ad: LZQSLprint-1

GigaParts Technology Superstore Grand Opening 3/23/24

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4LKO, Mar 22, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W2KS

W2KS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't forget the Treasure Coast...Lots of hams here!

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The exciting thing here is that a hobbyist can come into the store, and realized that hams aren't JUST something you see on MUNSTER re-runs. IOW it opens the opportunity for learning more.

There are probably 40 amateur astronomers (AA's)for every hams, but probably many of those AA's would consider ham radio if they could 'touch and feel' radios, and know that ham radio is still a 'thing'.

Nice job Gigaparts!

WA4KCN and KJ5T like this.
  3. VK4GP

VK4GP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Be nice if they posted to Australia - but it seems we are on the no no list

4. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

They did try. I do believe I was shown a $5,000 Kenwood TS-890 that Australian customs completely disassembled and sent back.

5. KM4DLM

KM4DLM Ham Member QRZ Page

6. KM4DLM

Thank you for your kind words of support! GigaParts hopes to have an opportunity to serve you in the future! 73!

7. KM4DLM

Please note, GigaParts does ship to Australia ... but there are some items your country will not allow to enter. Some manufacturers also restrict their items being shipped outside of the USA. GigaParts does hope to have an opportunity to serve you in the future!

8. K0HWY

K0HWY Ham Member QRZ Page

Everything's dying. That's just the natural order of things. That means we just need to make the most out of it while it's here. It sure would be nice to see a return to the days when you had at least somewhat of an electronic parts store within driving distance for most of us. But they were kept alive by the consumer electronics service industry, which has also since died. But I was fortunate enough to enjoy it for 12 years before it did! :D Shopping online just isn't quote the same as going in to a shop with all kinds of eye candy to tempt you into buying three times what you came to get.

9. W2KS

W2KS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

10. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"Well, the world don't move, to the beat of of just one drum... what might be right you, may not be right for some..."

Well, this Bunny Berigan fan has been in a ham radio store only once. The experience, as new hammy, left me quite sour; it was my first and only visit going into a store: HRO Salem NH in June '05. I will leave it at that as not to embarrass the "people" that worked there at that time, though, I've talked openly about that experience on the Waltham ARA 440 repeater for a decade. Hence, I quickly learned of online shopping and AES, DX Engineering, and had been shopping for decades with Antique Electronic Supply, Mouser, and Tessco and I've never looked back (the later three being catalog and/or online shopping since the 1990s). Personally, I'd much rather shop online unless I am buying a suit.

Just MO yours may differ.

"Different strokes for different folks..."

K0HWY likes this.
  11. KI4KWR

KI4KWR Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That is correct....shipping to Australia and New Zealand is not fun.

KK9W likes this.
  12. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

Germany isnt better. Tax, toll and shipping makes everything overpriced. Tried it in another store with a computer keyboard. It started in the basket from around 100 $ and came in the end to around 190 $. Here is the point to think it all over.

13. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was on the fence about doing Huntsville this year, I missed it last year because I did Hamvention in May and I plan to do Hamvention again this year but if I can convince my wife and funds allow I need to get out there to check out this new store!

14. K0HWY

K0HWY Ham Member QRZ Page

I hate to hear you had a bad experience. I've been in HRO in Atlanta several times though the years and have always had pleasant experiences. However, I was speaking more of true parts stores as opposed to radio sales. Locally, we had a fine company called Southeastern Electronics and they either stocked or could quickly get about anything from tubes, to transistors, to capacitors to resistors. And they were always friendly and addressed repeat customers by their first name. They made you feel as if they valued your patronage. The world is a less personable place today. Chances are, you know more than they do about what they're selling which in my case is pretty darn concerning. Younger people in general lack social and communication skills which isn't entirely their fault; they were raised by devices and their interactions often mimic computer responses. It's not going to be like it was in 1986 when I'd walk up to the counter to get a part and have my diodes held hostage until I listened to and laughed at the Pollock joke of the day from the lead salesman. If you didn't laugh, you may or may not get your part. Again, I'm glad I was able to experience the tail end of the walk-in parts store era.

15. AD7J

AD7J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes Fry's died but that was a combo of money miss management and COVID. I heard that someone in the family took a lot of money and they didn't have cash for inventory.
    Gigaparts left Las Vegas and that was disappointing but it was more of a distribution than a store. But it was nice being able to walk in and get something without shipping.