ad: MyersEng-1

Ham Radio 360: 13 Colonies Special Event

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4CDN, Jun 27, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W6NYA

W6NYA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was disappointed to see no QSL card available from at least one of the "colonies". As soon as I saw that I stopped trying for that particular one, and focused on the rest.

Jim
    W6NYA

2. KC5YWN

KC5YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

On the main page they do say the are offering QSL's: QSL CARDS: ALL Colony stations will issue a special event QSL card. K2A/N2SQW for 2017+ will issue a QSL card for NY. For all 12 other cards, please QSL to that Colony States designated QSL Manager on our web site. Also please include an SASE for the QSL card only.

3. WB2MJG

WB2MJG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Fred, The only location more difficult to hear than K1K was GB13COL! I guess we were too close.

Peter
    WB2MJG

4. W6NYA

On the qrz page for k2l (south carolina) it says:

"2017 k2l qsl via lotw/eqsl only. No 2017 qsl cards, please do not send a card hoping to get a return one. No cards will be sent for 2017"

????

Jim
    W6NYA

K2HAT likes this.
  5. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Yes that is true. The "QSL Manager" said he doesn't have the time to do paper. LOTW takes no time, just upload your adif file from your logging program.

I don't have a problem with this, I don;t chase the State QSL Cards anymore, I just want the Certificate. :)

[​IMG]

W6NYA likes this.
  6. W6NYA

I prefer the paper qsl cards and my qrz log. I dont participate in lotw or eqsl. I'll collect the individual cards, not really interested in the certificates. To each his own. They dont need to offer a paper qsl card, thats their choice, I just find it odd that one doesn't (even while displaying their qsl card on their qrz page)and the rest do for the same event, and why Ill work some and not the others. Just some input.

Im guessing Im not the only one who didnt realize there were some stations not participating in the paper qsl with sase. Most of us dont get all the stations logged for various reasons, the paper qsl's are nice.

:)

Jim
    W6NYA

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  7. KC5YWN

KC5YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

And good luck getting the rest of your QSL cards and contacts left till midnight tonight. also side note I've already got all contacts for this event, But what id like to see is those stations like the GB13COL and WM3PEN and most others that are doing it like call by the numbers like they are doing not have self police people key up on freq. make comments and tune up deliberate interfering with station making it hard to copy and hear what going on even getting a call back not knowing If it you or someone else. But it happens... Good luck to everyone to finish up to get your Clean Sweeps!!!!!!

W6NYA likes this.
  8. W6NYA

Ive only got 7 so far but enjoying it immensely. I agree, people need to keep cool and enjoy. I heard a bit of nonsense as well.

Congrats!

Jim
    W6NYA

9. W5LMM

W5LMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

3rd year in a row for me, have all of them except WM3PEN and obviously the British station, impossible for me. But WM3PEN has been extra hard this year. haven't heard him at all.

W6NYA likes this.
  10. KD4RAF

KD4RAF Ham Member QRZ Page

were s k2l !

11. KA4AQM

KA4AQM Ham Member QRZ Page

Logsheet in mail to KU2US today. Had a blast. K2B was the elusive one this year for me. This event generates a lot of radio activity in many modes. The certificate is well laid out and printed on quality paper. SRI if I inadvertently stepped on anyone during the chase. Congrats to QRPers who make clean sweep. Heard quite a few folks west of Mississippi since 40m stayed "long" for most of the time. There should be quite a few clean sweep certificates headed that way once the event is over. I don't agree to using WARC bands for this event, just my opinion.

Randy
    KA4AQM
    Chesapeake, Va

12. K1TGX

K1TGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was doing some casual operating on the 4th & thought I'd try and snag a few. Pretty soon that changed to 'wouldn't it be cool to get a clean sweep on the 4th'. Long story short I worked the all incl GB13 and WM3 except for K2B :( I hunted and hunted and searched the spotting sites but just couldn't find them. As I was about to give up I see a spot of them on 160m. Ahhh, no antenna for 160 :( My fan dipole is for 80/40/20. I try to load it up but my amp won't hear it - shows an infinite swr. The K3S however will let me put out about 50w. After many calls he digs me out of the noise. It was a fun chase & I didn't manage to blow anything up!

WB2MJG and W6NYA like this.
  13. KY4JLB

KY4JLB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great Event, I got the Penn Station but not England nor K2B which had so many pile ups!! Still listening and hoping for VA!

14. KA4AQM

KA4AQM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hang in there...not over till it's over. And not over till Jul 7th, midnight, EDST. Good luck! Just spotted on 40m-SSB portion.
    Randy
    KA4AQM

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  15. N3HWH

N3HWH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great event. Need GB but still have time. Thanks to the organizers.