ad: k1jek

Ham Arrested at NC Airport

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4PG, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W8AJL

W8AJL Ham Member QRZ Page

Really done with this whole K8JSM story

Seriously being a ham and in L.E. I gave the guy the benifit of doubt on this till today. Im not saying he did anything seriously wrong but its obvious that he did need a wake up call as to how he has projected himself in life. One must come to terms with who they are in this world and how one carries ones self. Its obvious that Sean has some issues with understanding a line of do not cross.

Police work if that is what he was trying to imulate is not all gun,radio and siren happy its a hard job and seeing some of those things changes ones life sometimes forever. From all that I have read I dont believe Sean has common sense to understand that somethings are best left to those that have the understanding. 1# pulling someone over just to see if he could in Ohio County W.V. 2# Involving himself in a rolling domestic in Coshocton County Ohio and 3# the incident in N.C. I assume that the reason that Sean was charged was because of his behaviour and actions towards the officers.

In todays world domestic terrorist do not have to be Muslim they can be anyone and if his previous actions are a learning tool I would say that some of that came out when he had contact with N.C. police. I as an officer would stop him if I thought he was acting in a suspicous manner and lets not forget the president was there at one point. Local police may or may not have been privy to when the president was leaving so their interest were to secure the life of one of the most powerful men in the world.

I cant say how this would have played out if I would have been the officer that rolled by and seen him with his gun because I wasnt there and dont know what was said or the actions Sean had to the officer but I would say that there are some problems that need to be looked at. I have never spoken to Sean on the local repeater but I have heard him on. He always seemed to hold a civil conversation and never showed a less than civil side when I was monitoring.

Im not sure if my thoughts will change any ideas people have had but I think we are approaching a point of closure on this topic but to each his own gentlemen 73's

2. N0WVA

N0WVA Ham Member QRZ Page

In that case we would all be in jail, wouldnt we? Especially those of us who grew up in the 70's and 80's Heck, I usd to buy Saltpeter at the drug store for mixing my own model rocket propellant. Not even sure if you can still get that stuff.

What would have really been bad is if the kid had planned on doing some gardening when he got home and had bought a bag of fertilizer which was laying in the trunk. Now that would have really been bad judgement. But you know, its sad that we have to live in fear. Fear of "terrorism" and fear from what someone might "think" we are going to do.

In a sense, these kinds of mishaps show us that in todays world we have to somehow read the future and play defense on what someone might "think". Very sad.

3. N8CPA

N8CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

4. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Well Said

That just about says it all. Accurate and concise. BTW, thank you for your service to your community.

I guess I've come from first being defensive of his appearance, actions, etc., to now just where you are.

When you look at what he's done before, he probably should have been detained. If, in fact, he was wearing the sidearm or had one in the passenger compartment on display. Doing either anywhere near an airport or the President is sound reason for suspicion.

For all we know, he could have had ill intent, but arrived a bit too late.

Society today, as you said, is a lot different than it used to be. Certainly, amateur radio is different today than it used to be. At least in terms of why some of us have licenses. "Strictly for emcomm" is heard more and more as the sole reason for licensure. Sure wasn't that way 49 years ago when I was first licensed. Back then, we had to sign a loyalty oath. The worry was that we might be spies, using HF to convey information. Only one was that I know of, Supervising FBI Agent, Robert Hanssen and I don't remember his call. The FCC cancelled his license.

Unless you're on a farm, in the woods hiking or hunting, or in law enforcement, I can't think of a good reason to openly carry or display a firearm. And, that includes not wearing it into any public business, and especially the local gun shop.

5. KI4KFW

KI4KFW Ham Member QRZ Page

Your link no longer works please put in the address.

6. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

How *DARE* they change their news links!! :eek:

Alas, you'll have to search the WLOS site to find the relevant story. I guess it's old hat now.

...........Bob

7. KI4KFW

KI4KFW Ham Member QRZ Page

This link worked better.That guy is just an idiot! You take a firearm too were the president was supposed too be? No only should you be arrested but beaten senseless for being to stupid too walk upright. JMO.

Bruce KI4KFW

8. WA9JAM

WA9JAM Ham Member QRZ Page

Nut case

Sounds to me like he should do some time, If your near the President, or at an event with the President, you surely don't want to be packing ! !
    Just because you have a "Ham" plate, doen't mean that your smart, thats sure is proof.

9. WA9JAM

WA9JAM Ham Member QRZ Page

Dead man walkin

Exactly !
    He could have been shot on the spot !

10. AE6JM

AE6JM Ham Member QRZ Page

A man after my own heart. Not only was what he did perfectly legal, Arizona just did away with their Concealed Weapons Permits, the third state that now allows concealed weapons for law abiding citizens, no permit necessary. Makes me want to move.

One more note, it is generally accepted police procedure to arrest someone on the maximum charges, and let the prosecuting attorney sort it out or give a plea deal.

11. AH2I

AH2I Ham Member QRZ Page

NC Airport Incident

The video said he had a siren & flashing lights in his car. My cousin is a ham & volunteer firefighter/paramedic. NC allows firefighter to use red/white flashing lights & sirens. Wisconsin, the state right above me, allows red/yellow lights & siren. If he is a firefighter, then he has a legitimate reason to have the emergency lights and siren.

The only problem is, even with a concealed or open carry permit or through state law, you can’t bring a loaded gun on airport property. The same rule applies to jails, post offices, schools, and other government or municipal buildings and properties.

The big question is: Why was he trying to get near the President wearing a sidearm, even with a permit? They’ll never let anyone non law enforcement get near him, ever. If he thought he was going to intimidate him wearing a sidearm, he’s nuts!

Even regular police can’t enter the jet bridges (gates) of an airport unless its an absolute emergency. Only federal authorities, FFDO pilots can do it. There are strict laws regulating entry in restricted areas with firearms.

With so many people angry at Obama, there is no chance of anyone getting near him with any kind of weapon. Not going to happen! So, I guess he will pay the consequence of his actions, no doubt.

12. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Even though the individual is doing nothing but watching a plane take off from a public place like a car rental parking lot huh?

Seems kinda harsh doesn't it?

13. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

He wasn't trying to get near the president, he was in a parking lot.
    He wasn't trying to enter any restricted area, he was in a parking lot.
    What law do you think he broke, other than maybe illegal parking?

Joe

14. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Apparently, would you actually believe he wasn't?

15. K4UUG

K4UUG Ham Member QRZ Page

MANY EMCOMMERS ARE JUST PLAIN WACKOS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
Thread Status: