ad: Alphaant-1

Ham Radio 360: 13 Colonies Special Event

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4CDN, Jun 27, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD4RAF

KD4RAF Ham Member QRZ Page

WERE IS K2L !

2. KU2US

KU2US Ham Member QRZ Page

13 colonies web site is down! GO TO KU2US at qrz.com.. for directions on printable log sheets and other information...

3. KA4AQM

KA4AQM Ham Member QRZ Page

Correction: event ends midnight JULY 6th, not Jul 7th.
    Randy
    KA4AQM

4. KY4JLB

KY4JLB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Finally got K2B late last night on 40 meter!! " God Bless America"
    Johnnie
    KY4JLB

WJ4U likes this.
  5. WB2MJG

WB2MJG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I had no plans on working this event UNTIL I heard K2A on 40m. Then it became an infection. For me, K2K and GB13COL were the toughest. Kept hearing K2K, only 40 miles away, working folks hundreds or thousands of miles out. But I eventually nabbed them and GB13 for a clean sweep of all 15 stations. Great fun. I appreciate the effort that goes into coordinating and operating this event for us. Thank you all. Only used my IC-756PRO barefoot @ 100W into a G5RV at 30 feet. next year I'll have an A4S up for 40-10!!
    Peter
    WB2MJG

6. K1QED

K1QED Ham Member QRZ Page

The event is almost over but there is still time to get the elusive ones, especially K2B. Fortunately I am retired and have a patient wife..... But I can't pull in GB13COL out of the mud. I'm running a FT-817nd barefoot with about 2-3 watts and got all 14 stations stateside. QPR is a game of patience and at my age I don't have time for QPR (!!) but it still is fun to dig them out. 72 to all!

7. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm still looking for I and D but haven't seen them over the last couple days

8. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I had all but given up on getting a clean sweep - I could not make contact with K2E (DE) - for four days I chased him around and called for him. Then last night, I was spinning the big dial looking for a net and I heard a booming voice - it was K2E and he had not been spotted yet. I called him and made contact ... THEN I spotted him :)

I must have been shooting straight up and coming straight down because I could hear everyone in a 100 mile radius.

I never did get GB13COL - maybe next year.

9. N6OIL

N6OIL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Still need K2B K2H and GB13COL maybe this year I'll get a clean sweep. It's tough from SoCal. I got K2D this morning on 17m and he was loud.

N5EAL likes this.
  10. KU2US

KU2US Ham Member QRZ Page

The 13 Colonies web site will not be up at all. Bob ND7J stated that He will not put the web site up because of all the emails he is getting??? PLEASE GO TO MY QRZ.COM PAGE at KU2US. There you will find info and directions to a printable log sheet.

11. N5EAL

N5EAL Ham Member QRZ Page

Almost clean sweep. Making the GB13COL is too much for my 857d's 100W and inverted vee.
    Can't even hear the CQ call.
    It was fun! Thx

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  12. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Dont think anyone West of the Mississippi worked the GB13COL!

W6NYA and N5EAL like this.
  13. W6NYA

W6NYA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, I ended up with 10 of the 13 plus the Wm3Pen station from here in Southern Cal. There was a flurry of activity yesterday but the colony stations I needed didn't seem to be on 20m at all on the last day , one had disappeared from the spotter's page all together. I could hear the GB station being worked but could only hear the pileup, not the station. All in all a fun event--many thanks to the volunteers that devoted their time and equipment.

Jim
    W6NYA

14. W6NYA

W6NYA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah its still down--was there a bunch of hate mail or something? He could still leave the site up, just not answer the hater mail...

Jim
    W6NYA

15. KC5YWN

KC5YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

I did 1st day
    GB13COL KC5YWN [​IMG] 2017-07-02 00:51 40m SSB 59 59
    His time was the 2nd It was July 1st that evening...Propagation this year on most bands was bad some days but the storms they have to the east makes it difficult to work some days..Got up Sat morn and got most in 2 1/2 hrs then got the 3 left. The last two had to listen and got WM3PEN then took 3 tries got GB13COL great event lots of stations and lots of fun will do next year for #5 Sweep!!!!!