Ham Radio is "faintly embarrasing?"

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KV9Y, Dec 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. WB8YJF

WB8YJF Ham Member QRZ Page

Face it, we are techno-nerds..and da** proud of it. When the chips are down, we are the best thing since sliced bread...like VU4. I could care less if anyone calls me a nerd. In fact I like it. That means I know something they can't even comprehend...coooooollllll.....plus my XYL is a hot babe...! [​IMG]

2. N2QFD

N2QFD Ham Member QRZ Page

So ham radio is a embarrasing hobby?

Well tell that to thoes of us who relayed traffic out of NYC on 9/11/01 to the country. Connecting loved ones with their families when everything else was clogged or down from traffic.
    I sat in on the ECARS net from 10:00 -15:30 as the Otsego County New York relay.
    Ham radio is not just a hobby. We are licensed by the FCC and so the Amateur Radio Service is more than a hobby but a way for individuals to serve their community and country by keeping lines of communication open as well as developing new modes of communication.

Tell Time what a silly hobby they are!

3. AF6AH

AF6AH Ham Member QRZ Page

Gentelemen, Ladies, and Fellow Hams:
    I have read all comments and every one has a wonderful point to make. The topic is dishartening but please consider the source of your anoyance.
    To some this up. Twenty years ago Time send me a subscription advertesment and a wonderful price deal on their anual subscription price.
    The reply I have sent them at the time was:
    Not this TIME.
    Please surprise me and let me KNOW if Time will ever reply or offer any mention of an appology to any of the correspondence attempts made to them!
    Untill than I consider the matter DEAD and a waste of all of our TIME.
    Twenty years ago I considered the TIME content as pure trash, what makes you think they improved TODAY.
    Val
    KD6ZXT

4. N9ESH

N9ESH Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham Radio is embarrassing?
    No, the printed press along with the electronic media in this country is what can only be described as stunningly and starkly embarrassing! Need I say more?

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

We made fools of ourselves, and none of the rants were printed by TIME.

Now; aren't you proud to be a 'ham'?

6. N2NH

N2NH Ham Member QRZ Page

But Chip, you always feel that all amateur radio is passe. Every post you make states that. I understand that, this is the way YOU feel, but please understand that there are some of us who post here because we love our hobby and do not feel this way.

I agree that action is better than reacation, but you say that and do not give a specific course of action? Please be more clear on what you think would be productive. It is easy to criticize and theorize from afar, but to actually formulate thought and strategy is not as easy.

Funny, at least some of us feel strongly enough about our hobby to act. Maybe not always in the best sense, but through a dedication to working with what we have. You talk like a ham that doesn't want to be a ham and you act as if it's demise is a foregone conclusion. Maybe for you, but not for me. In saying that "ALL that I have seen SO far" (regarding our efforts), you are categorically dismissing the honest efforts of your fellow hams in an oblique attack on their energies. Energies that you refuse to use since the we are obsolete. Yet I do not see you sending back your ticket to the FCC and you do still sign off with your callsign. So how dead do you feel we are?

As far as "WAVE", it's nice of you to mention this, but it would be nicer if you would explain it instead of being so cryptic. Since, unlike this, it sounds like a personal project, I invite you to email me with the particulars on it rather than involve the entire group who may or may not have heard about it/been interested in it.

I'm so glad that (as with so many things), you interpreted Lev's comments as "to mean that ham radio is viewed as passe." Mayb e that isn't what he meant. Since he isn't hear, why not just admit that is YOUR take and any of us could interpret it another way which would be just as valid.

Oh, and BTW, please let me know how the DX to the Tsunami area is on WiFi.

John/N2NH
    (who was sick and couldn't respond earlier TKU) [​IMG]

7. N2NH

N2NH Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe a chat room is a better analogy? Or maybe calling a dateline on your cell phone would be a place where you'd meet strangers?

8. N2NH

N2NH Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent letter and as far as anybody who thinks women don't like hams, my new fiance is extremely interested and studying for the Tech.

BTW, the ARRL is telling hams to complain about BPL or the providers will be able to claim that they're not interfering with our service.

John/N2NH

9. N8KIP

N8KIP Ham Member QRZ Page

As far as as Grossman's article goes.....
    well, I was out of bathroom tissue anyways.
    [​IMG]

10. WK6U

WK6U Ham Member QRZ Page

ok... i can't help it... one thing i like about ham radio is the diversity of everyone on the band... i have heard plenty of differing views on the radio, and i am glad that we are not all the same... so, who really cares if time magazine prints an article saying ham radio is embarrasing? that mag should have the same freedom of speech as we should be able to have on the air... i would think that, by now, all you experienced hams would have learned to not be so thin skinned! seems to me that all this moaning and groaning is what should be embarrasing... quit taking yourselves so seriously, unless there is an actual emergancy...

okay, all you important amateur radio operators, go ahead and pick this apart!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.