ad: elecraft

Goodbye FT8, Hello Olivia, The MAGIC Digital Mode For HF!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KJ4YZI, Oct 23, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

OLIVIA and CONTESTIA are great modes. 8/250,8/500,8/1000 are fun de KA1BSZ/M

2. KA1BSZ

well then get on and practice your typing speed and use olivia 8/500 and work me on 8/500 contestia and olivia 14.072.50 khz de KA1BSZ/M

3. KA1BSZ

people complain because they can't type any faster than 2 words per minute.....SO WHAT? get on the air with olivia,contestia,amtor,pactor. how can you learn if you don't use it? DE KA1BSZ/M 14.072.50 KHZ.

4. F1ABE

F1ABE Subscriber QRZ Page

5. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Baudot Forever or go to HELL! :)

WB0MM and W1MNK like this.
  6. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My favorite is MFSK16 but I see few using it anymore. I like JT9 also.

But actually though I want to get rid of SSB and all digital modes and be able to legally fire up my 110 year old spark gap transmitter and send Morse code and use my coherer tapper receiver. That way I'm forward thinking like some of the cry babies that continue to complain about FT8 the zombie mode, etc. ;)

W4NNF likes this.
  7. KK6QMS

KK6QMS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for this. I like JT65 but when I tried FT8 I could not believe it was automated- so lame IMO. Not a mode I have any interest in. Wish FSQ would catch on more as well. 73

8. F1GSA

F1GSA Ham Member QRZ Page

[QUOTE = "F1ABE, post: 4434802, membre: 386525"] Je suis heureux que vous parliez olivia, c'est mon mode préféré, la vitesse est réglable, qso sont beaucoup plus chaud, j'ai 1100 qso sur olivia, j'ai fait des captures d'écran J'envoie au correspondant pour lui juge de la réception ici.
    Olivia est un mode de discussion et non un mode d'enregistrement de qso ou de diplôme.
    Maintenant, je peux dire que grâce à olivia j'ai beaucoup d'amis! voici un exemple de mon qso depuis le début de ce mois.

Eric F1ABE

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/CITATION]
    et pourquoi pas demander un QSY CW035 pour les adeptes de la graphie si les db du FT8 le permette ou autre mode PSK RTTY etc... 73

KK5R likes this.
  9. KD7YVV

KD7YVV Ham Member QRZ Page

Awww c'mon....you KNOW SSTV is the latest and greatest. :) (Sorry, couldn't resist)

10. F1GSA

F1GSA Ham Member QRZ Page

le QSY vers un autre mode (RTTY, PSK, etc) peut être demandé lorsque le signal db le permet, le FT8 doit être privilégié en DX avec petite puissance et pas le ou les KW comme je le vois !!! 73 de F1GSA

KK5R likes this.
  11. W1MDM

W1MDM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

olivia was there back in the 90's ... old mode

12. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought Olivia was Popeye's YL :confused:

[​IMG]

K4CAE and F1ABE like this.
  13. AI5EF

AI5EF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As a foot dragging newcomer to HF digital, I found the video informative. With a few PSK31 contacts under my belt, I'm starting to get the hang of it. After watching the video, I made my first two Contestia 8/250 contacts last night. One on 20 and one on 40. It may be old, but to a newcomer to digital like myself, it was exciting and fun. Isn't this what ham radio is about? Exploring new modes and making contacts? I'm looking forward to going down the rabbit hole of all these "OLD" digital modes.
    Thanks for the video, Eric. I finally get to use my trademark two finger typing technique. ;)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    WB4IUY, KA2K, KK3Q and 1 other person like this.
  14. KD6UY

KD6UY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How do you figure that? Only half the data over the radio channel? Where is the other half when I am not connected to the internet?

K2MOB and KN6Q like this.
  15. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

I had an airplane once by De Havilland called Olivia. Had a ring to it. My Olivia De Havilland. My 3rd granddaughter's middle name is Olivia... I wanted to me marooned on a south sea island with Olivia Newton-John.

Let's just say Olivia flies, in fact it's for the birds.