ad: M2Ant-1

Ham Radio is "faintly embarrasing?"

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KV9Y, Dec 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. N2NH

N2NH Ham Member QRZ Page

But Chip, you always feel that all amateur radio is passe. Every post you make states that. I understand that, this is the way YOU feel, but please understand that there are some of us who post here because we love our hobby and do not feel this way.

I agree that action is better than reacation, but you say that and do not give a specific course of action? Please be more clear on what you think would be productive. It is easy to criticize and theorize from afar, but to actually formulate thought and strategy is not as easy.

Funny, at least some of us feel strongly enough about our hobby to act. Maybe not always in the best sense, but through a dedication to working with what we have. You talk like a ham that doesn't want to be a ham and you act as if it's demise is a foregone conclusion. Maybe for you, but not for me. In saying that "ALL that I have seen SO far" (regarding our efforts), you are categorically dismissing the honest efforts of your fellow hams in an oblique attack on their energies. Energies that you refuse to use since the we are obsolete. Yet I do not see you sending back your ticket to the FCC and you do still sign off with your callsign. So how dead do you feel we are?

As far as "WAVE", it's nice of you to mention this, but it would be nicer if you would explain it instead of being so cryptic. Since, unlike this, it sounds like a personal project, I invite you to email me with the particulars on it rather than involve the entire group who may or may not have heard about it/been interested in it.

I'm so glad that (as with so many things), you interpreted Lev's comments as "to mean that ham radio is viewed as passe." Mayb e that isn't what he meant. Since he isn't hear, why not just admit that is YOUR take and any of us could interpret it another way which would be just as valid.

Oh, and BTW, please let me know how the DX to the Tsunami area is on WiFi.

John/N2NH
    (who was sick and couldn't respond earlier TKU) [​IMG]

2. N2NH

N2NH Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe a chat room is a better analogy? Or maybe calling a dateline on your cell phone would be a place where you'd meet strangers?

3. N2NH

N2NH Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent letter and as far as anybody who thinks women don't like hams, my new fiance is extremely interested and studying for the Tech.

BTW, the ARRL is telling hams to complain about BPL or the providers will be able to claim that they're not interfering with our service.

John/N2NH

4. N8KIP

N8KIP Ham Member QRZ Page

As far as as Grossman's article goes.....
    well, I was out of bathroom tissue anyways.
    [​IMG]

5. WK6U

WK6U Ham Member QRZ Page

ok... i can't help it... one thing i like about ham radio is the diversity of everyone on the band... i have heard plenty of differing views on the radio, and i am glad that we are not all the same... so, who really cares if time magazine prints an article saying ham radio is embarrasing? that mag should have the same freedom of speech as we should be able to have on the air... i would think that, by now, all you experienced hams would have learned to not be so thin skinned! seems to me that all this moaning and groaning is what should be embarrasing... quit taking yourselves so seriously, unless there is an actual emergancy...

okay, all you important amateur radio operators, go ahead and pick this apart!

6. N2NH

N2NH Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, this is an excellent forum. Personally, I'm glad to see that we've done our job, got you interested and that you've posted. Please feel free to disagree, but do realize that the threats to our service are real and that when people ignorantly denigrate us to a public that knows very little about us, we should be able to defend ourselves no less than any other group. Maybe we are (I am) being thin skinned about this, but then again, see how you feel when you're falsely accused of RFI and the person only knows this point of view. Particularly in the face of BPL, the days of just turning on the rig and operating are no longer valid. If you want to operate, you must take an interest in the service itself.

Or lose it.:(

John/N2NH

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi John,

I hope you are feeling better.

Obviously your statements here are false.

Ham radio has not kept up with the wireless revolution; while for generations it led it. It has the very real potential to be antiquated: my concern is not only that many vocal hams IGNORE this warning from, say outside (non-hams) but actively attempt to degrade and censure those who deliver the message from the inside.

In a very real sense, ham 'radio' now competes--poorly--with 'amateur wireless'--which is WiFi and related methods.

You can either blame me for stating the obvious, or take it to heart and focus initiatives of what ham radio can and should become.

I am offended that you assert that I do not love our hobby. The question is: can you deal with tough love, or do you want to live in the past?

Chip N1IR

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Proud to be a ham. Get and read TIME every week.

Chip N1IR

9. N2NH

N2NH Ham Member QRZ Page

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

11. KC9GVB

KC9GVB Guest

12. K4JF

K4JF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"hamsexy.com"[​IMG] Now THAT's embarassing!!!

13. K4JF

Amen!!! The only comparison of ham radio and cell phones was autopatches, which have just about all died out. There is nothing on cell phones or computers to compare with the communications afforded by ham radio. Nothing.

I'm never embarassed by ham radio and I find that most people are fascinated with some of the people and places ham radio has taken me, and that's not even counting the many emergency activities I've been involved in over the years.

We just aren't telling our story, guys!! It's still a great activity and far, far more than "just a hobby". Restoring my old Mustang is "just a hobby".

14. K4JF

You have that one backwards (again), Chuck. We are a service, not the recipient of a service. Read the regs.

And "amateur" means "unpaid". That's ALL it means. It has nothing whatsoever to do with competence, duty, or anything else. Professional means "paid" and likewise, it has nothing to do with competence, service, etc. Amateurs can, and are, required to perform services at times.

Example: I am a certified first aid "first responder". I am not paid, being retired, but my certification is current. Therefore I am an amateur. By law, if I am at the scene of someone needing medical attention, I am required by law (and compassion, of course) to help that person or persons to the extent of my ability and training.

15. N2NH

N2NH Ham Member QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.