ad: CQMM-1

Ham Radio 360: 13 Colonies Special Event

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4CDN, Jun 27, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K4CDN

K4CDN Ham Member QRZ Page

In this episode of the Ham Radio 360 Podcast we discuss the upcoming 13 Colonies Special Event. I connected with Bob, ND7J, the webmaster for the event as well as an event operator from the state of North Carolina. I feature our conversation in this episode of HamRadio 360.

The 13 Colonies Special Event is held during Independence Weekend each July and began in 2009, as a ‘One Time’ event. After logging over 12,000 contacts with just 13 operators, it’s founder Ken, KU2US, discovered he was onto something. Since it’s inception the event has grown exponentially with many more state operators and a network of help that spans the globe.

Listen Link Here

[​IMG]

Show Notes and Links Here

I also share some recent podcast appearances of mine. Firstly, Horses in the Morning as I try to explain Ham Radio in less than 10 min and the Rain Report with Hap Holly (KC9RP).

Bonus Content: Pecos Valley ARC (W5ZU) **Roswell Incident** Special Event July 1-4

thank you for listening and here's to a Successful Independence Day Operating Weekend!

73, Cale/K4CDN

KF1P, K3TEF and N8QQE like this.
  2. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the PodCast guys. I'm looking forward to a 'clean sweep' this year.

K4CDN likes this.
  3. N8QQE

N8QQE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good luck to everyone involved... I always enjoy hunting down all the stations of the 13 Colonies Special Event.

K4CDN likes this.
  4. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just remember to post spots when find one of them so we can all pile on together!

K4OBL, K3MCA, N8QQE and 1 other person like this.
  5. KA4AQM

KA4AQM Ham Member QRZ Page

Pure fun and pandemonium...at the same time. See & spot.
    Randy
    KA4AQM

K4CDN likes this.
  6. AB1OC

AB1OC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Looking forward to making the 2017 Thirteen Colonies Special Event the biggest yet!

Fred, de K2K New Hampshire

WB2MJG, KC2P and K4CDN like this.
  7. NX1Q

NX1Q XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Spot...yeah...AFTER I pick them up, heh heh.

K4CDN and K3RW like this.
  8. W3TPL

W3TPL Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking forward to the event... this is the kick in the butt I needed to get my antenna hung!

K4CDN likes this.
  9. W6NYA

W6NYA Ham Member QRZ Page

Will be listening from Southern California--keep a spot open!

Jim
    W6NYA

K4CDN likes this.
  10. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

K4CDN and W3TPL like this.
  11. KU2US

KU2US Ham Member QRZ Page

betsy.gif KU2US here! This year is going to be fantastic. More operators, Hopefully good propagation, and all our operators are super enthusiastic! It is a time to have some big time fun. Barbie and a brew with the family, parties, fireworks and a time when we all can honor the original 13 Colony States, and our active military and veterans using Ham Radio! Even the folks running the GB13COL British bonus station from Durham England are ready to go. Not to forget our other bonus station from Philadelphia, the cradle of our democracy-WM3PEN! All I ask is to have some patience, because as you know, the pile ups will be enormous! Every one of our Operators have pledged to give everyone a "Q" who calls in, for as long as it takes, so you can get that "Clean Sweep-All 13 Colony States" endorsement on your requested certificate. I would like to thank all of our state Operators and bonus stations operators for giving up some of their holiday to do this. BUT also to all those who call us through the pile ups for a contact. Last year we did over 139,000 contacts. This year we are trying for close to 150,000! Please don't forget that July 1st is Canada Day! Let's also wish our neighbors to the north a hearty shout out! Give us a call, have a great 4th of July week and God Bless America! LET'S ROLL! 73' Ken Villone-Event Manager: K2A/NY (KU2US)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    W3TPL and K4CDN like this.
  12. W8OMI

W8OMI Ham Member QRZ Page

I enjoyed the special event > I have made two clean sweeps over the last couple years. good luck everyone. w8omi

K4CDN likes this.
  13. N3ZV

N3ZV Ham Member QRZ Page

Greetings everybody! I am a K2B, Virginia, operator. Last year I made a few thousand Q's. I would like to add to that total. I take vacation for this event because I like the event so much. Please remember that you only have to work each K2? station once for the clean sweep. The pile ups get pretty big so please be kind to the operators as some of them do not have pile up experience. Please listen to the K2? station as they may be trying to work a low power or QRP station, they may work by the numbers or by geographical areas. Lets make this a fun event and get past the 150,000 Q mark. There are 2 special stations, one is William Penn station in PA and the other is from England. Lets have some fun!!

Whitney
    N3ZV
    K2B Virginia

K4XJ and K4CDN like this.
  14. KU2US

KU2US Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Whitney! You are a Ham Radio ANIMAL! 6990 Contacts last year! LOVE IT! I would love to see you break last years total! Make Danny KI4TYK happy! :)

K4CDN likes this.
  15. W7LZN

W7LZN Ham Member QRZ Page

Will be my first year participating, hope it goes well!

K4CDN likes this.