ad: portazero-1

Ham Radio is "faintly embarrasing?"

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KV9Y, Dec 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W5HTW

W5HTW Ham Member QRZ Page

I think I'll check back here when it reaches maybe 750 posts, and again at 1450, and see if anyone has actually said anything. Who knows? Someone may actually come up with something!

Ya'll have fun!

Happy New Year, too, by the way.

And oh yes... which one of you is participating in ham radio operations in Asia, in support of ham activities concerning the quake/tsunami? I probably missed that post. Sorry.

Ed

2. GM0TGE

GM0TGE Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know who Lev Grossman is, what sort of name is "Lev" anyway? The media doesn't like any "hobby". No hobby is cool. Ask your kids or grandkids.. what is Justin Timberlake's hobby? They will tell you he doesn't have a hobby.

3. M0PAC

M0PAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Time? Lev who?? Why should I (we??) be remotly concerned about the opinions of such irrelevant people and publications? The media does not have sole right to wisdom, in fact many journalists let slip their lack of common sense by the stoires they write or questions they ask. Just duck, let the crap fly over your head, it will soon be gone!!

Man trapped for underground for 6 months. When finally released, first interviewer asks 'Are you pleased to be out?'  derrrr!!

4. AC3DB

AC3DB Ham Member QRZ Page

I have never seen a hot chick at a hamfest

5. VE3LT

VE3LT Ham Member QRZ Page

I've seen a hot chick at a hamfest... once ... well she was rather pretty ... ok she had nice hair ... well I thought it was a chick? ... her moustache was a bit thick though! ... at least she was at female? ... I think???

What hot chick wants to hang out with aging geeks anyway on a Saturday morning when they can go to yoga class instead? I hear tupperware parties are usually held on Saturdays mornings too?

Just more overt obfuscation and practitioner of the comprehensionally impaired or the terminally myopic just to keep this thread alive!

73 de Tom, and mirth merchant of the posts

6. KB9IKY

KB9IKY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sent to Time:

To who it may concern, if anyone,

Thanks again for reminding me why I don't subscribe to and quite reading Time! Your recent article by Lev Grossman on "Blogs" is the reenforcement. ("Before this year, blogs were a curiosity, a cult phenomenon, a faintly embarrassing hobby on the order of ham radio and stamp collecting.") I personally know a stamp collector who worked very hard to raise eight children and put them through private school to ensure their education as I was the oldest of them! And as for the "Ham Radio" aspect of the comment, as a adult I could not care less what Lev thinks of me or my hobbies, but as a FCC licensed General Class Amateur Radio Operator, I know I had to learn, and am still learning, a lot of electronics and science at each new level, not to mention a new language! That right, a new language, it's called Morris Code! The "hobby" itself has taught me a greater appreciation of Geography and History as I communicate with other operators from interesting and far away places around the globe. I also rather enjoy the security of being able to communicate when the "commercial" systems go down as they often do. So in closing I would just like to say I won't even try to understand this level of ignorance of, or arrogance about a subject. And it is not I who should be embarrassed.

Lawrence D. Hagner KB9IKY
    Indianapolis, IN.

7. WA6GON

WA6GON Ham Member QRZ Page

This is blown way way out of proportion. Doing so only makes us all look uncivilized. The author actually paid Hams and Stam Collectors a complement. Read that line carefully. He said that early blogging was faintly embarassing to the general public UNTIL everyone caught on. Now blogging is MAINSTREAM. Hams are EARLY adoptors of technology, something we should be proud of. I believe that those concerned about this foolishness owe time an apology. You're much to serious about yourselves. So serious you can't read the real meaning. If you asked the author today what he meant I'm SURE he would say that Hams were smarter than than the rest of us.Sheesh.

8. N5ELK

N5ELK Ham Member QRZ Page

I just read the article in Time and then sent them an email....Twice!! It came back as undeliverable!! BOTH times.....73's.....Dennis...N5ELK Las Cruces, New Mexico

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I am certain that you do not need to convince TIME that (some) hams have "quite reading..."

You should try reading the "Morris Code". It says: 1) act finicky;' 2) be smug; 3) say 'Oh joy' in the most tiresome way; 4) lick your paws after vanquishing the Eighth life.

We are no longer 'faintly' embarrassing IMO. We've made damn fools of ourselves.

10. WA1NTA

WA1NTA Ham Member QRZ Page

Based on many of the responses in this thread, many of us must feel “slightly embarrassed” by our hobby. Too bad.
    People are always intimidated by what they don't understand.
    Perhaps that's why many cannot relate to a hobby that requires its practitioners to prove their expertise by passing a written exam and becoming licensed by the federal government. That requires those who use their privileges of operating on the air to do so in a polite and courteous manner and without pecuniary interest.
    Ours is a hobby with a much grander purpose whether by design or evolution or by the stature of most of those who pursue this great hobby. Amateur Radio is more than communication in times of disaster or special event, this may be all that the outside world knows and good for public relations but we know it’s much more than that.
    Contrary to what some have posted, ham radio has led technology on many fronts and continues to do so. Our members have filled this countries needs for trained communications and technology experts throughout the 20th and 21st centuries. Hams foster good will and encourage friendships worldwide and mentor those who show an interest in this wonderful hobby. This group of dedicated hobbyists have preserved this countries technical history and kept all of the varied modes of communication alive and well. Our hobby has enabled those who have no other way of communicating with the world to actively do so. It is a hobby that spans all age groups, ethnicities, religions, sexes and political groups. Dedicated groups in our ranks have enabled our proud service men and women to communicate with their loved ones throughout our history and kept scores of routine and health and welfare traffic flowing around the world every day. The list goes on… but I won’t, you fill in what I have left out.
    This is what the world doesn’t see, but my friends we have much to be proud of. Don’t let the casual words of the misinformed sway your view of our wonderful hobby.
    George Falardeau
    WA1NTA

11. w7auw

w7auw Banned QRZ Page

NTA,   well said. Maybe the way you portrayed it these boys won't have to feel so threatened. It's a hobby, not a privilage but a grant , and privilage to use our grant. and isn't it wonderful in using what we have to help folks that only know it was some saint of a person that "told me my so,my daughter,my momma,(you fill in the blanks) is ok, is still alive, is missing you them whatever, I am proud when our hobby helps someone who cannot help them selves, in spite of themselves, don't be embarrassed and do not listen to the non-radio folks. Hell Grossman probably recieved some news to yak about and make hisself $ only he didn't aknowledge that it came from some ham-guy who was informed. 73

12. NO9N

NO9N Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the lady that just looked at my bug catcher then looked at me a shook her head would agree that we are at least a little weird.

13. w7auw

w7auw Banned QRZ Page

hahahah! YUP

14. N2NH

N2NH Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem with being silent is that the perception of who we are and what we do, already misunderstood by the public, is further distorted by a person who is at best ignorant. Hams as a group are very good at action. Many are overachievers and when there's an emergency, they're there. The problem is that the public does NOT know this. Be quiet, and you run the risk of giving him credibility. When we aren't taken seriously on issues like BPL, bandwidth, RFI and antenna restrictions, you can thank the extremely distorted view that people like this give us.

John/N2NH

15. G0OIL

G0OIL Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for letting me know.  I just sent the following email to Time and would urge others to do the same:

73 de G0OIL

Dear sirs,

To quote your website: "Power Line Named Blog of the Year: TIME also names Power Line its Blog of the Year. “Before this year, blogs were a curiosity, a cult phenomenon, a faintly embarrassing hobby on the order of ham radio...” writes TIME’s Lev Grossman.

Since Mr Grossman appears to regard Ham Radio as a "faintly embarrassing hobby", he should be made aware of the valuable Asian tsunami disaster relief currently carried out by radio hams.  Perhaps he should read the following articles:

"The Hindu" newspaper did an article called "Hams to the rescue" at
    http://www.hindu.com/mp/2005/01/01/stories/2005010102470200.htm

And they also did "Hams lend a helping hand" at
    http://www.hindu.com/mp/2004/12/30/stories/2004123000350100.htm

He should also be told that he is an uninformed cretin.  

Kind regards

Dave White (a radio ham)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.