinion. I don't need others' uninformed opinions to produce my own, thank you.

W4HM likes this.
  13. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

You almost made me choke in my dinner :D:D:D at least I get to scrape it off of my screen :D:D:D

WR2E likes this.
  14. N4CAX

N4CAX Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems like more youtube hit mining garbage to me.

NU4R likes this.
  15. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's REALLY too bad that ON-THE-AIR chatter rarely sees this kind of attention!

In fact,to those who have turned their repeated responses to this post, and other examples in the past, to as close to their own personnel "sounding board" and soap boxes as I've ever witnessed on QRZ, do you select OMs even own something you can transmit on within a ham band?

OH! I know the severity and sensitivity of the topic at hand regardless of the quite pathetic original post!

>>>I'M IN AND OUT OF COMMERCIAL AIRCRAFT 7 DAYS AND NIGHTS A WEEK !<<<

Take it to the airwaves boys and girls!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.