ad: UR5CDX-1

Ham Arrested at NC Airport

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4PG, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

You need to do a tad more reading. The Coshocton sheriff was quoted in the local paper on line to the effect that he had issued a CC permit to him, about a week ago. The sheriff just revoked it due to his arrest, pending ajudication.

As to his supposed "contacting dispatch" in an earlier incident in Ohio, that was most likely via CB or a cell phone. If he used a modded 2M transceiver, he's dumber than I think he is. On the other hand, if he happened to have a Part 90, type accepted radio on the sheriff's allocation, and a letter of permission from the licensee to use it in conjunction with his volunteer activity, that makes it legal. I won't cite the section of 47CFR90, but you can go find it yourself. Citizen action teams around the country have such gear and permission to use it.

2. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Please, show us a link to the story or the citation itself.

Thanks.

3. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Siren / PA..
    What do you want to bet he has a Wig-Wag and the horn ring option is hooked up for the siren. :p

4. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Or, maybe one of those "Missouri"-type Show-Me jobs. Then, there's Whelen. Speaking of Whelen, I saw one of their salesmen the other day in Alabaster, AL driving his Tahoe SUV. I had to look two times to make out the Whelen logo on the door. It looked just like a State Trooper rig, with light bars, blue LED groups and all...... Sure hope he doesn't drive it through West Virginia.

Maybe he has a master switch that disconnects all power to the "goodies" when he's in motion. :)

I run a Motorola Spectra on 2M, and have a PA Siren for it. I just haven't hooked it up yet, though. If I can find a good siren horn speaker, I will. Of course, only for the PA function. Wouldn't dream of enabling the siren feature....... And, oh yes, if I decide to go to Dayton some time, I'll make sure I don't drive through NC or WV.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  5. WA4TM

WA4TM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm curious about what happened to "I want to hear his side BEFORE I judge him" or something to that effect in the tread yesterday that got deleted?...

I'm not trying to start anything, I am just curious about the change of heart..

6. AF6LJ

I haven't made up my mind yet, I still want to hear his side...
    I was commenting on what he most likely has in his vehicle. If I had a Siren, I would have the horn ring feature hooked up.
    It's actually fun.
    If you have all that stuff;
    You might as well get a Wig-Wag to go with it all.
    I just wonder if he had the signaling device that changes the traffic lights from red to green. :)
    I doubt it, you can get in trouble with that.

7. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Some of us are trying to make light of the situation. Possession of an electronic siren box, amp and speaker isn't a crime. Unless its used as a siren. For instance, the Motorola Spectra Siren/PA is just that. Three functions. Siren or PA or receiver audio power amp. If I connect mine, it wll only be capable of the last two functions.

Being a skywarn volunteer, I could envision the need to hear receiver audio outside during a storm. Most small transceivers don't have enough audio power to drive a decent horn speaker, and an external amplifier receiver audio function is available in just about every siren box I've run across.

I would like to hear his story via his attorney.....preferably.

8. AF6LJ

Those are nice.

9. K2GSP

K2GSP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Are you kidding or what? There is no false arrest here. They arrested him on a law that's a judgment call. They get to do that. The courts will determine if he's guilty. And I seriously doubt they were going to let him keep his gun, until the media got to shoot a couple pictures to satisfy your need to see it. And your theory that they searched his car and then found a weapon and that it was not on him at the time, borders on the absurd. I'm sure the Secret Service couldn't wait to join in on a conspiracy with the local police to frame this kid. Give me a break.

And further, how hard do you think it's going to be to prove to a court, when he has a history of brandishing a weapon to threaten?

"After a man at the scene refused to respond, McVey went back to his car, retrieved a .40-caliber handgun and placed it in his holster so that it was visible, the report said. He walked back to the car, where the man was talking to the woman through her window, the report said."

10. W0RM

W0RM Ham Member QRZ Page

Nothing wrong with a gun

Nothing wrong with having a gun at an airport. Where I live it is perfectly legal, as long as you don't try to go through security with it you are fine. Would I carry in an airport legally, yes I would and I have.

Openly Carrying of a handgun is fine here too but you still have to have the license. Would I OC around my neighborhood or for a run to the store, Yes would and have. Would I OC at or in an airport? Not unless I had plenty of time on my hands and bail money handy. Nothing illegal about it but you don't get to argue that with the police, you have to do your arguing with the judge later. Arrest does not equal guilt.

Would I want to go see the President for any reason? No thanks. Would I tell someone I wanted to go see him while OCing my handgun near the airport knowing the President was around? Again, not unless I had plenty of time on my hands and bail money handy.

I'm not saying he did anything illegal, and I know from experience how the news media does not always have the whole story, or just plain gets it wrong, but it could be that the only thing he is guilty of is bad judgment.

11. WD4RAY

WD4RAY Ham Member QRZ Page

Location location location

Local info here:
    http://wtrf.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=78908

http://wtrf.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=78942

http://www.wtov9.com/news/23265009/detail.html

You can obtain other links in related stories from the above.

In the state of Ohio we have CCF and open carry. We even have a law that recently passed banning any law that would ban ccf or open carry. We're serious about "The right to bear arms"!

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/ohio.pdf
    http://opencarry.org/oh.html

http://opencarry.org/nc.html

It is difficult looking/searching through the state.gov pages for specific laws sometimes. Thus far I've been unable to come up with NC's laws concerning open and or concealed carry.

Laws in Ohio restrict the carry of firearms in airports. Our young man was carrying and at an airport. I would assume NC carry laws do not differ that much from Ohio's concerning airports.

12. WA0FDV

WA0FDV Ham Member QRZ Page

13. WA0FDV

WA0FDV Ham Member QRZ Page

14. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Removed by Sender

15. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.